Why are Humans the Most Popular Race?

Started by i love toilets, April 08, 2015, 04:41:49 PM

For me, it's that I can usually have a larger 'social circle' and also get any job I want. Sometimes I like the challenge of playing a sub-human, but other times, it's too overwhelming of a shtick I have to constantly remember to really get into the character. After humans, I usually like the elven mentality, and my next PC will definitely be a D-elf or city elf.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

Quote from: Delirium on April 10, 2015, 08:56:19 AM
Maybe you shouldn't ignore the hundreds of vNPC female elves that are available for kanking.

Screw that, they're all played by vNPC males.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

You know, theoretically, there should be a larger population of half-elves even with the bias between the races.
Like, a much larger. Like, it should be number 3 behind humans and elves.

Quote from: AdamBlue on April 10, 2015, 12:50:22 PM
You know, theoretically, there should be a larger population of half-elves even with the bias between the races.
A good portion probably look so much like one of the races they blend in well.

Or just get dumped down the nearest sewer hole at birth. I suspect there's a lot of selection against half-elves.

I'd kind of like to see half-elves gradually replace elves within the Cities, since they're an overall more viable and valuable species.  If you had half-elves supplanting Celves in their societal niche and numbers, you probably would have more chaos (i.e. chance for fun) as half-elven gangs form up and then collapse as the half-elves go through their independence/belonging cycles. Those half-elves who don't want to be useless two-legged rats like their Celven forebears also have a chance at being more employable.

The big problem is that not even Half-Elves like to hang out with Half-Elves, which is I think why you don't see any large and self-perpetuating populations of them.

As for why Humans are Superior, it helps that the two Sorcerer Kings (also powerful psions in their own right) are Human. Humans also mature faster (probably breeding more for that matter) and don't have debilitating psychological issues as a racial hat.

We can also be psionists and are the master god race chosen by our lord kings or something.
I feel like you've got to be in a special mind set to play other races.
Excluding halflings, that being said I've never seen a time where there were them so idfk know anything about them, it seems if you play another race other than human you have to have some innate struggle or disabilities.
Dwarves have the whole "I"VE GOT TO DO THIS WEIRD CONVOLUTED SHIT FOR SOME REASON" which could be beneficial but still meh.
Celves got that "WELP I KNOW I CAN'T RUN OUTSIDE BUT I'M TOO MUCH OF A PRICK TO SUCK IT UP AND USE A MOUNT FOR OUTDOORS" even if they don't intend on living in a city all their life.
Delves occasionally have that "WELP I CAN'T LEAVE MY HOME BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE GROSS OR SOMETHING" But they run fast so it's okay.
Mantis have that "I'M A BIG INSECT THAT EATS PEOPLE AND PROBABLY DOESN'T SPEAK YOUR LANGUAGE" okay I'm going to stop the caps things.
Halflings have to have that internal struggle think occasionally going on, halflings are all dead, Gith are secretly not real. It just seems that you have to go out of your way to do something you might not want to do when playing another race, while humans can just be "Well I'm me thats good I guess". But on the opposite side, you could get more bored of a human character because of how 'lacking' in struggle you can be. This is why your character secretly goes insane and starts eating people.

Quote from: Jihelu on April 10, 2015, 01:17:20 PM
We can also be psionists and are the master god race chosen by our lord kings or something.
I feel like you've got to be in a special mind set to play other races.
Excluding halflings, that being said I've never seen a time where there were them so idfk know anything about them, it seems if you play another race other than human you have to have some innate struggle or disabilities.
Dwarves have the whole "I"VE GOT TO DO THIS WEIRD CONVOLUTED SHIT FOR SOME REASON" which could be beneficial but still meh.
Celves got that "WELP I KNOW I CAN'T RUN OUTSIDE BUT I'M TOO MUCH OF A PRICK TO SUCK IT UP AND USE A MOUNT FOR OUTDOORS" even if they don't intend on living in a city all their life.
Delves occasionally have that "WELP I CAN'T LEAVE MY HOME BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE GROSS OR SOMETHING" But they run fast so it's okay.
Mantis have that "I'M A BIG INSECT THAT EATS PEOPLE AND PROBABLY DOESN'T SPEAK YOUR LANGUAGE" okay I'm going to stop the caps things.
Halflings have to have that internal struggle think occasionally going on, halflings are all dead, Gith are secretly not real. It just seems that you have to go out of your way to do something you might not want to do when playing another race, while humans can just be "Well I'm me thats good I guess". But on the opposite side, you could get more bored of a human character because of how 'lacking' in struggle you can be. This is why your character secretly goes insane and starts eating people.

Uh, humans have plenty of struggle. They're competing with literally every other human that exists, in most cases, and sometimes with all the other races, to stay on top of the food chain.

Maybe you shouldn't ignore the hundreds of vNPC female elves that are available for kanking.

In a Kuraci Pleasure Den [enter, leave, enter, leave, enter, leave]

Change ldesc leans back on a sofa being serviced by the lithe elven whore.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: MeTekillot on April 10, 2015, 05:36:33 PM
you can't hug with vnpc arms

Huh? What? I guess you haven't done much solo play with vNPCs. I had a character bring home a vNPC woman he met in the bar and had sex with her and then went to sleep. I wonder if any staff saw that. If they didn't that would explain not getting a karma point for Solo RP.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

I love solo RP.
I've never been able to incorporate long term vNPCs into my play.
Feels awkward the few times I've tried.

I frequently use random vNPCs in scenes though.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I was mostly joking, but thanks for bringing that up.

(note: I have noticed a lot of improvement here and wanted to say that) I guess I'll just forgive how every C-elf PC alive (hint, possibly one or two) becomes an instant, short-lived celebrity the second someone misplaces their mount ticket in the wrong quiver... but that wouldn't happen if I'd just stick to assosciating with my virtual tribe and keep my head down, performing stellar solo-RP in the midst of a multi-player game that I supposedly joined to play with others, and, well, hopefully they're from the rinth or I'll get burned alive if my tribe's location is known when a dagger goes missing because some elf who can just hide and sneak away took it as I was off whittling up some arrows to rip someone off with to get a few meager coins to hopefully feed myself, which, I really shouldn't even go in the Gaj to try and sell it because then I'll be more likely to be noticed.

Screw it, my PC may as well be virtual too, maybe I can perform these actions a while and get a room echo put into a room in the market about a tribe of poor-ass elves huddled under a tarp... but that's no fun. I'm not simply playing for the fun of others, though that is a big deal to me, but I would like to be entertained too. That said, humans have their own challenges that make so much as saying "hi" to someone the wrong way will bring to light, but they aren't anywhere near as isolated as city-elf roles are, even breeds aren't, and I'd hazard to say gemmed mages as well, given that at least they have other gemmed they can sit and lament their curse with. I'm willing to play a role for the sake of it, but it should be no surprise that these roles aren't played by more people because they're unfun, and those who do play them need a break sometimes, because it's stressful, lonely, agitating, and once you find someone you can trust, assume someone will kill them for, what, I don't know, farting in the presence of Lord Stank, or anything else, and, it's back to square one and the endless, dangerous testing that threatens to kill you and the other person if they slip up so much as a little.

Most of us play to interact, enjoy a good story, contribute to the stories of others, I would like to think. City elves are very isolated, unfun by design, with hardly any coded clans that even make sense for them available, so there's really no remedy. You, and your plots basically get used like a prop in someone else's story, then quickly and thoughtlessly get discarded, which is fine every once in a while, but it gets old after a while. So, it's no surprise so few people play city elves, it's a masochistic act of love for contributing to a story, and it will quickly drain you of your vital essence and leave you in such a state where you decide, screw it, human it is, for a while, at least.

bc it means only the cool kids will play elves.

<.<

>.>

:(""""""
Czar of City Elves.

if you have sex with a vnpc, and no one's around to see it, aren't you just spending the entire night typing a sex scene to yourself?

Whatever happens, happens.

Quote from: TheWanderer on April 11, 2015, 02:10:06 PM
if you have sex with a vnpc, and no one's around to see it, aren't you just spending the entire night typing a sex scene to yourself?

If it gets the pants off, there is nothing wrong with it.
That being said it's probably going on the account notes.

Magickers always see it.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on April 11, 2015, 03:56:49 PM
Magickers always see it.

Gickety...Gickety...

;)
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Magickers always see it.

Oh well that explains that problem that cropped up shortly after I did that.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: whitt on April 11, 2015, 06:01:25 PM
Magickers always see it.

Gickety...Gickety...

;)

This got me way more than it should have.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Human gickers are the only ones that get to join Oash too, so even gicker humans have employment advantages over gicker nonhumans.
Eat your fries with mayonnaise next time

start your own non-human merchant house that hires magickers then

Quote from: AdamBlue on April 10, 2015, 12:50:22 PM

It already is number 3. What makes you think it's not?
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: i love toilets on April 11, 2015, 08:08:36 PM
Human gickers are the only ones that get to join Oash too, so even gicker humans have employment advantages over gicker nonhumans.

True enough, but gemmers have reasons to interact with one another, and know no matter what their differences, they have something in common, and sooner or later might have to depend on eachother, well, EXCEPT those Oash snobs, who won't have anything to do with you if you're not already in the house, especially if you're not human. If you're a human gemmer, you're in slight danger of being scooped up by Oash and being deprived of the sort of gemmer plots that might go on outside it. Also, with luck your c-elf gemmer will run into a mage that misses being a rogue and was sort of hoping you could steal this damn dull, black thing somehow. Most of the people you can expect any moderate degree of positive interaction with eventually are all conveniently marked... and finally, Templarate protection. The soldiers won't even want to touch you to drag you off to jail because they don't want gick on their hands.

Quote from: Revenant on April 12, 2015, 09:32:10 AM

True enough, but gemmers have reasons to interact with one another, and know no matter what their differences, they have something in common, and sooner or later might have to depend on eachother, well, EXCEPT those Oash snobs, who won't have anything to do with you if you're not already in the house, especially if you're not human. If you're a human gemmer, you're in slight danger of being scooped up by Oash and being deprived of the sort of gemmer plots that might go on outside it. Also, with luck your c-elf gemmer will run into a mage that misses being a rogue and was sort of hoping you could steal this damn dull, black thing somehow. Most of the people you can expect any moderate degree of positive interaction with eventually are all conveniently marked... and finally, Templarate protection. The soldiers won't even want to touch you to drag you off to jail because they don't want gick on their hands.

They will do so with glee, and not even over major issues either.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on April 12, 2015, 10:34:49 AM
Quote from: Revenant on April 12, 2015, 09:32:10 AM

They will do so with glee, and not even over major issues either.

I think it would be funny if a few of them got sand fleas after doing that.