Lamenting things I haven't been able to play...

Started by Asmoth, May 18, 2015, 01:27:06 PM

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on May 18, 2015, 11:19:12 PM
I wish I had played a Benjari when they were open. It seemed, from my experiences dealing with them from the outside, that they were or had the potential to be something awesome - right up my alley. The only tribal clan I ever wanted to play in.

I would have liked to have successfully played a full sorcerer too.

Benjari were by far, my favorite human tribe. I played a couple.

Quote from: HavokBlue on May 19, 2015, 12:04:42 AM
Quote from: Tetra on May 18, 2015, 11:27:48 PM
Things I want to play:

an inanimate object that can speak to the person who holds me.

a bastard who actually isn't a bastard, but a child of a secret tryst and was never legitimized.

a blind painter that can make masterpiece portraits by touching someone's face.

a southern Templar that uses the power of song to destroy their enemies.

a mutant that can manipulate their own bones and skeletal structure(Wolverine?)

Isn't that the definition of a bastard?...

I mean a secret tryst with another noble!  okay, how about....a noble who is actually a bastard?
There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. Can you feel it?  Can you?
- Rumi

A beetle like That kank.
In an East side permatribe.
That beauty and truth should pass utterly

Quote from: Tetra on May 18, 2015, 11:27:48 PM
Things I want to play:

an inanimate object that can speak to the person who holds me.

a bastard who actually isn't a bastard, but a child of a secret tryst and was never legitimized.

a blind painter that can make masterpiece portraits by touching someone's face.

a southern Templar that uses the power of song to destroy their enemies.

a mutant that can manipulate their own bones and skeletal structure(Wolverine?)

Tetra you're thinking of Kimimaro from Naruto, born of the Kaguya clan.

Gith. I played a halfling briefly. Meh. Gith would be the ticket. Early on I remember reading the docs that talked about gith using storytelling competitions to settle grudges and things like that and it really stood out to me through the years. It helped me to remember these swarms of gith weren't just slavering wild animals. Behind their violence and NPC blandness, there is a culture out there, savage and primitive but developed.

Mul or mindbender, but eh. I've lived without this long. Sorcerer too.

The only Tuluki character I had that lived long enough to get really involved was in Undertuluk, so I kinda wish I'd played a Legion or House character. Plenty of time spent in tuluk, just never as a Northie. Southern forever.

Never played a noble or officer of anything, never really cared to.

My Tan Muark were a fucking blaaaaaaast though and always wanted to do another.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Oashi Elite and a Kuraci Fist are the last things on my list.

Pretty burned out right now though, so chances of that are minimal at best.

I played gith and halflings and sorcerers.. The most retarded role I've ever attempted was a mindbender, though. Man, talk about fucking up in every possible ways.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I'd have liked to play a full sorcerer that guards a small bridge and asks a series of questions with varying degrees of difficulty -- a wrong answer entails death. Some would also call him Tim. >.>
Whatever happens, happens.

Quote from: Malken on May 19, 2015, 05:32:57 PM
I played gith and halflings and sorcerers.. The most retarded role I've ever attempted was a mindbender, though. Man, talk about fucking up in every possible ways.

If you could bring back, gith, halflings or old style sorcs, which would it be, Malk?

Quote from: Clearsighted on May 19, 2015, 06:05:23 PM

If you could bring back, gith, halflings or old style sorcs, which would it be, Malk?

Sorry, but none of them. Gith and halflings only sound interesting because no one can play them, but they don't really fit as a playable race in my opinion. They are either too alien or too hostile to bring anything but your average bad guy that you might run into while riding out. The moment you allow them to be playable again, people will soon realize how restricting they are and they'll be demanding more "freedom" to be added to the race, or this and that and it'll never end.

I'm all for a new "baddie-type" new playable race being slowly introduced, tho, that'd be awesome and refreshing.

As for sorcerers, I don't really mind if they come back or not, but that's not a class I would (or could) properly play again, since it requires a certain.. Dedicating your life to Arm type of commitment that I just don't have anymore.

I don't know enough about the new sorcerers (and I don't think I've bumped into any yet) to make a fair comment on them.

Quote from: Malken on May 19, 2015, 06:17:11 PM
Quote from: Clearsighted on May 19, 2015, 06:05:23 PM

Sorry, but none of them. Gith and halflings only sound interesting because no one can play them, but they don't really fit as a playable race in my opinion. They are either too alien or too hostile to bring anything but your average bad guy that you might run into while riding out. The moment you allow them to be playable again, people will soon realize how restricting they are and they'll be demanding more "freedom" to be added to the race, or this and that and it'll never end.

I'm all for a new "baddie-type" new playable race being slowly introduced, tho, that'd be awesome and refreshing.

As for sorcerers, I don't really mind if they come back or not, but that's not a class I would (or could) properly play again, since it requires a certain.. Dedicating your life to Arm type of commitment that I just don't have anymore.

I don't know enough about the new sorcerers (and I don't think I've bumped into any yet) to make a fair comment on them.

That's a very valuable opinion, coming from someone that's been there. If you don't mind my asking, what was the feeling like, being a gith, that is centrally located, essentially in the middle of the playerbase (between Luirs, Nak and the Pah/Delves essentially), with potentially hostile players all around you, vs being a halfling, tucked away in the forest where noone sane went? Was that fun, or just stressful to you? Or did it end up making no difference?

That's what I always felt made gith essentially not an iso-clan, given they're right in everyone's way, but I could be wrong about that.

Think I can safely say I've played everything I've wanted to.

I even played a gortok once in 2010. That was pretty cool, and pretty lonely, until I got hunted down by someone who probably thought I was just a one-eyed, staff-animated npc gortok. :P

I've always wanted to play an elkrosian.

Playing a stormer mindbender or nilazi would be really neat.

Playing a drovian would be cool too.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

I've played two Nilazi.
One got PKd in about four hours played (rinth).  Most painful spec app loss ever.  :'(
One lived a decent amount of time hidden away in Allanak proper, but I was playing from my phone at work, and though I was safely tucked away in my apartment after a brief period of AFKness. Start practicing a spell and turns out I'm in the plaza outside Red's Retreat and panic-fled away from the guards after I realized that that was indeed NOT a half giant soldier in my apartment.  I may have punched myself.

I would like to do one again one day.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I may get a chance to play (wanted thing) after all, but... alas, the torment of the long-lived where you can't play a bunch of concepts in a short amount of time.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: Rhyden on May 19, 2015, 07:05:18 PM
I even played a gortok once in 2010. That was pretty cool, and pretty lonely, until I got hunted down by someone who probably thought I was just a one-eyed, staff-animated npc gortok. :P

That's so sad. Was it the tall, muscular man named Amos?

Might've had better luck with a rantarri.

Quote from: Clearsighted on May 19, 2015, 10:00:16 PM
Quote from: Rhyden on May 19, 2015, 07:05:18 PM

That's so sad. Was it the tall, muscular man named Amos?

Might've had better luck with a rantarri.

Playing a rat is where it's at, I am given to understand.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Never got to play out my idea of fraternal twin Jihaens, where one of them defects to Allanak.

Clenching his fist then pointing at the brown-haired, svelte protagonist templar, the broad-shouldered, flowing-blonde Jihaen Templar says in tatlum:
     "BROTHER!"

I wish I could have played more characters in 2006.

I've always wanted to play a sorcerer that, once at 'optimum power' didn't try to summon death into the world or commit grand murder, but instead spent his time traveling from place to place, from all of the tribal areas to Red Storm and Luirs and maybe even poking his head into Tuluk or Allanak once in a blue moon, and just solving problems for people.
"You got a rogue elementalist destroying shit? Perfect. I'll take care of him." Then gobble gobble, elementalist devoured, life continues.
I'd try to have him feed off of the life of criminals and raiders if possible, and occasionally the land itself in cases of dire bad times.

Mindbender/crafting subguild.
mul ranger, hopefully protector subguild.
Nilazi.
Rogue Krathi.
Rogue Drovian.

I actually want to play a Sorcerer more now with the change than before.

My only fear is that if I ever can play my Ranger magick subguild is that I'll go and die damn near immediately because of x reason.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

Full sorcerers were a brutal, brutal grind and terrifying to skill up without being discovered if you went the entirely wilderness route (which I did).  Constant movement to avoid being tracked down (and frequent narrow escapes), and then when I finally did find a relatively safe hideout I was always afraid of a run-in with other mages who might report me. After 20 days played I had finally unlocked "reasonably badass" status and was set to fully pursue some of my character's loftier goals when the announcement came down that full sorcerers were being axed. Hours and hours and hours of solo roleplay. All for naught.

Sucked, man. One of the plusses of the "new" sorcerers is the removal of that necessity to remain almost entirely sequestered from the playerbase while getting to the "breakpoint" of survivability. There was a certain period with the old-school sorcerers where you were simply the squishiest person alive until you manage to get past that awful, awful starting grind, and I think that's where most people got impatient and died or stored.

Once you got past that point though, the sheer flexibility, problem-solving, and capability of the guild was unbeatable. It was a lot of fun.. for about two weeks.

Quote from: Delirium on May 26, 2015, 10:43:59 AM
Full sorcerers were a brutal, brutal grind and terrifying to skill up without being discovered if you went the entirely wilderness route (which I did).  Constant movement to avoid being tracked down (and frequent narrow escapes), and then when I finally did find a relatively safe hideout I was always afraid of a run-in with other mages who might report me. After 20 days played I had finally unlocked "reasonably badass" status and was set to fully pursue some of my character's loftier goals when the announcement came down that full sorcerers were being axed. Hours and hours and hours of solo roleplay. All for naught.

Huh.. I'd thought that they would have allowed you to play your full sorcerers even if future ones were axed.

I would have been mighty miffed if I were you.

Quote from: Delirium on May 26, 2015, 10:43:59 AM

Sucked, man. One of the plusses of the "new" sorcerers is the removal of that necessity to remain almost entirely sequestered from the playerbase while getting to the "breakpoint" of survivability. There was a certain period with the old-school sorcerers where you were simply the squishiest person alive until you manage to get past that awful, awful starting grind, and I think that's where most people got impatient and died or stored.

Once you got past that point though, the sheer flexibility, problem-solving, and capability of the guild was unbeatable. It was a lot of fun.. for about two weeks.

Wait, you had to store because of the change that happened after your sorcerer was in game??
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals