If there was a third city...

Started by Erythil, February 16, 2015, 07:04:04 PM

If there were a third city, what culture, fictional or historical, would you like to see it patterned after?

Personally, given that the game world is full of obsidian everything and everybody is short on the value of human life, I think an Aztec-themed city state would be really cool.  Not necessarily as a place to play in, but as an antagonistic force...

Fill it with mages and make it greek like.

Quote from: Erythil on February 16, 2015, 07:04:04 PM
If there were a third city, what culture, fictional or historical, would you like to see it patterned after?

Personally, given that the game world is full of obsidian everything and everybody is short on the value of human life, I think an Aztec-themed city state would be really cool.  Not necessarily as a place to play in, but as an antagonistic force...

In the traditional Dark Sun campaign setting, Draj seems pretty Aztec-like.

Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Mercantile city with no templarate. Ruled by fueding factions of trade princes etc.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Where running around with a hood up is a crime punishable by death.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

February 16, 2015, 09:10:28 PM #7 Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 09:15:19 PM by Kol
Damn memes not showing correctly

Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

I think an Aztec-themed city state would be really cool.  Not necessarily as a place to play in, but as an antagonistic force...
Tektolnes is an Aztec-themed name (not a actual name from the Nahuatl language, but of a similar linguistic style.)  I usually find Aztec-themed stuff to be entirely in-line with Allanaki culture when it (admittedly rarely) shows up it in-game.  And Allanak is nothing if not antagonistic.
Murder your darlings.

Quote from: Mook on February 16, 2015, 09:16:19 PM
I think an Aztec-themed city state would be really cool.  Not necessarily as a place to play in, but as an antagonistic force...
Tektolnes is an Aztec-themed name (not a actual name from the Nahuatl language, but of a similar linguistic style.)  I usually find Aztec-themed stuff to be entirely in-line with Allanaki culture when it (admittedly rarely) shows up it in-game.  And Allanak is nothing if not antagonistic.

Wikipedia on Draj:

"Draj

Located on a vast mud flat in the Northeast of the Tyr Region, Draj was formerly ruled by the brutally expansionist sorcerer-king Tectuktitlay. After his death at Rajaat's hand in Ur-Draxa, he has been replaced by his putative son Atzetuk. This city-state may take inspiration from the Aztec civilization."

Definitely similarities there...

I would definitely like to see one of the cities from the 2.Arm canon. Specifically, "the one where height is a big deal". I'd be interested to see how players (and staff) build a city where height is everything. The Highborn are really living the high life. The bottom areas are where all the shit flows (literally). A mercantile city where its primary export is water farmed from water fields they covet and protect at all costs.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: HavokBlue on February 16, 2015, 08:34:35 PM
Mercantile city with no templarate. Ruled by fueding factions of trade princes etc.

I love the shit out of this.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

A city that is literally ruled by height and weight, or something equally as arbitrary as 'skin color'.

Short people are considered sub-human (Dwarves, short humans).

Tall people are exalted, for being 'closer to the Sun' or some other cultural phenomena.

People are afforded more wealth and status for their height. Fashion all revolves around neck-extensions, tall-heeled boots beyond the norm, and colors that tonally lend towards extending one's figure.

People with Girth are considered rich, while people who are skinny are considered beneath notice.

Just one facet.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

Quote from: Riev on February 17, 2015, 02:28:43 AM
I would definitely like to see one of the cities from the 2.Arm canon. Specifically, "the one where height is a big deal". I'd be interested to see how players (and staff) build a city where height is everything.

Heheh
Eat your fries with mayonnaise next time

A city of 70% elves where crimcode is different for stealing and a lot more lenient. Templars, nobility and such are still human, and humans still have their same old privileges, but things are notably easier for elves there and rumor boards and everyday tavern talk even by humans demonstrates more elven psychology or more knowledge of it.
Eat your fries with mayonnaise next time

I would like to see a dwarfen city myself.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

A raptor city.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Fujikoma on February 17, 2015, 09:54:44 AM
A raptor city.

+1 

Raptor cultural nuances are under-appreciated.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

I would. join the 'nuke tuluk' crowd but add whatever city #3 was to the list.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

A city ruled by a dynasty of elven families.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Down Under on February 17, 2015, 04:04:41 AM
A city that is literally ruled by height and weight, or something equally as arbitrary as 'skin color'.

Tall people are exalted, for being 'closer to the Sun' or some other cultural phenomena.

People are afforded more wealth and status for their height. Fashion all revolves around neck-extensions, tall-heeled boots beyond the norm, and colors that tonally lend towards extending one's figure.

People with Girth are considered rich, while people who are skinny are considered beneath notice.

Just one facet.

This would cause the city to fall in a day. Half-giants would all be in charge, and revered. I can't possibly see -everything- going wrong with this.

Quote from: ABoredLion on February 22, 2015, 03:42:50 PM
Quote from: Down Under on February 17, 2015, 04:04:41 AM

Just one facet.

This would cause the city to fall in a day. Half-giants would all be in charge, and revered. I can't possibly see -everything- going wrong with this.

Yeah, it might possibly be run in a slightly saner manner than Allanak. Can't have that. :P
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

A dwarf city would be interesting  in concept but likely terrible to play for non-dwarf.

I imagine every dwarf has some help-the-city-related-focus. Chief Amos thinks that the wall design by Chief Malik is not ideal. He calculates how many dwarf lives are worth losing to stop Malik's design compared to how many Malik's design will lose. After factoring in the cost to the city's safety the loss of Chief Malik and clan will cause he decides Malik must die. I can imagine a lot of dwarf on dwarf conflict as they squabble over who is doing the job 'best'. I imagine there would be Half-giants everywhere because of the industrious nature of the dwarfs. The fact that every dwarf would would be a zealot would keep the half-giants indoctrinated. I think the dwarfs would likely not tolerate other races except as slaves, since they are lazy, unfocused, and disloyal.

Without an overarching focus I'm not sure dwarfs are capable of having a city as written.