If there was a third city...

Started by Erythil, February 16, 2015, 07:04:04 PM

I wish there was something on the road between Luir's and Allanak. One, elves, two, somewhere cool to make a pit stop and get a water refill and also buy the fried tuber slices in a bag because you're out of food and fried tuber slices are all they've got. They're totally supposed to mimic chip bags I think. No corrals though, because its a hole in the ground that has a water table beneath it.
Eat your fries with mayonnaise next time

Quote from: i love toilets on March 05, 2015, 10:56:43 AM
I wish there was something on the road between Luir's and Allanak. One, elves, two, somewhere cool to make a pit stop and get a water refill and also buy the fried tuber slices in a bag because you're out of food and fried tuber slices are all they've got. They're totally supposed to mimic chip bags I think. No corrals though, because its a hole in the ground that has a water table beneath it.

I've tried to make something like this happen IC.

I'm fairly certain that staff would prefer to keep the trek between the two locations deliberately arduous for thematic reasons, even if there's theoretically a lot of money to be made ICly.

Cenyr is ridiculously similar as is, and trying to build anywhere else is risky due to the frequent, massive earthquakes that cause tremendous chasms to open up in the Red Desert. And gith. And raptor packs. Etc etc.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Frequent? I call bullshit.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

If there was a third city, I'd want them to have fireworks during all rpts and be chinese in theme.
Eat your fries with mayonnaise next time

Quote from: i love toilets on March 06, 2015, 01:03:01 PM
If there was a third city, I'd want them to have fireworks during all rpts and be chinese in theme.

So you mean elven with 'traps' ... too bad they did away with traps a while ago.

Seeing as this thread is coming to a slow halt I have to give one last push of another idea!

How about a floating city? totaly gick powered with the ability to roam around the known at random! maybe even have a rope ladder available for those they deem worthy to come visit?
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Quote from: perfecto on March 08, 2015, 04:48:53 AM
Quote from: i love toilets on March 06, 2015, 01:03:01 PM
How about a floating city? totaly gick powered with the ability to roam around the known at random! maybe even have a rope ladder available for those they deem worthy to come visit?

Just run down to Red Storm, buy some beans, have a krathi Gick them, and toss them into the silt. Then all you have to do is wait the night and see what pops up.
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

April 21, 2015, 11:28:06 PM #59 Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 11:29:59 PM by Pale Horse
The Hole

Rumors abound of a place in the wastes, long from the reach of the Shadow and beyond the touch of Light, where waste-crawlers, marauders, tribals and the despised gather on neutral ground to pawn their ill-gotten gains, virtues, and lives.

A sea of makeshift hovels, tents, wagons and torn ground, the wealth of cities flows through this cesspit.  Herds are sold (and stolen).  Water is carefully weighed and traded.  The three essential specials of spice, sex and slaves are the hottest commodities.  Gambling is the "city" sport, be it on the omnipresent games of chance, feats of strength and cunning or the days-long blood matches in every corner.

If you are alone, the only friend you have is your dagger.  Groups fight with sword and word for the best places to camp and set up shop.  Within their claimed bit of sand and dirt, their word is law and no one will give a damn to the swindled, enslaved and murdered.  Common law is survival of the fittest, "don't piss off the toughest assholes around," and expect to bring the whole horde of scum down upon your head if you antagonize too many.  You bring trouble with you, you had better hope you can handle it on your own or pay someone else to do so.

The Sword is the law.  Your 'Sid is your life.  Your Wits are your only kith and kin.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

But what about magick in the hole?

I would like to see a merchant elite city, as someone suggested.  Basically, power and a privileged life isn't determined by lineage, but by how much money you can make for yourself.  No templars, just a rich mafia syndicate and a Council made up of the most successful landlords.
There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. Can you feel it?  Can you?
- Rumi

I could see Luir's expanding into something like that, if factions developed within the Kuraci family and they diversified their business and/or allied with more minor merchant houses.

A city south of the Silt Sea that completely and utterly lacks any kind of racial bigotry whatsoever, full of vegetarians with massive farming operations that are high 80% of the time due to all of their water and all of their food being completely saturated with a whirlwind of spice. Their only saving grace is an extremely well-guarded copper mine that stretches down into the earth and has been used to build beautiful monuments of their Elders.
Age is an extremely big deal in this community, as spice overdose usually would overtake you before you could grow up in years.
Due to the addictive nature of spice, this also means that people born in the city usually never leave due to the crippling spice addiction, and being away from home makes them suffer the effects of withdrawl only relieved by the familiar breath of spice. Those who enter and leave the city must do a ceremonial ritual of eating spiced bread and drinking spiced water.
Highly religious, with ritualistic shamans going on wild spirit journeys. Mages usually become these shamans, which due to the spice causes their powers to go completely batshit wild.

Alright, so this is my idea I'm throwing out. We already have a city ruled by a Sorceror, and another ruled by a Psionicist. What if we had a city where it was all based around technology? I'm not saying full metal equipped armies or stuff like that, but like a technology range higher than Allanak and Tuluk. So what I'm talking about is like big walls, anti-magickal devices made by non-magickal means, siege weapons and hard and sturdy city defenses. Sort of like a Renaissance area of tech, just stuff made in the Zalanthan way.

Instead of opening up new cities, and new spots to be iso, I would much more willing to have mysterious ruins randomly pop up. Give signs of it a rl week in advance, something like you see strange ruins becoming exposed from the winds in the salt flats.(I.E. Stinel). After a week RL of giving signs, have the top of a tower finally become exposed, and then let the splunking begin. Strange oddities, mobs, creatures, and even other treasure hunters. Have the elf next to the bazaar sell maps or give hints or rumors with the maps he sells of where it would be at. I know this would be a very difficult process, but it would allow alot more variance. Imagine finding old Dragonthrall relics, metal, and the crap that doesn't want to let it go yet.

2cents.
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

Quote from: shadeoux on July 10, 2015, 10:00:42 AM
...and then let the splunking begin... ...Imagine finding old Dragonthrall Frobozz relics, metal, and the crap that doesn't want to let it go yet.
Hells yes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Cave_Adventure
Murder your darlings.

Instead of opening up new cities, and new spots to be iso, I would much more willing to have mysterious ruins randomly pop up. Give signs of it a rl week in advance, something like you see strange ruins becoming exposed from the winds in the salt flats.(I.E. Stinel). After a week RL of giving signs, have the top of a tower finally become exposed, and then let the splunking begin. Strange oddities, mobs, creatures, and even other treasure hunters. Have the elf next to the bazaar sell maps or give hints or rumors with the maps he sells of where it would be at. I know this would be a very difficult process, but it would allow alot more variance. Imagine finding old Dragonthrall relics, metal, and the crap that doesn't want to let it go yet.

2cents.

Oh gawd.  Yes.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

The Dragon returns to enact the final phase in his sinister scheme!

To open a tavern in the Red, that serves all manner of imported booze, and to use his wicked might to tend bar 24/7 for the rest of eternity. Note: brawling will result in being devoured.

When the black moon rises high into the sky, portals open to far off lands, allowing his thralls to import the finest booze and foodstuffs from far beyond the known in the blink of an eye, solving the problems and expenses related to logistics. Nenyuk is given a stall, which nobody would be insane enough to rob because, DRAGON! Some of the wealthy and powerful take up residence in the lavish dorms, siphoning from their savings to go on a spice, whore, booze and food binge that never ends. What's the catch, you might ask? *rubs claws together in a sinister fashion* Mwahahahahaha!!!

2cents.

This is something I've never understood about Armageddon - the fact that dungeon crawls are so few and far between. It's all anyone really wants - that's why heavy combat HRPTs, while hilariously lethal to PCs, see player numbers skyrocket. People wanna be around for the combat, the bloodshed, the ultraviolence.

Your idea is a great one. As an immortal - build an unlinked dungeon, stash sweet loot at the end of it, load badass NPCs in it, drop hints to the playerbase that initiates an RPT, link the dungeon, and DM the experience.

Someone give me a goddamn dungeon crawl with a fancy sword at the end.

July 11, 2015, 09:53:47 AM #71 Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 10:47:41 AM by LauraMars
Perhaps not even badassery mobs, just little things would excite the players and characters ICly and OOCly, not neccessary all being magical even, I think Magical encounters would alienate most of the players that play mundanes. Sure once in awhile put in a magical plot, but I would keep it mostly nonmagical so that the playerbase would all have the ability to interact with it. Badassed arms and armors not so much, but a new spiffy cookbook that has the ancient recipe of Kalan Love Juice, or some plans on lost tech to Zalanthas.

Edited by LauraMars to remove IC information! Please remember some people prefer to discover secret locations in game and not on the boards. Thanks!

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

I too am a proponent of random encounters, dungeons, ruins, etc.

I love that sense of discovery and lately I'm feeling like I'm running out of things to discover.

God I would love dungeon crawls.  So much.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Feco on September 16, 2015, 02:50:30 PM
God I would love dungeon crawls.  So much.

I hear ya. I heaaaaaaar ya.