Author Topic: Article on Not Storing Your Kickass Noble  (Read 10734 times)

The7DeadlyVenomz

Re: Article on Not Storing Your Kickass Noble
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2015, 02:45:28 PM »
I'd certainly say my current staff is excellent at communication, and I'm glad this is a trend across staffdom.  I had exceptional communication with my staff during my noble tenure as well, and even when they told me no, it made sense (of a sort).

If staff has a predefined list of projects they are ready to tackle in terms of animation and workload, that's pretty cool too.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

TheWanderer

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2015, 03:07:17 PM »
I don't think you guys are on point. It's harder to play a minion for three years than it is to play a noble.

The current system is fine. It just needs some forethought before play. You see, leadership roles are of the roles where you're in charge of whether you have downtime or not; you've been gifted tools, and you're mainly restricted by your own creativity. Do I have to play within the bounds? Duh. You should know that before joining - I mean, damn, it's the GDB's third cycle. Minions who play the way a good minion plays - one who's not gonna go get himself/herself fucked in the ass by an angry horde of rioters and set back your plots, for instance - are not in the same boat. Do you feel a little stressed that they're counting on you? You should. I hate it when people claim they're not responsible for your fun as a leader. It slowly eats away at me that I don't have anything for you to do.

Think about the next plot while the first one is in motion. If I'm ever stumped on what to do next, I blame myself more than anyone else.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 12:15:41 AM by TheWanderer »
Quote from: Robert Bloch
Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk.

Quote from: Alejandro
You will not survive here. You are not a wolf, and this is a land of wolves now.

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2015, 03:09:44 PM »
Oh, I feel eternally responsible for my minions. It eats at me. I have to force myself not to obsess sometimes.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

whitt

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2015, 03:12:32 PM »
This could be an entirely separate article, heh.

My thoughts are you really should approach communication with a work-like mentality.  You have to be polite, even if you feel the other side isn't.  Especially if you feel the other side isn't.
*Always start with a salutation ("dear staff", "hello", "hey guys"), always end with a closing ("thank you", "cheers", "-<yourname>").  This helps keep you in a cordial mindset.
*Do not ever reply while angry/upset.  Sleep on it first if at all possible.
*Before making any request, realize that "no" is always a possibility.  Have a plan for dealing with that.
*Never interpret malice while any other possible motives remain.

Yep an article on assuming best intent, and etc... that the corporate world is inundated with might be a good thing.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2015, 03:25:08 PM »
These all sound like they'd need animation, so I wouldn't even consider starting them unless Staff gave marching orders to that effect. I'd rather respond to Staff orders than request things of your time.

To reiterate, these are effectively pre-approved player-driven plots. Staff has already said "we will support you in running these plots" by virtue of posting these as examples in the player-side documentation. It's not our general policy to order players to pursue plots; we can encourage and invite, but marching orders nearly never happen. We will only give orders if there is something that must be done in order to maintain the integrity of the game world; and even then, we give them sparingly.

So if you're waiting around for orders, you are going to just be waiting, mostly.

My feeling is that even if they're pre-approved they're going to require planning via the request tool to execute. This adds time, which increases the chance of one or more valuable pieces to the plot falling off a cliff, setting the whole thing back who knows how long. It also suggest that the objective isn't something that can be achieved through normal code means. I just feel that if a PC leader can't log in, grab a sufficient number of people and do whatever it is they're wanting to do right then, they're over-doing things.

I'd want to keep my clan busy and entertained with the fairly busy and entertaining game world we have, preparing for that time when Staff do ask us to participate in a staff plot.

When I suggested to Delirium that she could try ignoring Staff, I was speaking mostly in terms of Tor not being allowed to have Scorpions. She alluded to one potential solution in her post: hiring commoner partisans who are equipped and trained much like, but are totally not called, Scorpions. Her not wanting to use that path towards getting Tor a mundane paramilitary capacity is her prerogative, but I would have supported her if she chosen otherwise.

Tor has the option to hire per noble the same number of commoners (two) to do "whatever" that every other noble clan does. If a Tor noble wants to play soldier with those commoners, while realizing OOCly and ICly that this does not mean that the Tor Scorpions are open for play, I guess that's OK. That's not something that has been requested or done.

Personally, I would have violated the letter of the 2 Employee rule to try and maintain the spirit of Tor (i.e. Noble house with paramilitary assets), but it sounds like Staff don't want that to be the spirit anymore. So, yeah, probably good to have agreement between players and staff over what the role should be aiming for before the character even enters the game.

Oh, I feel eternally responsible for my minions. It eats at me. I have to force myself not to obsess sometimes.

Managing minion-assets is easily the most frustrating part of being a leader.

Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Tuannon

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2015, 09:17:50 AM »
"I don't think you guys are on point. It's harder to play a minion for three years than it is to play a noble."

As one of the last slaves in the game as a PC, I can confirm this.

What do you do when a commoner is trying to outdo a slave?

Tetra

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2015, 12:24:54 AM »
Or the alternative, where you have a character you enjoy playing but the situation you're in is so borked that you can't make it work for your playstyle without constantly feeling like you're not devoting enough of your life slaving away for other players' enjoyment and getting angry/whiny/impatient PSIs and PMs from people who have your clan GDB handle.

It isn't a one answer fits all siutation. And it upsets me a little that it seems like the blame is constantly shifted onto players.

There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. Can you feel it?  Can you?
- Rumi

boog

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2015, 10:43:17 AM »
That's always my situation. I have a great concept, it works for a while, then bam. Real life slaps me in the face.

Time to just red shirt it up forever.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Suhuy

« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2015, 05:38:19 AM »
Good stuff, valeria! Thanks for sharing it. I especially liked the Paint Yourself Back out of the Corner part. It's good to create a flexible concept that does not become pointless if your primary ambition is no longer feasible.

Maybe the only thing I'd add, and stress the importance of, is what expectations a noble player should reign in from day one (though I guess your article is more for nobles who have some play time under their belts and are not brand spanking new). Namely, the use of skills. There are exceptions, of course, but by and large you will be playing a relatively skill-less character. Make sure you're okay with this before you embark upon this new role. There's something of a trend for nobles fresh out of character generation to express an interest in sparring. I've done this before as well. It's my opinion that if you're interested in pursuing these activities on a regular basis, you might need to rethink the noble concept you had in mind. Many of you will reply and say yeah but I knew this one noble who used to... or I knew this other noble who always... I'm talking about what you can expect to do with your noble on a day to day basis and how you will be spending the majority of your time with him or her. And it won't be in a sparring hall or out hunting tregils (that's what your underlings are there for). This should be at the forefront of our thoughts as we contemplate creating a noble character. Understanding and accepting this will likely prevent us from instances of submitting a noble and storing a week or two later.

Though I think sticking with your role for even 7 or 8 months is a decent commitment. It depends what opportunities you create for others in that time, really. As Talia said, longevity does not equal success. But let's distinguish IC from OOC success. Even if senior ranks still existed, climbing to one does not equate success in my book. Neither does having a bunch of awards and medals for your character's "feats" at different RPTs. These should be seen as decoration more than anything. You won these things because you were in the right place at the right time. If you couldn't log on the day of an HRPT (and therefore not receive the award, or fancy title, or whatever) it doesn't make your character any less successful. To me successful characters don't even have to be chummy with their senior ranking family members. Hell, they could even be hated by them! They have to be providing opportunity for others, however large or small. And here I'd love to name some past nobles as examples of who I felt were successful characters, but it may be too IC. If you're lucky enough to be able to play on a day there's an RPT and get to help save the city from gith, or whatever, that's not success to me. Spend a solid 6 months assigning accomplishable goals for your underlings and others, have an active involvement with the player base, and whether you have 10 silver medals or 0, I think you did your time and deserve a pat on the back. You were a success. And no one's going to sigh if you feel it's time to store and pursue different roles at this point (though they may be sad to see you go just the same -- which if they do feel that way is also a success in its own right, one far more valuable than fancy titles and awards and saving cities from disaster).

What I hope can be deterred more frequently are instances of storing a few weeks after starting the new noble. If you've done your time and you feel you've had enough, no need to carry on. For those wishing to continue, but feel stuck in a rut, I'd view valeria's article as a check list to make sure I'm doing everything possible on my end, before considering storage. Thanks again, V.