Skill caps

Started by Asmoth, May 22, 2015, 01:15:02 AM

May 22, 2015, 01:15:02 AM Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:17:08 AM by Asmoth
Totally not a new player, but I don't remember and can't tell from gazing at a few helpfiles.

Do certain classes simply top out at Journeyman or does it just crawl after then?

Also are subguilds of merchant abilities able to become Master?
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

Not every skill caps at master for every guild.

And no. Only mastercrafter subguilds get to master.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Some subguild crafting skills get master, but you need either a merchant or a 'Master (X)' extended subguild to be allowed to mastercraft with them.

Quote from: MeTekillot on May 22, 2015, 01:55:39 AM
Some subguild crafting skills get master, but you need either a merchant or a 'Master (X)' extended subguild to be allowed to mastercraft with them.

Not sure why you would think the second half of this.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Quote from: whitt on May 22, 2015, 01:58:18 AM

Yeah I remember having a weapon making subguild and I believe it eventually hit Master.  Granted that was YEARS ago, so maybe they changed it.

But I never tried to actually Mastercraft an item, I assume it's a horrible chore.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

Quote from: whitt on May 22, 2015, 01:58:18 AM

A denied mastercraft request stipulating that as the reason.

Quote from: MeTekillot on May 22, 2015, 02:20:40 AM
A denied mastercraft request stipulating that as the reason.

Weird...  from help mastercrafting

QuoteWho can mastercraft?
To mastercraft, a character requires 'master' level in their chosen craft. Most crafts can be used for a mastercraft - except for component crafting, pick making and brewing. The character must also not have submitted a mastercraft within the past month period.

As well as mechanical restrictions, a character's background is considered when a mastercraft is submitted. This includes a character's background, biography entries and submitted character reports. This is to prevent characters producing mastercrafts in styles they aren't familiar with, using materials they have no experience with or of a quality and appearance that is at odds with their environment and culture. Examples of what would not be accepted are characters from Allanak's labyrinth producing pristine, tandu- inlaid statues or natives of Red Storm producing objects in the style of northern tribes. Characters are able to rise above their origins and develop an understanding of other styles and materials through character reports and by chronicling their characters' experimentation and learning. Logs and biography entries are good ways to keep track of this.

Maybe they thought your background didn't have the background for it? 
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

I have master-crafted as a non-merchant, non-master craftsman subguild. So yeah, weird.

I'm going to write a strongly worded letter about this!!!!!!

Quote from: MeTekillot on May 22, 2015, 05:18:17 AM

I recommend A!

Quote from: MeTekillot on May 22, 2015, 05:18:17 AM

I don't have the courage
To kick your ass directly.
Don't have enough courage for that,
I could, you know.
You know you're gonna have another accident?
You know I'm involved with black magic?
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Lets be clear with this - Some -main- guilds other than Merchant get master in one crafting skill or so. So long as you have -master- you can mastercraft, as per the rules. Crafting subguilds that aren't the mastercrafter extended subguilds do -not- grant mastercrafting abilities. Merchants are not the only guild that can mastercraft.

No mastercrafting new liquids, brews (with the brew command, not the craft command I believe.), lockpicks, or wagons.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"