Getting Involved

Started by gotdamnmiracle, February 28, 2015, 06:58:58 AM

Hi everybody. I've played a bit and I really like the atmosphere. I know that it's not a new thing when someone shows up and has a bunch of ideas to change something, sometimes for the worse and other times for the better, but I'd like to give it a try helping to submit objects, creatures, and even rooms if possible. I'm not very knowledgeable about coding, but I have a reasonable understanding of what is worn and the style as well as I can read a thesaurus.

I'd like to know how I can get involved, in some small way, or where I can get the information how to.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

February 28, 2015, 08:29:43 AM #1 Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 08:33:51 AM by Cavaticus
Staff will periodically use the submissions forum to put all calls for help from players. That's an easy way to add to the game. You could also make a character with the ability to make mastercrafts (merchant or one of the extended crafting subguilds) and add objects to the game that way.

Honestly though, the best way for players to add to the game (other than playing!) is to help us get more players. The more players we have, the richer the world and the better the gameplay experience.

Quote from: Cavaticus on February 28, 2015, 08:29:43 AM
Staff will periodically use the submissions forum to put all calls for help from players. That's an easy way to add to the game. You could also make a character with the ability to make mastercrafts (merchant or one of the extended crafting subguilds) and add objects to the game that way.

Honestly though, the best way for players to add to the game (other than playing!) is to help us get more players. The more players we have, the richer the world and the better the gameplay experience.

I've actually been trying to do this a lot! I put a post on the Dwarf fortress forum (they're the same sick masochists who would like ARM) and I put a comment on the PBS Idea channel asking them to do a look at RP enforced games and why it is much more accepted to not have a strong gleaming example of a mid/maxed PC, but a common citizen that lives, gets by, and dies, providing an experience, much like an actor playing a role. I highlighted Arm in this. It may do you guys well to contact them more formally however. I'll try to keep a look out for other avenues to provide a bigger playeerbase. Any suggestions?
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

That all sounds awesome to me. I think it's great when you guys talk us up in other online communities, but I also think it should be the product of player excitement rather than being directed (either explicitly or implicitly) by staff. In other words, exactly what you're doing now is great! Keep up the good work. :)

Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on February 28, 2015, 06:58:58 AM
Hi everybody. I've played a bit and I really like the atmosphere. I know that it's not a new thing when someone shows up and has a bunch of ideas to change something, sometimes for the worse and other times for the better, but I'd like to give it a try helping to submit objects, creatures, and even rooms if possible. I'm not very knowledgeable about coding, but I have a reasonable understanding of what is worn and the style as well as I can read a thesaurus.

I'd like to know how I can get involved, in some small way, or where I can get the information how to.

When you see other posts on the GDB, some GDB members have 'helper' tagged under their name. Talk to those folks. The general community can offer advice for this too, but people with 'titles' on the GDB have normally contributed to the game in some at least some small measure in the ways you are after.

I can only imagine the horror of the dwarf fortress players when they arrive and realize

1.  Their dwarves can't have beards
and
2.  They can't make everything 'menace with spikes of iron.'

WHEN IS THE NEXT PATCH

March 06, 2015, 06:40:53 AM #6 Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 06:50:35 AM by racurtne
Quote from: Erythil on March 06, 2015, 06:09:33 AM
I can only imagine the horror of the dwarf fortress players when they arrive and realize

1.  Their dwarves can't have beards
and
2.  They can't make everything 'menace with spikes of iron cat bone.'

WHEN IS THE NEXT PATCH

I've seen some tribal item descriptions that read like dwarf fortress items.

This spear has a mural carved into it, complete with frolicking (lol) animals, floral patterns, and lunar cycles because why not? If it only had quirri-bone spikes and a carving of cheese it would have been my favorite item.

If you make an item like that in-game, you are definitely contributing something to the world. Cheese cultures are the best cultures (wink wink).
Alea iacta est

Quote from: Erythil on March 06, 2015, 06:09:33 AM

1.  Their dwarves can't have beards
and
2.  They can't make everything 'menace with spikes of iron.'

WHEN IS THE NEXT PATCH
Dwarf Focus:
Collecting all the socks. ALL of them.