Author Topic: Armageddon TvTropes  (Read 7502 times)

MeTekillot

Armageddon TvTropes
« on: January 27, 2015, 11:04:29 PM »
Come here to discuss Our TvTropes Page, and also to make submissions or edits to it. If you're confused by the editing (which takes some practice), you can just post any addendum here, and I'll take it upon myself to insert it into the page. You can also discuss tropes we should feature on the page, or things we should mention, summaries, etc.
Where have you buried the body, MeTekillot?

Patuk

Re: Armageddon TvTropes
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 04:04:11 PM »
So, just what did you change/add?
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

MeTekillot

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 05:28:12 PM »
I added both the blurbs about the cities in the original introduction and I also wrote the stuff about the Allanak noble houses. I also fixed quite a few spelling and grammar mistakes, but there are still ones I missed, most likely.

MeTekillot

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 05:30:59 PM »
Stuff I'm wanting to add but don't actually know enough to do:

What typical southern nobles look like for each House, House colors, House mannerisms.
Blurbs for northern nobles.
A cleaner, more concise summary of Tuluk. I haven't played there in about a year or two so I feel like my current one doesn't do it justice.
Trope examples to link for each of the Houses, to give people a general idea of what they're about, besides my adequate or not summaries.

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 06:24:41 PM »
Can't you just pull most of that stuff out of the common helpfiles?  If it's not in the helpfiles, it probably shouldn't be on the tvtropes anyway.

I don't really want to learn how to tvtropes, but I'm a pro helpfile comber and edit writing for a living.  If you want me to review spelling/grammar or find any information for you, just let me know.

MeTekillot

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 06:32:43 PM »
There's some common knowledge stuff that isn't in the helpfiles and docs because isn't there a doc rewrite going on right now?

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 06:37:12 PM »
Kind of.  A lot of the old private documents are getting put onto the clan forum pages.  But since the information isn't publicly accessible, I'm not really sure they are things that should be put on a public website like tvtropes.

Unless you're talking about something else entirely, in which case ignore me.

Nyr

• Red Fangs
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 10:25:40 AM »
What typical southern nobles look like for each House

Initially these docs existed for Tuluk (because they were added in).  They were later removed for newer blurbs.

Someone with more sciencey stuff should probably look at whether houses that regularly breed with (or send their members off to) other houses would actually HAVE a general house "appearance" for their members, seeing as how they're a hodgepodge of every house in existence in the city.  This was largely why it was removed (iirc).
Paint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

MeTekillot

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 06:34:21 PM »
Well if one House had physical traits that were largely dominant, genetics-wise, it would probably happen?

BadSkeelz

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 06:48:13 PM »
I think Nyr's point is:

If a House had physical genetic trait (say, distinctive hair color), that might have have been prominent early in their history. But after about a thousand years of the same nine to twelve extended families interbreeding with each other (plus the odd infusion of commoner blood), any "distinctive" physical traits would have been spread around enough among the families that they're no longer distinctive. Historical cases of aristocratic families having distinctive physical features (such as the "Hapsburg jaw") arose out of some very intense and prolonged inbreeding. Kind of the opposite of how noble houses in Zalanthas perform.

A more analogous case are mongrel dogs: take any given population of feral dogs that have existed for a few generations and they all tend to wind up looking like each other, regardless of the starting stock.
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

MeTekillot

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 06:58:45 PM »
but. . . harsh desert world. . . magick. . . zalanthas. . .?

Fair enough. Maybe we can just have something for general house dispositions, like how Oash are creepy, Dasari are mad scientists, Fale are whacked out?

BadSkeelz

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 07:05:58 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I like that the noble houses have distinctive physical and personality traits. Magick is as good an excuse as any.

I would agree that going general on the house dispositions is better. In fact, I think we have too much on the noble houses on the page as well. I don' think the TvTropes page should be a rehash of the Help Files along with a dash of common knowledge. It should have enough information to interest and entice people to visit the website and, from there, try out the game. The big bullet list of Allanaki Noble Houses stuck out like a sore thumb in comparison to the rest of the page.
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Patuk

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 07:22:36 PM »
Tvtropes isn't wikipedia, either. The page isn't there for a full description of what Armageddon is.

MeTekillot

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 07:38:29 PM »
Should I remove it?

MeTekillot

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 07:39:50 PM »
the bullet list, i mean. In its current form.

Asanadas

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 10:25:22 PM »
The bullet list is great. Tvtropes pages are known to be sprawling. The more blue links you can put in, the better.

deathkamon

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 10:44:33 PM »
We need to put it in the list of games listed by alphabetical order and put it in a game category.

MeTekillot

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 12:24:44 AM »
We're indexed on the proper pages, as far as I can see.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 01:21:42 PM »
Dasari Appearance - The women are notorious for being ample in chest and hip, and the men tend toward a portly build as well, both by nature and their luxurious lifestyles. Hair colors tend toward red or the middle ranges of brown and blonde, with almost all family members having a tint of red in their hair whatever its shade. Nearly all Dasari nobles, regardless of gender, use herbal-based perfumes and cosmetics to enhance their appearance. In short, they are one of the most civilized houses in Gol Krathu by outward appearance.

Kassigarh family members share a few common physical characteristics. They tend to be tall, thin, pale, sharply defined, blue-eyed and black or grey haired; uneducated commoners sometimes confuse them with Tenneshi family members, who share a similar appearance. This is in part due to frequent intermarriage between the two families.

Lyksae are known for having copper tones of skin: ranging from lightly tanned with freckles to a darker, almost umber hue, pale colored eyes (green, grey, blue, and sometimes even gold), and brown to black hair. As breeding grants variety, the occasional blonde or brown-eyed child is found, but the freckles pervade regardless.

Most in Negean are pasty in their skin tone and showing the signs of a sedentary life either very frail or rather fat.

Exotically beautiful, and they know it, the caramel-skinned and light-haired Uaptal often come in pairs. Genetically known for bearing twin offspring, the prolific Uaptal are, in most cases, highly demanded in marriage contracts.

Tenneshi is 404'd
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

MeTekillot

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 04:26:26 AM »
I was thinking of making a character page, for organizations, and the respective Sorcerer Kings? With no sensitive information, of course.

IAmJacksOpinion

• MySpace
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 08:29:59 AM »
Kassigarh family members share a few common physical characteristics. They tend to be tall, thin, pale, sharply defined, blue-eyed and black or grey haired; uneducated commoners sometimes confuse them with Tenneshi family members, who share a similar appearance. This is in part due to frequent intermarriage between the two families.

Lyksae are known for having copper tones of skin: ranging from lightly tanned with freckles to a darker, almost umber hue, pale colored eyes (green, grey, blue, and sometimes even gold), and brown to black hair. As breeding grants variety, the occasional blonde or brown-eyed child is found, but the freckles pervade regardless.

This is what I never got about the noble family common traits thing. I mean, it's cool in concept, but in reality you're either fucking your cousins, or people with nearly the same genotype as you. (Or people with whose differing traits are recessive.) In a society where like... 10 families intermarry exclusively (and have been doing it as long as Tuluk has) they would all look roughly the same.
Quote from: musashi
engaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

nauta

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 09:34:19 AM »

This is what I never got about the noble family common traits thing. I mean, it's cool in concept, but in reality you're either fucking your cousins, or people with nearly the same genotype as you. (Or people with whose differing traits are recessive.) In a society where like... 10 families intermarry exclusively (and have been doing it as long as Tuluk has) they would all look roughly the same.

I think mutations happen a lot on our harsh desert planet, and evolutionary bottlenecks.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

IAmJacksOpinion

• MySpace
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 12:19:48 PM »
Sure, but I doubt this is a mutation (since it seems to have lasted for successive generations). I also don't think it's a bottleneck because, even though Nobles are drawing from a much smaller genetic pool than commoners, that pool has probably been fairly consistent at LEAST since the occupation ended in the North. So, without any new genes coming from outside the breeding pool, I'd be willing to bet that, unless marriages are decided on a pundit square, the whole Noble population would all have basically the same genotype by now.
Quote from: musashi
engaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

bcw81

• Helper
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 01:33:52 PM »
Sure, but I doubt this is a mutation (since it seems to have lasted for successive generations). I also don't think it's a bottleneck because, even though Nobles are drawing from a much smaller genetic pool than commoners, that pool has probably been fairly consistent at LEAST since the occupation ended in the North. So, without any new genes coming from outside the breeding pool, I'd be willing to bet that, unless marriages are decided on a pundit square, the whole Noble population would all have basically the same genotype by now.

1450 (Year 64 Age 19) - The First Cataclysm of Tuluk
1476 (Year 13 Age 20) - Beginning of the Siege of Tuluk
1516 (Year 53 Age 20) - End of the Siege of Tuluk (Many, many houses died here, lowering genetic diversity, now down to six houses.)
Unknown Date - House Lyksae elevated to the rank of Surif. (Now 7 Houses)
1632 (Year 15 Age 22) - House Negean was abolished (6 Houses)
1634 (Year 17 Age 22) - House Uaptal was murdered (5 Houses)
1640 (Year 23 Age 22) - Current Date

So, before I start to explain anything - It's only been about one hundred years since there have really been so few houses in Tuluk. Let's take a look at some RL analogy - King Charles II of Spain!

Esh. Looks like that poor inbred fool only took 200 years.

Basically what I'm trying to convey here is that there hasn't been enough time passed to really see the genetic diversity you're expecting (especially with Lyksae who have only been elevated in the last 100 years). It -would -be a real problem, but there are IC reasons why it isn't in some cases.

Though, I'm fully for it becoming a problem in the next 100 IG years.

A female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Bast

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2015, 02:19:14 PM »

1450 (Year 64 Age 19) - The First Cataclysm of Tuluk
1476 (Year 13 Age 20) - Beginning of the Siege of Tuluk
1516 (Year 53 Age 20) - End of the Siege of Tuluk (Many, many houses died here, lowering genetic diversity, now down to six houses.)
Unknown Date - House Lyksae elevated to the rank of Surif. (Now 7 Houses)
1632 (Year 15 Age 22) - House Negean was abolished (6 Houses)
1634 (Year 17 Age 22) - House Uaptal was murdered (5 Houses)
1640 (Year 23 Age 22) - Current Date

So, before I start to explain anything - It's only been about one hundred years since there have really been so few houses in Tuluk. Let's take a look at some RL analogy - King Charles II of Spain!

Esh. Looks like that poor inbred fool only took 200 years.

Basically what I'm trying to convey here is that there hasn't been enough time passed to really see the genetic diversity you're expecting (especially with Lyksae who have only been elevated in the last 100 years). It -would -be a real problem, but there are IC reasons why it isn't in some cases.

Though, I'm fully for it becoming a problem in the next 100 IG years.

Tuluk's government set up has always rubbed me wrong and honestly it seems their is a caste system is only for the sake of 'being different from allanak' and less because a cast system would have naturally come into existence there. It would seem to me that a city with nobles houses that all rose up from tribal backgrounds/common stock, and are themselves only around today because the common folk saved them, would have never developed a caste system in the first place. Rather it would seem much more likely they would have an system more open to allowing the right kind of commoners elevate. That said, I never really liked the grey hunt because I felt it encouraged the wrong kind of game play and rewarded it, however I always felt that was one of the few cool things I did like about Tuluk. You had a chance as a commoner to elevate your status. Which was an interesting and unique difference from Nak, that actually made some sense. I think it would be interesting if there was some other route to becoming a Hlum Noble that was more socially/roleplay based rather than what the grey hunt was. Might be a wise way to inject some new DNA into the pool. It doesn't really matter how large any of these five families are or how many cousins and uncles and brothers and sisters your families have in them they still share all the same DNA..I am sure future generations of Tuluki nobility will be some interesting folks ;) in a very 'special' way.
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

nauta

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2015, 02:27:56 PM »
That said, I never really liked the grey hunt because I felt it encouraged the wrong kind of game play and rewarded it, however I always felt that was one of the few cool things I did like about Tuluk. You had a chance as a commoner to elevate your status. Which was an interesting and unique difference from Nak, that actually made some sense. I think it would be interesting if there was some other route to becoming a Hlum Noble that was more socially/roleplay based rather than what the grey hunt was.

A curious derailer woud like to know:

What was the grey hunt and how did it work?  All I could find out about it was this:

While originally composed of both Hlum and Surif nobility, the new government had done away with the Hlum titles for the most part, the exception to this being the title of Nobility that was granted to the winner of the Grey Hunt, a contest held roughly every 7 years, or 11 such contests per King's Age. This practice was stopped in the Month of the Ascending Sun in Year 10 of the 22nd Age when the Hlum were eradicated with deadly efficiency. Now public or private mention of the Hlum or the Grey Hunt are considered illegal. The burned hulk of their Estate, still yet to be rebuilt or repurposed, serves as a reminder of the Templarate's reach.

Was it an actual hunt?  I always assumed it was a ceremonial thing rigged beforehand via smooching and bribes.  (Also, I love this question because I literally can't find out IG :-).)

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

bcw81

• Helper
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 02:45:07 PM »
The Grey Hunt was a series of poems and things. The prospective citizen would need to go out and find the answer to them, then bring that back to the Faithful - I think the last one boiled down to 'What fruit am I talking about', 'What's the best animal you can kill,' and 'What herb am I talking about'. Obviously, IC it was more in depth, but that seemed to be the gist of it.

A female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Bast

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2015, 02:59:06 PM »
It should have been more about bribery and kissing the right back sides while proving you were at least some what socially accept about to the caste you were about to join.
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Patuk

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2015, 03:28:22 PM »
I would say something about inbreeding happening soon assuming perfect virtue and faithfulness on the part of tuluki she-nobles, but since every single one of them gets forcestored without a second thought I will have to agree that Tuluk's noble houses probably are collectively inbred already.

Save Lyksae, I guess. Yeah.

MeTekillot

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2015, 04:56:53 PM »
Maybe Muk Utep eats their brain whenever his adultery sense tingles.

I was thinking of making a character page, for organizations, and the respective Sorcerer Kings? With no sensitive information, of course.

Patuk

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2015, 05:19:30 PM »
Knock yourself out, man. You could make a character tab for every open clan out there, but I'm unsure of how it'd be salvaged.

MeTekillot

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2015, 01:44:51 PM »
I added some stuff.