Discussion thread: Assorted Game Changes

Started by Adhira, April 05, 2015, 01:16:36 AM

This thread is to discuss the changes as mentioned here:

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,49141.0.html
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

April 05, 2015, 01:17:10 AM #1 Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 01:27:11 AM by Jihelu
So I'm assuming if you put in both a Karma request and Account notes people aren't going to hit you(Hit meaning think it's redundant seeing as it is two things).
And, what character report format did you decide on? Or is that somewhere I could find and I'm just being dumb.

This guy here? Superbly impressed. Its nice to see and feel the feedback.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Awesome!

I'm especially happy about the NPCs with stock items and the Builders non-staff staff.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Jihelu on April 05, 2015, 01:17:10 AM
So I'm assuming if you put in both a Karma request and Account notes people aren't going to hit you(Hit meaning think it's redundant seeing as it is two things).
And, what character report format did you decide on? Or is that somewhere I could find and I'm just being dumb.

You aren't being dumb, it isn't anywhere yet. We'll have the 'template' up next week I hope. Nathvaan is waiting for the final text to get to him,
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Quote from: Adhira on April 05, 2015, 01:41:01 AM
Quote from: Jihelu on April 05, 2015, 01:17:10 AM

You aren't being dumb, it isn't anywhere yet. We'll have the 'template' up next week I hope. Nathvaan is waiting for the final text to get to him,
Okay! Everything looks Gucci.
Really like how people actually talked about something and people took it into consideration.
Builders look interesting and I look to seeing a lot more fancy rooms and major plot related things being pretty.

This is really great. The changes are impressive and they have been implemented or are getting implemented in a relatively short time frame. I am looking forward to seeing the changes in the Mastercrafting documentation, this is a huge point of confusion for me.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Change We Can Believe In!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

April 05, 2015, 01:50:50 AM #8 Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 01:53:24 AM by Bushranger
Where do I apply for the builder role? It sounds perfect for me!
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

10/10
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: Bushranger on April 05, 2015, 01:50:50 AM
Where do I apply for the builder role? It sounds perfect for me!

You have to apply in game.

I know this sounds stupid, but creating an "ArmMUD" account is a good idea.

Game changes: Uh, okay.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Can someone explain the zone changes in layman's terms.

Quote from: Jihelu on April 05, 2015, 02:03:25 AM
Can someone explain the zone changes in layman's terms.

objects in save rooms are saved to a database every two minutes now. In the past, they were saved much less frequently, like every 45+ minutes. Now if the game crashes, objects that were dropped or taken are much much less likely to be poofed or duped.

All of these improvements are great. They all help make things a little better all around. Looking forward to what comes next!
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

April 05, 2015, 07:52:30 AM #15 Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 08:48:38 AM by Lizzie
i wan 2 mak rheums leik dis

mai rheum NSEWUDWTF
lol hey boo im here makin rheums u c tree hear
big tal tree w/leik 400 braches n-leevs
u c rock w/riting: kilroy wuz here
Also here: ur mom
lol

>
srsly tho:

Awesome changes, all of them! I can't wait to submit my first MC since - well since a whole long time ago. I'd love to build some rooms and furniture and all kinds of other fun things, as well!
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

The appeal of playing GMH merchant sorts just increased drastically. No more list-making and note-taking every time a PC wants to order something and hoping that I interpret it right and that whichever staffer loads stuff interprets my interpretation of what is wanted right.

Serious question though:

Regarding the new builder position. I see that this will be exclusively building, no storytelling. I'm wondering though - will roll-out of built rooms/mobs/furniture/pancake mix/etc. involve no "storytelling function" at all? For an example:

Lizzie plays a merchant named Amosa who finally has earned the right to her own warehouse, and NPC guard. She submits this, and the builder builds it.
When it's time for the change to go live in the game, how will it be implemented? Can the builder animate the NPC guard and find Amosa's mind to inform her that he's taken up duty outside her new warehouse and give her a tour? And maybe they could have a brief discussion about the limits of his authority/duty, and he can go OOC to remind Lizzie (the player) of the syntax for getting him to unguard or guard or whatever it is that gate guards can be authorized to do?

Or will that still need to be handled by the unclanned storyteller staff? Or will it no longer be handled at all? Or will it be a case-by-case situation?

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I think staff will just assign a list of things that need to be built to builders, who will complete them and check them off on the list. Nothing else, if I'm reading correctly.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Builder positions are builder only.  There is no animation involved.  The staff needing the building project (admin and ST team requesting it) would be determining how a particular building project gets implemented.  Builders will not be interacting with the gameworld that players are inhabiting.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

The pending addition of npcs in the warehouse to reduce order time?

Fucking genius, man. Fucking genius.

Lots of good changes!

Question: if the bug/typo/idea database has been cleared out and I notice something that I've previously typo'd that still exists, should I resubmit?  Or does this mean that some are still pending, just not old ones and duplicates?
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

April 05, 2015, 10:26:13 AM #22 Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 10:30:12 AM by Desertman
My only concern.

I just hope the items with crafting recipes attached are NOT on the NPC's in the warehouses.

House hunters are already kind of undervalued in my opinion. It's a job where you know when you become a hunter in a lot of ways the things you bring in aren't needed because, "All of the really good stuff is just ordered through staff anyways. They aren't using my materials to make it.".

I really like the idea of NPC's in warehouses having all of the items you can't codedly craft. If it can be codedly crafted however, let's leave that to the actual in-game players to produce. In my opinion, that is just much more fulfilling for everyone.

I would also love for the NPC's lists to basically be a guideline for "What do we need to make crafting recipes for so we can take it off of this list asap.".

In a perfect world/game (in my opinion) eventually those NPC's would have no items in their lists and all items would be craftable through the IC efforts of the players in the Houses.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: valeria on April 05, 2015, 09:52:32 AM
Lots of good changes!

Question: if the bug/typo/idea database has been cleared out and I notice something that I've previously typo'd that still exists, should I resubmit?  Or does this mean that some are still pending, just not old ones and duplicates?

There are definitely some still pending, around 2500 or so. There are just no longer around 15,000 sitting in the database.  If you submitted something say - 3 years ago and it's still not fixed, then yes, resubmit it. If it was within that timeframe it may still just be waiting for proper attention.

Quote from: Desertman on April 05, 2015, 10:26:13 AM
My only concern.

I just hope the items with crafting recipes attached are NOT on the NPC's in the warehouses.

House hunters are already kind of undervalued in my opinion. It's a job where you know when you become a hunter in a lot of ways the things you bring in aren't needed because, "All of the really good stuff is just ordered through staff anyways. They aren't using my materials to make it.".

I really like the idea of NPC's in warehouse having all of the items you can't codedly craft. If it can be codedly crafted however, let's leave that to the actual in-game players to produce. In my opinion, that is just much more fulfilling for everyone.

I would also love the NPC's lists to basically be a guideline for "What do we need to make crafting recipes for so we can take it off of this list asap.".

In a perfect world/game (in my opinion) eventually those NPC's would have no items in their lists and all items would be craftable through the IC efforts of the players in the Houses.

This is how the system works right now. Right now if it's a clan craftable we ask that the GMH merchant/agent ordering try and get the players to craft it. What we do is provide the clan materials needed to make said items. For example in Kurac it may be certain types of camouflage material.