New starting location idea

Started by CodeMaster, May 29, 2015, 09:24:28 PM

To use this starting location, your starting background has to end with some kind of disaster that left your character disoriented, confused, without supplies, and otherwise abandoned in a location with which s/he has no familiarity.  A victim of raiders, or a spice trip gone horribly wrong.

> point random

You start in a random location selected from within a subset of curated random locations.  You begin the game without a waterskin, without food, without starting coins, and no idea where you really are.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Quote from: CodeMaster on May 29, 2015, 09:24:28 PM
To use this starting location, your starting background has to end with some kind of disaster that left your character disoriented, confused, without supplies, and otherwise abandoned in a location with which s/he has no familiarity.  A victim of raiders, or a spice trip gone horribly wrong.

> point random

You start in a random location selected from within a subset of curated random locations.  You begin the game without a waterskin, without food, without starting coins, and no idea where you really are.

Include a random background generator, and I'm sold.

I like it but it'd be too hard or too easy, not much room for in between.

Quote from: Clearsighted on May 29, 2015, 09:27:39 PM
Quote from: CodeMaster on May 29, 2015, 09:24:28 PM

> point random

Include a random background generator, and I'm sold.

I would hit that.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Add random everything and it's basically DDA cataclysm.
It would be fun.

Get into the game, look at your stats and character info "Oh look I"m a dwarf or some shit with the focus of killing Muk utep (Don't take my job pls)
That'd be a fun thing to get into.

IF it had a random background, appearance, and guild/subguild etc selection as well with IMMEDIATE approval (which would make sense seeing as its all pregenerated) then I would definitely use it. If it also came with a chance at being a raider, awesome. Some could be similarly antagonistic but non raider roles, like a tuluki zealot in nak, an elven rebel who spawns crimflagged, an ungemmed magicker who spawns in with a very long lasting, visible magick effect.

The thing is that features like these border on hack n slash. The flipside is they would stir up fun plots as well and if played by experienced players would probably be done well.

I think I am a similar player to codemaster in some ways and we think alike. I would enjoy this feature but understand if staff felt it doesn't fit an RPI. Besides you can create this gameplay yourself with the right choices, it just takes a lot longer to set up, but it can already be done. I have seen PCs be exiled without any gear for example.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

It would be nice if the random roll idea gave you a chance to roll up a guild 1-2 karma within range of your current karma range.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on May 31, 2015, 02:53:49 AM
It would be nice if the random roll idea gave you a chance to roll up a guild 1-2 karma within range of your current karma range.
Maybe if you started 'abusing'/being a dumb shit with it staff could flip a command and bam, you can't use the 'random' button or 'chance at cool karma shit' button?

Can't you pick a start location at random (roll dice) and junk everything when you spawn?
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

I was thinking random in the sense that you might spawn out in the middle of the desert.  Or on a cliff somewhere.  Or in the grey forest. Or on the shore of the silt sea next to some sparse wreckage
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

>buy shot
>drink shot
>buy shot
>drink shot
>buy shot
>drink shot
Your vision goes black.
>wish all Can my shit-faced PC be transferred to some random room south of the shield wall, please?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

May 31, 2015, 06:06:46 PM #11 Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 06:16:28 PM by Bushranger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdFFLn6BuIM

I don't want to wake up married to a Gith!
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Bushranger on May 31, 2015, 06:06:46 PM

I don't want to wake up married to a Gith!

This my favorite quest in that game. The female version of the quest is less funny but still epic
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Quote from: HavokBlue on May 31, 2015, 04:09:17 PM
Can't you pick a start location at random (roll dice) and junk everything when you spawn?

This was my first thought also. I've used my D#'s to run up completely random race / guild / subguild before. It can't do your description / background for you, but you could definitely fill out a list of traits (eye color, hair color, height, etc.) and craft your desc from there. A truly random mdesc seems like it would come out a bit choppy and in need of polish anyways.

The only downside of this is that it's pretty "lopsided." Depending on your karma level, there are more magickers in the game than mundanes. There's also a very high chance that you will come up with a crafter subguild (not that that's bad. Just, statistically, you're probably going to be a magicker/crafter.)
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

The mul outpost should be a starting location.

Quote from: Clearsighted on July 12, 2015, 11:35:09 AM

I don't think so.  Blackwing would make more sense.

Quote from: wizturbo on July 13, 2015, 02:13:57 PM
Quote from: Clearsighted on July 12, 2015, 11:35:09 AM

I don't think so.  Blackwing would make more sense.

Both places would require revamping to accomodate new characters.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Yet and still, a fine idea. More starting locations are a win to me.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

One thing is that we have a lot of coded options already for people who want to play tribals that don't get utilized as much as they could!

Our human tribes received documentation revamps only a couple years ago. We have the dirty necker tribes if that's your thing too I guess.

Quote from: Mordiggian on July 14, 2015, 01:53:58 AM
One thing is that we have a lot of coded options already for people who want to play tribals that don't get utilized as much as they could!

Our human tribes received documentation revamps only a couple years ago. We have the dirty necker tribes if that's your thing too I guess.

Are there any open that aren't Al'Seik or Arabetti?

Quote from: BadSkeelz on August 17, 2015, 12:22:19 PM

No, but as I worked on the documentation revamps for the Seik and Arabet, I can only say they are awesome and you should try them if you haven't already.
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff

Today's tribal experience has been brought to you by the letter "A."
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Honestly...

If approvals were fasttracked for these, and the class/subguild/race made completely random...this would be kind of hilarious.  And there'd be random bodies out in the wastes, ALL THE TIME.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Barzalene on August 17, 2015, 01:24:16 PM
Today's tribal experience has been brought to you by the letter "A."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uOWG8tjW-8
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Eurynomos on August 17, 2015, 12:54:38 PM
Quote from: BadSkeelz on August 17, 2015, 12:22:19 PM

No, but as I worked on the documentation revamps for the Seik and Arabet, I can only say they are awesome and you should try them if you haven't already.

But I did, and then I was dead within 2 hours play time, having never met another PC soul! (Not even the [redacted] that [redacted] my character.) :(
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.