I was home sick from work the other day and decided to build something that I had been meaning to create for a little while now. It's far from complete, but I wanted to put it out there to get some initial reactions.
There's a lot more work to be done on this app, but I wanted to get it out there to get some reactions / thoughts / crowd-sourced testing going.What is it?
A toolkit to help in the character application process. Currently it addresses some of the things I personally find most annoying about the character application process. Chief among them is line length, and the repetitive highlight, copy, paste associated with moving your mdescs and backgrounds over from a text editor to ginka. So I built word pads that wrap at 80 characters, and that will highlight entire lines on hover allowing you to hover and ctrl + c. The next thing is, obviously, the math associated with selecting character heights, weights, and ages. So I built some converters.Where do I get it?
Right now I'm going to be sharing releases on Source Forge.
You can download Version 0.1 here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/armageddontools/files/?source=navbarHow do I run it?
It's a single HTML file, so you simply run it in your web browser. That web browser should be Chrome.
This is accepted as scientific fact of the internet in general, but basically mandatory right now for ArmTools. Currently the mdesc / background pads are using some touchy strict sizing to create wordwrap at 80 characters, and that works differently between browsers (and possibly between screen resolutions). It's something I want to fix with my next release so that the app is usable in Firefox. However, I have no intention of EVER supporting Internet Explorer. If you're using IE, you don't deserve nice things!
Unless you're doing so because you use NVDA or JAWs, in which case I humbly apologize for my remarks, and invite you to inbox me and I'll work on some IE / ADA compatibility.Release 1.0 changes
- Added Mul to the race list. (Thank you Nyr for the racial details.)
- Added height conversion to cords. (No more "6 cord tall" human mdescs!)
- Restyled forms to make them more pleasing to the eye.
- Added validation to the forms, so they let you know when you're out of range.
- Fixed issues with mdesc / background textarea width. Should now be the correct character length, and the right size in all screens and browsers.
- Made mdesc / background textareas adjust height automatically as you type.
I have a few improvements to make on the current page, some of which I might want a little assistance for. The current bugs / issues / improvements I want to work on next are:
- Carriage returns & copy all on the background / mdesc textareas.
- Multi-paragraph support. The mdesc / background fields only support one paragraph. I want to allow multiples (for the background at least. If you need a second paragraph for your hair, you should be PK'd on principle.)
- Random Character Generator. This is a just for fun thing I want to include in the next release. I'd also like to make a setting for it where the chances were "realistic". Right now if you're going on a pure even chance scale, there's like a 50% chance you'll wind up as a mage, and I want a setting that will curb that with realistic demographic numbers. So if any saavy GDBers know where there's an documentation / discussions that talk about race percentages, city populations, mage to mundane ratios, etc, pass them on?
- Description Lists. I remember back when I first started there was a great site (which I've either lost, or has since been taken down) that had all kinds of colors, and terms that could be used to describe specific features. Such as a nose. I'd like to eventually add in a color chart (complete with swatches), and maybe a list of descriptive terms organized by body part, or overall stature.