Gith - The Enemy Returns (to open or no?)

Started by Dakota, April 13, 2015, 09:10:04 PM

Should Gith be seriously considered to be opened for players?

Wait three months and see.
22 (21.4%)
Yes!
12 (11.7%)
Yes but Karma Restricted an App only.
30 (29.1%)
No because theirs no problem post Tuluk closing
11 (10.7%)
No because it's the wrong solution.
28 (27.2%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Voting closed: May 13, 2015, 09:10:04 PM

April 13, 2015, 09:10:04 PM Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 09:12:51 PM by Dakota
Given that Tuluk is closing and the non-virtual world is losing (not virtually... but practically) a major source of conflict, in an effort to be constructive, I think it's a good idea to start talking about the potential of opening Gith as a Karma + App in only option.

With freed up player base of the Tuluki's, most will ultimately go to Nak. D-elf tribes will get more numbers and we'll see more rogue gickers and tribals. This is good. But it also doesn't fill a player-manned / staffed source of conflict/friction that the game previously had with two active warring city states.

As Gith are everyone's most well known source of Mantis Head, I propose they be (seriously) considered to be opened, thus the poll. The last time we had Gith was the special thing that happened over a year ago, and everyone involved agreed it was collectively awesome.

I swear if Gith open I'll forgive Staff for closing Tuluk too... (worth their reopening alone)

In all seriousness I think this is a logical and resource-lax solution to a real problem (IMO) the game now faces.
Czar of City Elves.

I think if Tuluk closes staff could focus on making Gith a workable thing.
UHHHHHHHHHHHH
Sure?
Could even have it that 'one fancy douchy gith clan attacked Tuluk in mass and made people want to leave'.
And it even makes the conflict of "Look it's the dirt gith savage that attacked Tuluk

I'd see how things go first, then decide from there.

Still sounds fun though.

No

Gith being a PC tool is not the solution to the problem.

I tend to loosely follow Is Friday's logic about more people playing peons and fewer fancy types about. If I'm not on the right track IF, let me know.

I feel that too many people in Arm want to be on the pointy end so there end up being a huge number of people trying to initiate major plots while there are no "meat and potatos" people to actually get the plots done. While I can't say much about it now there is a glaring example of this sort of thing going on in the game world right now.

I'm moderately confident that staff are doing the best they can to minimize the damage that will be done later on.

The closure announcement is less than 8 hours old.  I'd give it some time before declaring that there is a) absolutely, definitely going to be a void of conflict and b) a void of conflict that can only be filled by PC-apped gith.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I mean, hasn't the Gith discussion been going on even a bit before Tuluk was announced to close?
Though the closing was probably what signified it. Good to start discussing sooner I would think?

April 13, 2015, 10:15:31 PM #7 Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 10:17:47 PM by FantasyWriter
I think a test role-out in a few months would be cool.  Make it a three or four karma race and limit it to the same number of PCs that delves are tried.
I mean while we are testing and trying new things, why not test adding something instead of take, take, take?  Gith were taken out before my time or else right after I started playing, but I've heard a bunch of stories from older players at APMs and snippets here and there over the years of some of the cultural aspects of gith play (they aren't just raiders and killers) and it always seemed like some really cool, in-dept roleplay.

In my time here, we've lost RSE, more than a few outdoor quit rooms, red fangs, dune stalkers, BlackWing(I THINK this was still an option after I started) jul tavan, benjari, Al Seik (more or less), rinthy tibes (and gained one only to loose it again), halflings, awesome future races of 2.Arm, parts of Tuluk, Tuluki nobles houses, some shall-not-be-named zones, sorcerers, and now Tuluk.  I wouldn't mind seeing some new options for play pop up every now and then.  It gets to the point after nearly a decade where you sometimes feel you've done it all, it would be nice to try something new, even if its just going to last long enough to tease me.

Edit: Oops, I forgot Undertuluk and a couple areas in the Sewers!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

So uh...what were races in Arm V2 supposed to be?

Yes, but it has nothing to do with Tuluk closing, in my eyes.

Quote from: Jihelu on April 13, 2015, 10:17:55 PM

Cat people and dudes with hard shells that humans could ride.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Jihelu on April 13, 2015, 10:17:55 PM

Ghatti (the lucky kind) - Feline Humanoids
Dursa - Some Tribal Reptilians that I was really excited about
Cyndi - PLayable insect mount race.
Some unplayable arachnids?
Some cave-dwelling human/elf hybrids  (EWWW BREEDS)?

They took all the discussion and announcement threads away, so that was just off the my poor memory?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 13, 2015, 10:18:55 PM
Yes, but it has nothing to do with Tuluk closing, in my eyes.

Truedat.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I always wanted to play a PC gith. I wouldn't mind seeing them put at 4 - 5 karma and allowed. I think a few players all playing together at that karma level could make some great things happen with gith roleplay.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Opening up isoclans is probably getting away from what staff are trying to do (have the main city be Allanak), but there will always be tribals and other outlying roles available, besides Tuluk. However gith always seemed generic and kind of boring to me though I would enjoy the chance to play a raider with a relatively safe place to hang my hat at night (when I log out.)
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on April 13, 2015, 10:34:40 PM
However gith always seemed generic and kind of boring to me

Because they were all generic NPCs. ;)
Grebber - One who grebs.

I'd rather see whether and to what extent closing Tuluk consolidates the playerbase in other locations before having them open up a bunch of things that are currently closed.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: Desertman on April 13, 2015, 10:27:53 PM
I always wanted to play a PC gith. I wouldn't mind seeing them put at 4 - 5 karma and allowed. I think a few players all playing together at that karma level could make some great things happen with gith roleplay.

This.

Open, violent PvP conflict is over-rated.

PvP warfare isn't epic or exciting or strategic.  It's a spamfest where you die in a split second due to massive ">assist leader", or worse, get ganked by overpowered NPCs and/or units.  I imagine it's also a huge headache for staff too.

The best "war" I got to play in was the Gith War vs. Allanak in.... 2008?  Staff set the agenda and set the pace.  Battles could be drawn out, with waves of enemies rather than one big glob.  It had a plot spanning a RL week, with some frantic opening sequences then a gradual build-up to an epic showdown with the main force/leader.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on April 14, 2015, 10:57:17 AM

I've never been raided and not enjoyed it.
I've seldom been PKd and not enjoyed it.
(I hope those I've raided and PKd can say the same).

I totally agree on not enjoying spamfest RPT mass combat.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I put yes, but what I really meant was that a gith-like clan should open up. If I had my way though, it'd be one that was a little less murderous.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on April 14, 2015, 10:57:17 AM

PvP warfare isn't epic or exciting or strategic.  It's a spamfest where you die in a split second due to massive ">assist leader", or worse, get ganked by overpowered NPCs and/or units.  I imagine it's also a huge headache for staff too.

The best "war" I got to play in was the Gith War vs. Allanak in.... 2008?  Staff set the agenda and set the pace.  Battles could be drawn out, with waves of enemies rather than one big glob.  It had a plot spanning a RL week, with some frantic opening sequences then a gradual build-up to an epic showdown with the main force/leader.

The wave after eave of bad guys kind of combat is exciting for the player side, and if staff don't mind animating for it, I'd love to see this done more often.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

I'm also okay leavin pvp conflict to the political arena where players have a hance to put into play not only the pcs coded abiliies but also political savvy and connections.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

April 14, 2015, 04:58:37 PM #23 Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 07:16:46 PM by wizturbo
I personally don't care for PvP in Armageddon.  Not because I don't like the idea of killing other players, or getting in awesome fights, but because the code for such things is far too limiting in my opinion.  The outcome often consists of how well a player manipulates the esoteric nuances of the combat or magick system, not the skill of the characters involved.  That says nothing about group PvP...then it's just a spamfest where you die nearly instantly, or kill nearly instantly.

Gith would be cool, if the staff want to build up some Gith culture, and have Gith things to do besides straight up PvP slugfests in the desert...but since they just signaled they want to consolidate their efforts on South, GMH and the remaining tribes I don't see why they'd want to do this.

I'd love to see gith come back at the same karma level they were before, but I don't think staff will consider fragmenting the playerbase further with the way things are right now.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded