Just saw something in game...

Started by Asmoth, May 20, 2015, 03:20:42 AM

How the hell does a saddle blanket, which to my understanding is supposed to be the blanket under a mounts saddle a hooded cloak?
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

I imagine at some point in your life, you've wrapped a blanket over yourself like a cloak.

You probably should not post about things you just saw in-game on the GDB considering it might make it easy to identify your PC.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on May 20, 2015, 03:32:12 AM
I imagine at some point in your life, you've wrapped a blanket over yourself like a cloak.

I do this every day.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: HavokBlue on May 20, 2015, 03:32:12 AM

You probably should not post about things you just saw in-game on the GDB considering it might make it easy to identify your PC.
I've never much cared if people knew who my pcs were.

Hell if I didn't think it would get me in trouble I would tell you their sdesc and name.

But back on the subject,

I have always had a begrudging respect for how well written most items are in arm and how authentic they appear to be.  Some games don't even have descriptors when you look at thing.

And maybe it's because I always looked at arm as the mud that was "doing it right" that I have a problem with items that essentially are this:

<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?

Saddle blankets conceivably exist in Zalanthas and thus one could conceivably wear a saddle blanket like a cloak.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

May 20, 2015, 04:30:03 AM #5 Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 04:32:59 AM by Asmoth
Quote from: HavokBlue on May 20, 2015, 04:24:44 AM
Saddle blankets conceivably exist in Zalanthas and thus one could conceivably wear a saddle blanket like a cloak.
I guess it's just my opinion they shouldn't because it is jarring and extremely "sloppy".
Unfortunately, I do am not the member of staff who says things like, "No you can't wear your blanket as a cloak, go buy a real cloak, a facewrap, a mask or any of the other hundreds of "figure" creating items that's in game."

What's with all the folks on high horses lately? Picture it less like "babe in blanket" and more like

May 20, 2015, 04:41:48 AM #7 Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 04:44:32 AM by Asmoth
Quote from: BadSkeelz on May 20, 2015, 04:35:25 AM
What's with all the folks on high horses lately? Picture it less like "babe in blanket" and more like

I understand I'm splitting hairs, but those aren't saddle blankets, those are a form of native cloak or wrap.

A saddle blanket is a very specific piece of horse/mount equipment.

If it said the figure wearing the blanket walked into Reds them I would get the right visual.

I almost wish it wasn't 4 am because I would goto the stables and take a selfie with a saddle blanket on attempting to wear it as a cloak, and I'd look like an idiot.

Not to mention every saddle blanket I've ever put on a horse is stiff and barely pliable, it's purpose is to absorb the shock of the saddle against the horses back, if you had something so pliable and easily thrown over your head as a cloak, it wouldn't do its main job of being a (drum roll) saddle blanket.

May 20, 2015, 04:46:04 AM #8 Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 05:38:09 AM by Gaare
When I saw that item IG, the image came into my mind. I think saw something similar IRL.

I look up the dictionary but I am not really sure it gives the exact meaning; there is some clothing fabric and a type of clothing made from that fabri called keçe.. It translates as "felt".

Herdsmen, doing their job in rather high valleys of Anatolia wear something called Kepenek. 20th century kepenek is probably just used as a cloak for keeping one warm and dry, but as far as I can remember some types of them are used exactly as one may call saddle blanket.

Not really a good example, what I was thinking but best I could find in a few mins. -> http://erkuşkeçe.com/genelbilgi1.jpg

PS. When you place it on mount, with some large pockets sewn either side of kepenek, they serve as heybe (saddle bags)
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

May 20, 2015, 04:51:42 AM #9 Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 04:55:09 AM by RogueGunslinger
I mean. A saddle blanket is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddle_blanket

It goes under a saddle.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on May 20, 2015, 04:51:42 AM
I mean. A saddle blanket is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddle_blanket

It goes under a saddle.
Maybe the hood is sewn on and folded under with a few straps for the guy to put his arms through and to wear it like a backpack?

I don't think the item in question is hooded. I think the item is being worn pulled up over the head like a hood.

Quote from: HavokBlue on May 20, 2015, 04:55:29 AM
I don't think the item in question is hooded. I think the item is being worn pulled up over the head like a hood.
You're going to force me to drive to the stable and post a YouTube video showing you that a saddle blanket can't be worn that way aren't you?

I'm well aware of what a saddle blanket is.

I don't think the saddle blanket you bought at the local tack store is identical to the one someone got from a vendor in-game.

Well now hold on just a second, I was really interested in the tick for tack of what a saddle blanket was. Can we go back to that? Is it a blanket you wrap yourself in while on the saddle?

Quote from: MeTekillot on May 20, 2015, 05:00:25 AM
Well now hold on just a second, I was really interested in the tick for tack of what a saddle blanket was. Can we go back to that? Is it a blanket you wrap yourself in while on the saddle?
No.

If the horse is wearing the blanket under the saddle, isn't it more of a horse blanket? I think this could be a misunderstanding. The saddle blanket item should change names if you're not riding in a saddle. If you're walking it should be a. . . ground blanket? Feets blanket?

Quote from: MeTekillot on May 20, 2015, 05:04:14 AM
If the horse is wearing the blanket under the saddle, isn't it more of a horse blanket? I think this could be a misunderstanding. The saddle blanket item should change names if you're not riding in a saddle. If you're walking it should be a. . . ground blanket? Feets blanket?
Now you're being silly to just be silly.

The easiest solution is just to change the item to a simple blanket, then it's not misrepresented.

May 20, 2015, 05:52:30 AM #19 Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 05:54:16 AM by hyzhenhok
Comparing it to modern horse saddle blankets doesn't really work. Horses are exceedingly rare in Zalanthas, and it doesn't seem likely that such an item would be designed to be used on a horse. If it's a saddle blanket meant to go over a war beetle's shell or inix's back, it's likely much larger and perhaps quite different in shape/stiffness/fabric type than modern horse saddle blankets.

I second solera's seconding of Gaare. It looks like it's an item meant to act both as a wearable cloak and as a container that can be packed on a mount, which are historically real things.

That's fine, but when you see saddle blanket... you think saddle blanket. Hence the thread.

Did you... um.. read the item's main desc to see what it actually looked like?

Hint: >look fella's blanket
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on May 20, 2015, 06:09:57 AM
That's fine, but when you see saddle blanket... you think saddle blanket. Hence the thread.

This reminds me a certain item...the tarantula carved bone hauberk or something. For the longest time, I imagined this item as a series of hand-sized bone tarantulas, each meticulously carved from bone, which had been somehow glued or chained together to form a bulky hauberk. When I finally got around to reading the item's mdesc, I was sorely disappointed.

There are lots of places in the game where if you assume the worst possible interpretation of an sdesc, you can end up with some ridiculous imaginings. Better to give the thing the benefit of the doubt, and check the mdesc if you're genuinely confused about what the sdesc is supposed to indicate.

May 20, 2015, 07:26:12 AM #23 Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 07:27:57 AM by ghostymudy
Arm's mounts are pretty wide, compared to a horse. Beetles and lizards are much wider than they are tall (aside from sunbacks), consider bearded dragons and Hercules beetles for example. This means saddle blankets would be much larger. Also, perhaps the fabric is folded in half when under saddle, providing more padding. Edit: Hyzen mentioned this already.

We get it, you know about irl horses but an irl saddle landet can easily be vastly different to the ic example. There doesn't even need to be a historical analogue irl to base the description of the arm blanket from, we could just say it's a large sheet folded when on the mount, unfolded when used as a cloak because that's just how it's done in arm, in fact having a large blanket on hand when trapped out in a desert could be pretty useful. It's not a huge jump in imagination, considering a char of mine fought bentbacked, claw footed humanoids and a gigantic beast-eating worm.
Quote from: boog
I'm still trying to figure out how all that led to Symphony, naked, squatting in a towel on a busy highway to talk to a therapist

Should have finished reading.  ghostmudy is right.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."