35 (38.9%)
endurance
6 (6.7%)
agility
24 (26.7%)
wisdom
25 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Human with poor strength makes me cry blood. Dwarf ranger with poor agility makes me want to be buried alive.

Other than that don't really mind but if my stats are heaps different from mdesc I am ocd about it and change from muscular to lean etc.

Quote from: Clearsighted on June 30, 2015, 08:32:39 PM
Quote from: Jingo on June 30, 2015, 08:29:04 PM
Stats honestly shouldn't be as extreme as they are in game. Ever played an elf with poor strength or endurance? It's not fun.

Most of the time stats aren't too extreme...unless you're an elf or a half-giant. And then either poor strength or poor agility/wisdom can be a Sisyphean ordeal at best.

But there's really not a lot of difference for say, humans, between good and extremely good, etc, except in encumbrance.

I really disagree when it comes to strength. The difference between above average strength and Excellent strength, is MASSIVE.

poor
below average    -Wimp, good luck with a full set of leather and two water-skins in your pack
average

above average
good                -Average, you can wear a full set of armor and maybe some heavier pieces in vital spots.
very good

extremely good
excellent                      -You hit like Thor, and don't need armor because you kill everything before it hits you.
Absolutely incredible

I have had above VG str once in like 50 or so pcs. And that was exceptional on a burglar.

I've had exceptional, exceptional, extremely good and average on a merchant before.

Human stats

Strength:
Poor - you appear to be some sort of animate bundle of yarn?
Below average - You don't like the look of that full set of leather gear. You try to dress light and it's AWFULLY heavy.
Average - Alright, full set of leathers! Make sure you're e-twoing a sensibly sized weapon, though.
Above average - Full leathers, AND a bastard sword. No backpack though. Or waterskins.
Good - Good news! Waterskins!
Very good - And your pack, too!
Extremely good - Now you can wear heavy armor with all of that!
Exceptional - You appear to be some sort of demi-god?
Absolutely incredible - You appear to be some sort of god?

Endurance:
Poor to Above average - No appreciable difference, but not great.
Above average to very good - Passable.
Extremely good to absolutely incredible - You don't sweat as much when the group passes by a sinkhole.

Agility:
All my characters with below average agility have been wombo-combo'd not too far in, or they weren't combat-heavy characters.

Wisdom (for combat characters, mages notwithstanding):
Poor - You are, quite literally, retarded. You'll get journeyman slashing weapons at thirty days if you play sensibly and without inside code knowledge.
Below average to Above Average - Eh.
Above average to very good - Had one character with wisdom in this range and he was okay?
Exceptional - Branch at one and a half days played.
Absolutely incredible - ?

If you get a half-elf warrior with less than average endurance and your wisdom isn't just ridiculous. Store. It's not worth it. Don't do it. You don't deserve that. You're a good person.

I actually think elves get higher hp and stun than half-elves and idk why??

Guess on some level it is really dependent on your combat class, if you're using the stats for such. For a warrior, strength is the monster. Also, I've noticed, out of the box, I could hit things (as in accuracy) I just never dreamed of being able to on a day played character. I had one of those demi-god characters. I'll miss you dude.

On a serious note, the difference between EG strength and VG human strength, is never bouncing off of a scrab's shell with your blows.

Endurance leans toward my second favorite stat, because I just dream of the day I can see a whopping 130 health on a human. I don't know if it's possible, but if it is, I'm guessing that chara leans toward long lived character. You'll just manage to get by, -barely- by a few OHKOs that would have gotten you otherwise over the course of a long life.

From my limited, frog's-eye experience, it seems that agility affects your chance-to-hit much more than strength (if strength even affects it at all).  I think you might be suffering from MEGA HIT bias, which makes people -think- they're more awesome than they really are, simply because they're landing MEGA HITs even on shit target locations, due to their strength bonus and/or having good weapons.  And I mean, yeah, it is pretty cool landing MEGA HITs on shit target locations.  Buuut, you're not really "good" until you're chaining head-and-neck shots.

I could be totally wrong, of course.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I can't pick... it's probably fun or at least novel to have godly values in every stat, in its own unique way, whether it's reeling your opponents, helping yourself to their inventory, 130 hp, or rapid-fire branching.  Just like the individual classes are fun in their own ways.

Strength and agility are probably the most "fun", but if you gave me a character with poor everything I'd be up for the challenge (carpe diem!)
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Quote from: Synthesis on July 03, 2015, 09:40:16 AM
From my limited, frog's-eye experience, it seems that agility affects your chance-to-hit much more than strength (if strength even affects it at all).
From my own frog-eye perspective, I think agility helps determine where you hit more than if you hit. Strength definitely helps you hit people and hit them hard, but my agi fighters got a lot more head, neck and wrist shots in.

I had a city elf warrior with 2 AI's once (str and agi). My first fight ever of the game was to get jumped by all 4 muggers on Hathors. I don't think they even knicked me and I killed all 4 with like a pair of throwing daggers. Probably about my 3rd fight was getting jumped by a drov beetle down by Red Storm, and taking it on an all expenses paid vacation to reel-lock city. When a 3 hour played city elf can 3 shot a drov beetle... well, it's a pretty powerful stat.

And that pales in comparison to the deeds of some characters I've heard about. I had a friend who rolled up a dwarf warrior with 3 AIs once years ago. You wouldn't believe some of the things he (claims) to have done with that PC. Apparently he once told a Templar to fuck off in the middle of Allanak... and the Templar asked him to leave the city rather than risk loosing his 5 half-giant NPCs...

High stats can be insane kids.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

July 03, 2015, 04:34:51 PM #86 Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 04:36:52 PM by Clearsighted
Strength affects Offense. A good way to test this for yourself is by two-handing a weapon.

Agility affects attack speed. A good way to test this for yourself is by playing a half-giant.

Agility might affect crit range in general. I don't know. I prefer not to speculate on what can't be independently verified. I think it's highly plausible. High agility characters typically have high wisdom (compared to other races), and so learn quickly.

In my experience, the main determinant of hit location is Offense and weapon skill, vs Defense. A good way to test this for yourself is by wailing on a dummy. By contrast, having low agility, has never seemed to hamper my characters from getting plenty of crits in combat, once they were skilled up.

That's probably about as far as we can discuss it on the GDB.

I do know that when you only have 4 stats some end up having to overlap in where they are effective. Strength and agility both obviously effect combat a great deal, so prioritize them for the best combat characters. Endurance is a catchall for HP, stun, poison, and regeneration, and resisting magickal effects, if you're a newer player and unaware of exactly how much things can fuck you up, this is probably the stat for you.  Wisdom is helpful for all skillgains, and mana. So if you don't care about how quickly your skills go up (or play in a manner where wisdom wouldn't effect you otherwise, like super high playtimes) you should prioritize strength and agility.

There are exceptions, of course. Half-giants should probably avoid Strength priority. And non-melee-combat classes like burglars, pickpockets, most magickers, should probably avoid strength and endurance. Agility and Wisdom all the way for them.

My final thought is that there is too much variance in stats For how much they effect everything they should not sway so violently.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 03, 2015, 05:32:50 PM
My final thought is that there is too much variance in stats For how much they effect everything they should not sway so violently.

I wish every few years, we got to pick one stat to raise. We'd log in for a birthday, and it's ask us for a stat to raise, and then *bam*.

Since stats are always going lower as you age anyways, it won't be a big deal. Plenty of older people maintain their physical fitness as they age, by working harder.

I really enjoyed my half-elf with exceptional endurance. I felt it helped a lot somehow with my grebbing.

I think stats should:

Follow a reasonable bell-curve. To make it far more likely for middle of the road stats to appear.

OR

Have a significantly reduced range of probabilities . I.E. Highest stat is Extremely good. Worst stat is average.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on July 04, 2015, 04:48:10 PM
Have a significantly reduced range of probabilities . I.E. Highest stat is Extremely good. Worst stat is average.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

The less variance there is, the more samey same characters feel. Skills can (and eventually do) make up for bad stats and thanks to reroll, reroll undo and prioritising, you can pretty much get decent stats in any character.

What I'd like to see is the characters have the same number of total points spent on their character. When i do a reroll and every single stat is better than the original roll, it really makes you wonder. I'd prefer it if every player of age bracket X has Y total points to spend. However those points are spent is up to the system (keeping in mind class and player prioritisation). But when you reroll you should get different stats, not across the board better (or worse) stats.

Maybe a random set rolls which can severely impact or even debilitate a character's options -isn't- the best way to get character customization? I guess a points system could be the answer but then players are gonna metagame that like every other aspect of character creation.

And no. Skills don't matter if you can't wear any armor or if you have less than 75 hp.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

It's a game. Imaginary reality aside, it's a game. Yes, we'll meta-game, and so what? It's a game, and we enjoy doing so.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

QuoteAnd no. Skills don't matter if you can't wear any armor or if you have less than 75 hp.

The former is false.  The latter is extremely unlikely, and even then, still false.  Yes, I have had a character that killed many with 79 max hp.  Skills conquer all.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Jingo on July 05, 2015, 02:51:55 AMMaybe a random set rolls which can severely impact or even debilitate a character's options -isn't- the best way to get character customization? I guess a points system could be the answer but then players are gonna metagame that like every other aspect of character creation.
Skill points are the worst. It homogenises characters even more than being able to prioritise stats.

Quote from: Jingo on July 05, 2015, 02:51:55 AMSkills don't matter if you can't wear any armor
Don't dump strength and you can wear armor.

Quote from: Armaddict on July 05, 2015, 04:58:40 AM
QuoteAnd no. Skills don't matter if you can't wear any armor or if you have less than 75 hp.

The former is false.  The latter is extremely unlikely, and even then, still false.  Yes, I have had a character that killed many with 79 max hp.  Skills conquer all.

At least until you come across someone with equitable skill and like, 115 HP or some shit. Bastard.

Quote from: Clearsighted on July 05, 2015, 09:45:24 AMAt least until you come across someone with equitable skill and like, 115 HP or some shit. Bastard.
Assuming someone who dumped wisdom (let's assume you prioritised it) and yet has still attained the same skill level as you, sure. They'll be better off assuming that strength and agility are also the same. However combat tends to be fairly well spread out across all of the stats (better than any other system I've seen) so unless you're assuming someone whose literally equal or better than you in every way, having bad stamina won't necessarily make you a worse fighter than someone with higher stamina.

Number one way to reach badass status: play a bunch of days.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.