Make Camp

Started by FantasyWriter, April 15, 2015, 04:42:32 PM

Would you like an option that allows players to create temporary quit rooms.

I 'm in favor of something like this.
31 (59.6%)
Neutral/Meh.
10 (19.2%)
I dislike this sort of idea/option.
11 (21.2%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Quote from: Jihelu on April 22, 2015, 10:52:19 PM
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on April 22, 2015, 08:53:33 PM
But ... that's what quit occ is ... for.

On topic: I'm down with a system to create and maintain a camp. I like the quit out option, but I'm good with just a really good resting bonus.
I always thought quit ooc was for only real life 'emergencies' not just 'pls god save me from this sleep'

I use it as a secondary quit function a lot of the time, never had staff say anything about it. Quitting is an entirely OOC device, giving players shit for it would be a bad idea for staff, in my opinion.

But the fact that you can't use it twice in a row means that staff on some level don't want you to use it as a replacement for quit... so who knows. I think it's a stupid limit. Maybe staff can clarify.

Quote from: From "quit" helpfiles
If you are not in a quit safe room, you may use 'quit ooc <reason>' to get a special release to quit so long as you are not dying or subdued. When you log back in, you will be unable to use 'quit ooc' again until you log out normally. You must provide a reasonable reason as to why you are doing this, which is logged. Any who are found to be abusing this will lose the ability to do so.

What sort of abuse is this talking about if there's already a qualifier for "so long as you are not dying or subdued"?

Being chased by someone but havn't entered combat yet. I'd assume generally using quit ooc to avoid having to play in that sudden level 6 storm would be abuse if done consistently.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

The implementation discussion thread covers that pretty nicely, I think.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Per that thread:

Quote from: Morgenes on October 29, 2012, 01:50:08 PM
I'll quote 'help quit':

> quit ooc RL emergency gtg

We don't want to set a guideline for how often.  Use it as often as you need it.  However we ask for you to plan accordingly and not rely on it. 

We also don't want to come up with a laundry list of acceptable ooc situations, but they should be beyond 'I don't want to bother playing by the rules'.  Don't use it because you're 'bored'.  Things like 'munchies' and 'played past bed time' is understandable.  Things like a friend/SO says, hey lets' go grab some food, and rather than having to tell them that you need to walk 15-20 minutes to find a safe spot, you can use it.  Things like 'your pet just pooped on the floor', a-ok.  See...I said I didn't want to write a list and I started writing one. 

Simple answer is use your best judgement.  Use it if you need it to not miss the bus.  Try not to make it a habit.  Real life should come first, this code was intended to make it easier for people with less time, or more accident prone to help out.  We won't yank it from you if you're using it all the time because you have a string of bad luck.  Similarly, we won't pull it for something we deem questionable the first time you do it.  We will remove it if we see a pattern of abuse, and after talking to you about it you still continue, we will remove it.

Edited to highlight a guideline that I think I see being asked repeatedly here.  'plan accordingly and not rely on it'
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I voted dislike as well for the reasons
1. Getting safely to and from "safe/quit/resting" areas is part of the fun of this game
2. Anyone can already "set up camp" and RP with a tent and regen wherever they like (outside a city)
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Don't tents still weight like five hundred pounds that make them not really suited for traveling with or did they change that?

Also the reason I didn't like tents is because you couldn't bring your mount inside so while you're resting desert elves or thieves will walk in and take your mount.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

Quote from: Asmoth on April 24, 2015, 08:37:12 AM
Don't tents still weight like five hundred pounds that make them not really suited for traveling with or did they change that?

Also the reason I didn't like tents is because you couldn't bring your mount inside so while you're resting desert elves or thieves will walk in and take your mount.

Tents are heavy, because they are not really small camping tents, as much as the kind of tents you'd see in Lord of the Rings when they're preparing for war. Big enough for a couple people to lay in, and rather conspicuous unless specially made.

Also, no you can't bring your mount in, but they are still "hitched" as long as you just enter the tent. If something takes your mount while you're sleeping in a tent, be glad they ONLY took the mount.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

There is at least one tent in game that you could bring a mount in to (or several, damn ranger hitch), but as that was a semi-permeable staff construct it might just have been an oversight with its coding.

Quote from: Riev on April 24, 2015, 12:41:12 PM
Quote from: Asmoth on April 24, 2015, 08:37:12 AM

Tents are heavy, because they are not really small camping tents, as much as the kind of tents you'd see in Lord of the Rings when they're preparing for war. Big enough for a couple people to lay in, and rather conspicuous unless specially made.

Also, no you can't bring your mount in, but they are still "hitched" as long as you just enter the tent. If something takes your mount while you're sleeping in a tent, be glad they ONLY took the mount.
I'd be cool with them taking it if I was sleeping in the tent.  But unless it's changed, I can technically be wide awake, resting in the tent, holding the reins and someone outside can lead mount, and roll off with my mount and I have no idea.

That's the problem in my eyes.  If I'm sleeping and they take it, then hey that's the rub, but when I'm wide awake and they can yank the reins outta my hands without me knowing that is lame.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?

If the animal is hitched to you, it won't hitch to someone else.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on April 24, 2015, 04:57:34 PM
They must have changed it then, because I stole sooooo many mounts as a D-elf this way.

Quote from: HavokBlue on April 24, 2015, 04:57:34 PM

False, if you're not in the same room, even if it's hitched to you, it can be stolen. Bug or feature? Who knows.

I'd be ok with this - IF - the campsite - codedly attracted more aggressive beasts from the surrounding areas. (provided of course that there are some nasties lurking around in the zone, in the first place).

I mean, there's gotta be some bad with the good.

You're a non-ranger, out in the wilderness, you make a campfire, you set up camp, you're probably cooking something that is sending out scents into the air - then it's natural for the native animals to take notice of this disturbance in their environs - and take a chance at attacking the camp.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

sandbears
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.