Author Topic: How to create your own tribe -- submitting the background  (Read 4835 times)

Nyr

• Red Fangs
How to create your own tribe -- submitting the background
« on: May 13, 2015, 04:27:24 PM »
Per the Family and Tribal Roles document, you can submit a virtual tribe to staff for you and three other players to use.  Let's improve that process for the player and the staffer!   We'd like to create a template and refer players to it for such submissions.  That will make it easier for staff to read it, understand it, and reply to it in a more timely fashion. 

Things staff members need from players:
  • brevity -- for now, keep it under 1000 words please (at least until we have a template ironed out that makes things easier to process, at which point we might up that limit). The longer it is, the longer it takes to read, to get approved, etc.  Note that your tribe is unlikely to be a permanent addition to the game and that your tribe is one of hundreds of small groups out there.  There are permanent virtual tribes/clans that exist with docs under a thousand words.  Paint with broad strokes and use your words carefully; treat it like a creative writing exercise rather than a limit on your freedom of tribal speech.
  • formatting -- no walls of text.  Put it in one submission (not several replies).  Use paragraphs.  Use headings.  Bold/underline/italicize important things, but don't do that to everything.  If you dislike the request tool editor, format elsewhere, then copy it into the submission--it should preserve your formatting changes.

What stuff do you need to lay out?
  • Name -- what is the tribe called?
  • Race -- what race is the tribe?
  • Numbers -- how many are in the tribe, total?  This must be 40 or fewer.
  • Overview--  This is your tribe in a nutshell.  This would probably be something of an objective description of the tribe from an outsider's perspective.  It contains the most general knowledge portions of the rest of the document.
  • Rituals/beliefs/traditions -- These are things that your tribe does/believes/holds dear.  How do they deal with punishment, how do they show favor, what kooky things do they believe, things like that.
  • History -- when did the tribe start, and where? What major changes have occurred?  How have historical events in-game affected your tribe?  What other groups might have had some beef with your tribe or vice versa?  (This part would likely need some more collaboration with staff.)

What other things do you think are important to include in a tribe's background documentation?  How would you structure a template for this?
Paint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

bcw81

• Helper
Re: How to create your own tribe -- submitting the background
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 04:49:45 PM »
Names of the families in the tribe?
Colors the tribe prefers?
Dominant genetic features? (blue eyes, black hair, hooked nose, tall, short, ect.)
Attitudes and relations towards other tribes/cities?
Main means of supporting the tribe? (Hunting, basketweaving, trade in cities, prostitution, ect.)

Just some ideas, and maybe not even for Staff but for the other players coming into the tribe.

A female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Molten Heart

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 05:42:03 PM »
Nice! Thank you for making this!

CodeMaster

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 07:51:48 PM »
Predispositions toward certain illnesses.

Maybe a recommended stat ordering ("these people tend to be wiser than they are hardy, bla bla").  Yeah right. :)

Maybe restrictions on guilds and subguilds (no merchants; no linguists -- we don't do that).
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

BadSkeelz

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 11:48:18 PM »
Is this required for anyone with a tribal/nomad background? Or is this just a streamlining of the current process?

(It looks great either way.)
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Nyr

• Red Fangs
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 12:20:41 AM »
Is this required for anyone with a tribal/nomad background? Or is this just a streamlining of the current process?

No, just for people that want to create their own tribes/recruit 3 other players into the tribe as part of a family/tribal role call.

edit to add:  no reason you couldn't use it for a tribal/nomad background and add it into the bios, though.
Paint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Aruven

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 12:44:32 AM »
-How does your tribe interact with the outside world? Trade? Raiding? Observation? Does your tribe kill or shun outsiders, or welcome them?

-Vocabulary: Are there specific words, phrases, quotes with personal or religious meaning? What is the predominant language (Maybe this would go under the overview?)

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »

No, just for people that want to create their own tribes/recruit 3 other players into the tribe as part of a family/tribal role call.

edit to add:  no reason you couldn't use it for a tribal/nomad background and add it into the bios, though.

I would agree with this if your initial bio didn't autoformat into one huge paragraph.  Anything template-style that gets squished into a single paragraph is going to be a disgusting mess.

Patuk

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 09:24:15 AM »
Magick. Do your guys kill them on sight? Do they have pet elementalists? Do they all venerate one specific sorcerer? Explain it.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Taven

• Helper
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 11:19:13 PM »

I would agree with this if your initial bio didn't autoformat into one huge paragraph.  Anything template-style that gets squished into a single paragraph is going to be a disgusting mess.

Actually, I'd recommend doing it in a supplemental bio. Have your initial bio be some ugly paragraph, then make a sequel that has more information, formatted as you like, after you get IG. I do this with a lot of my characters.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.