Gith - The Enemy Returns (to open or no?)

Started by Dakota, April 13, 2015, 09:10:04 PM

Should Gith be seriously considered to be opened for players?

Wait three months and see.
22 (21.4%)
Yes!
12 (11.7%)
Yes but Karma Restricted an App only.
30 (29.1%)
No because theirs no problem post Tuluk closing
11 (10.7%)
No because it's the wrong solution.
28 (27.2%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Voting closed: May 13, 2015, 09:10:04 PM

Well, to bring it back a little to the general idea of the thread, I think that anyone who voted they'd like to play a gith eventually should try playing a Seik first (if they haven't done so, of course), just to see what it's like to have very specific rituals and rules in a (we could argue on this) hostile land and long bouts of isolationism/quiet RP opportunities (especially now that Tuluk is closed - just kidding heheh)
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Split some posts. Did a dance.

Get moderated tonight.

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,49248.0.html

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

April 21, 2015, 06:43:09 PM #52 Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 06:45:45 PM by Patuk
Wrong thread now.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on April 21, 2015, 06:43:09 PM
I think most anythings I've seen, be they tribes ir citystates, err towards too little documentation rather than toward too much of it. Most documentation ends up being something along the lines of 'this is common, but do whatever', anyway. An example is fighting styles: the docs state that Allanaki people may prefer swords, and elves do well with spears, but someone from the south toting a club or an elf with an axe isn't some kind of big deal. As long as it's made clear that deviating from shit like fashion or storytelling docs isn't some kind of grave offence, I think most clans could use some added pages.
We have a tribal thread now.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I thought one of the many reasons the RF's were hated was due to they would openly trade with the Gith, and as X-D said, I thought they were molded after them as well. My first RF I was told they were like the Reavers in Firefly/Serenity.
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

Well, One thing gith have over RF.

It is a safe bet that most gith are actually sane.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on April 22, 2015, 02:37:49 AM

They're also alive.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Just want to say I really enjoyed the post above.

My point earlier about mantis and gith as antagonists was more that the way the gith were designed makes them antagonists.  There is no surviving documentation that I can find showing that they traded with anything more than the occasional virtual group--it refers to "limited trading".  In more recent documentation, they traded with the Red Fangs tribe; that was the extent of their positive relations.  If 99% of your activity is antagonistic to the other races but you make a small exception for a single tribe (that itself is way off the deep end), you are not defined by that exception.  (That exception also ceases to exist now.)

The "gith documentation" that existed on an IC board isn't documentation so much as an IC rumor board for gith.  There isn't anything in the way of documentation there, it is just PC recounting of events or announcements, plus the occasional staff OOC post.  Regardless of what PC gith may have done in the past or what documentation may have said about them, the truth now is that gith are antagonists and have been for years.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

April 22, 2015, 11:06:03 AM #59 Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 11:09:15 AM by Tetra

Gith are totally like Falmer from Skyrim.

But on the actual topic...A storyteller animated some gith not long ago, and I found the encounter very interesting.

I'm going to say: Yes, with low karma or a special app.
There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. Can you feel it?  Can you?
- Rumi

Quotethe truth now is that gith are antagonists and have been for years.

I said as much.  My objection wasn't for any purpose other than to show there was more to than marauding and raping and pillaging.  They are an isolated clan, but not any more than particular groups of desert elves.  They have their own culture and back story.  And they are willing to trade for things they need in places such as the former Red Storm and the former <blank> nearby, because they had goods, and were willing to trade with Gith.

In their current state, Gith wouldn't fit.  But their current state is also completely based around being devoid of PC's, which could be peeled away from.  However, to reiterate...I do -not- think they should be opened for the reason the Original Poster stated, because I don't think the gith would have the desired effect.  But I am also not averse to the idea of PC gith.  That was my original statement.

I just nitpick at things, man, let me do it!
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Instead of opening up a previously established NPC culture, I'd rather see (more) staff support for PC-led groups, whether antagonistic or no.

Especially those who aren't directly city-based. City roleplay isn't for everyone, supporting the indies out there would be nice too.

Quote from: Delirium on April 22, 2015, 04:01:51 PM
Instead of opening up a previously established NPC culture, I'd rather see (more) staff support for PC-led groups, whether antagonistic or no.

Especially those who aren't directly city-based. City roleplay isn't for everyone, supporting the indies out there would be nice too.

Woo! Ghaati should find there way into the Known and prowl the desert. C'mon you've all that documentation from Arm Reborn for the cat people!! :)

Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Bushranger on April 22, 2015, 04:11:43 PM
Quote from: Delirium on April 22, 2015, 04:01:51 PM

Woo! Ghaati should find there way into the Known and prowl the desert. C'mon you've all that documentation from Arm Reborn for the cat people!! :)

Deez nuts?
HA! Ghaati, ha!

April 22, 2015, 05:28:55 PM #65 Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 05:31:53 PM by Desertman
This seems like a decent spot for me to throw out my desire for halflings to be re-introduced into the game but for them to become more socialized with society so they can be played in cities by people.

Halflings are such cute little things and we have so many people who like to play cute little things. Most of them go with youths since dwarves don't count.

I don't even want to play one really. I just want other people to be able to play little halflings in my groups because entertainment.

Nyr, you took my Tea-Folk, I demand Wee-Folk!!!
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on April 22, 2015, 05:28:55 PM
This seems like a decent spot for me to throw out my desire for halflings to be re-introduced into the game but for them to become more socialized with society so they can be played in cities by people.

Halflings are such cute little things and we have so many people who like to play cute little things. Most of them go with youths since dwarves don't count.

I don't even want to play one really. I just want other people to be able to play little halflings in my groups because entertainment.

Rename Halfling as Ghaati. All the code is there. Midget cat people are so cute!!
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Bushranger on April 22, 2015, 05:39:08 PM
Quote from: Desertman on April 22, 2015, 05:28:55 PM

Rename Halfling as Ghaati. All the code is there. Midget cat people are so cute!!

I....I.....agree.... :o

This is drifting into a realm of fantasy I dare not dream see.

To quote Guy Fleegman, "Have you guys even SEEN the show?!"
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Quote from: Talia on April 22, 2015, 05:44:00 PM

Giving a fanged cheshire smile the lithe, perky-eared ghatti youth purrs and snuggles up in Talia's lap, curling into a ball before drifting off to sleep.

From time to time the lithe, perky-eared ghatti youth's ears flick and she squirms about in Talia's lap, obviously caught up in a dream.

Tell me you don't want that as your sidekick. You damn right you do.

Quote from: Nyr on April 22, 2015, 09:14:34 AM
Quote from: X-D on April 22, 2015, 02:37:49 AM

They're also alive.

Tasteless, man, tasteless.

Heh, I thought it was pretty darn funny.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Desertman on April 22, 2015, 05:48:10 PM
Quote from: Talia on April 22, 2015, 05:44:00 PM

Giving a fanged cheshire smile the lithe, perky-eared ghatti youth purrs and snuggles up in Talia's lap, curling into a ball before drifting off to sleep.

From time to time the lithe, perky-eared ghatti youth's ears flick and she squirms about in Talia's lap, obviously caught up in a dream.

Tell me you don't want that as your sidekick. You damn right you do.

Ghaati were (are?) more like occasionally bipedal tigers with humanoid features instead of like, humanoid cats. Nothing close to cat people afaik.