Why is emote in third person?

Started by Alesan, May 23, 2015, 01:24:34 AM

I often find it pretty distracting that command emotes display in first person and normal emotes display in third. It's a bit of a nitpick, but if I'm supposed to be using the self-targeting symbols, it looks really bad during normal emoting. It's the only reason why I don't, because I prefer it to read correctly to me, and since no one else can tell the difference anyway, I continue to do so. But why isn't it consistent between emotes and command emotes? Shouldn't it be?

Use the emote syntax?

em shoots web from ^me hands.
You see: The tall, muscular man shoots web from your hands.
They see: The tall, muscular man shoots web from his hands.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

I love that emotes are in third person. It lets me know if I still have a mask on or my hood up.

I'm used to it, it's not a problem anymore for my immersionz.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: bcw81 on May 23, 2015, 04:43:59 AM
Use the emote syntax?

That results in third person/first person mix which is even worse than just third person.

If I am the tall muscular man, I am seeing some OTHER tall muscular man doing something with MY hands. What the OP is hoping to see is:

You see: You shoot web from your hands.
They see: The tall muscular man shoots web from his hands.

This isn't an option in Armageddon emote code.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on May 23, 2015, 09:43:37 AM
Quote from: bcw81 on May 23, 2015, 04:43:59 AM
Use the emote syntax?

That results in third person/first person mix which is even worse than just third person.

If I am the tall muscular man, I am seeing some OTHER tall muscular man doing something with MY hands. What the OP is hoping to see is:

You see: You shoot web from your hands.
They see: The tall muscular man shoots web from his hands.

This isn't an option in Armageddon emote code.

Correct. I'm just wondering why.

Quote from: Harmless on May 23, 2015, 09:23:04 AM
I love that emotes are in third person. It lets me know if I still have a mask on or my hood up.

I'm used to it, it's not a problem anymore for my immersionz.

This was a point that I thought of, and I agree, it is handy in this way only, but there's still other ways to note your hood. Looking at yourself, for example. Although I wouldn't mind a prompt status, or some other reflection of it somewhere else. An "sdesc" command, maybe.

Until then, I'll just keep avoiding emote syntax when using the emote command. It looks better for me, and no one else knows the difference.

If you never emote, then people do notice. They notice because most people emote at some point or another. So people who -never- emote, stand out.

If you talk, and imbed emotes into your character's verbal code, then you can get around the limitations:

say (nodding ^me head at ~amos) Yes.

will let you see you nodding "your" head at Amos, and he'll see Malik nodding his head at himself, and everyone else will see Malik nodding his head at Amos.

Makes it easier to please yourself while watching random people mudsex.
There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. Can you feel it?  Can you?
- Rumi

Quote from: Lizzie on May 23, 2015, 03:01:21 PM
If you never emote, then people do notice. They notice because most people emote at some point or another. So people who -never- emote, stand out.

If you talk, and imbed emotes into your character's verbal code, then you can get around the limitations:

will let you see you nodding "your" head at Amos, and he'll see Malik nodding his head at himself, and everyone else will see Malik nodding his head at Amos.

I don't understand what you're saying. I'm not saying I'm avoiding emoting. I'm simply avoiding using the provided self-targeting while using the emote command. Which even snoopers won't notice.

isn't there a way to make your client replace your sdesc with the word 'you'? I've never tried it, but I imagine it can be done. I'd prefer the sdesc be changed to 'you' in the initial place it appears in an emote as well, but I'm guessing there's supposed to be some reasoning behind it that I don't get as to why it's not.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

It's to make sure all your tenses are correct.

Quote from: Alesan on May 23, 2015, 11:38:49 PM
Quote from: Lizzie on May 23, 2015, 03:01:21 PM

I don't understand what you're saying. I'm not saying I'm avoiding emoting. I'm simply avoiding using the provided self-targeting while using the emote command. Which even snoopers won't notice.

Oh yeah I get what you're saying. I don't usually use the %me and #me and ^me stuff either. I use "her/her/hers/herself" instead.

Quote from: bardlyone on May 24, 2015, 03:01:16 AM
isn't there a way to make your client replace your sdesc with the word 'you'? I've never tried it, but I imagine it can be done. I'd prefer the sdesc be changed to 'you' in the initial place it appears in an emote as well, but I'm guessing there's supposed to be some reasoning behind it that I don't get as to why it's not.

Yes. It'd also replace every other instance of your sdesc. Such as looking at yourself, your score, etc. Unless you actually want that, it's not a good thing.

I'd like it if the emote code referred to you in first person as well, but Lord knows how hard that would be the change while still allowing tenses to display correctly for everyone involved.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870