Author Topic: Armageddon Tools  (Read 3626 times)

IAmJacksOpinion

• MySpace
Armageddon Tools
« on: January 24, 2015, 05:37:51 PM »
I was home sick from work the other day and decided to build something that I had been meaning to create for a little while now. It's far from complete, but I wanted to put it out there to get some initial reactions.
There's a lot more work to be done on this app, but I wanted to get it out there to get some reactions / thoughts / crowd-sourced testing going.

What is it?
A toolkit to help in the character application process. Currently it addresses some of the things I personally find most annoying about the character application process. Chief among them is line length, and the repetitive highlight, copy, paste associated with moving your mdescs and backgrounds over from a text editor to ginka. So I built word pads that wrap at 80 characters, and that will highlight entire lines on hover allowing you to hover and ctrl + c. The next thing is, obviously, the math associated with selecting character heights, weights, and ages. So I built some converters.

Where do I get it?
Right now I'm going to be sharing releases on Source Forge.
You can download Version 0.1 here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/armageddontools/files/?source=navbar

How do I run it?
It's a single HTML file, so you simply run it in your web browser. That web browser should be Chrome. This is accepted as scientific fact of the internet in general, but basically mandatory right now for ArmTools. Currently the mdesc / background pads are using some touchy strict sizing to create wordwrap at 80 characters, and that works differently between browsers (and possibly between screen resolutions). It's something I want to fix with my next release so that the app is usable in Firefox. However, I have no intention of EVER supporting Internet Explorer. If you're using IE, you don't deserve nice things! Unless you're doing so because you use NVDA or JAWs, in which case I humbly apologize for my remarks, and invite you to inbox me and I'll work on some IE / ADA compatibility.

Release 1.0 changes
  • Added Mul to the race list. (Thank you Nyr for the racial details.)
  • Added height conversion to cords. (No more "6 cord tall" human mdescs!)
  • Restyled forms to make them more pleasing to the eye.
  • Added validation to the forms, so they let you know when you're out of range.
  • Fixed issues with mdesc / background textarea width. Should now be the correct character length, and the right size in all screens and browsers.
  • Made mdesc / background textareas adjust height automatically as you type.

Feature List
I have a few improvements to make on the current page, some of which I might want a little assistance for. The current bugs / issues / improvements I want to work on next are:
  • Carriage returns & copy all on the background / mdesc textareas.
  • Multi-paragraph support. The mdesc / background fields only support one paragraph. I want to allow multiples (for the background at least. If you need a second paragraph for your hair, you should be PK'd on principle.)
  • Random Character Generator. This is a just for fun thing I want to include in the next release. I'd also like to make a setting for it where the chances were "realistic". Right now if you're going on a pure even chance scale, there's like a 50% chance you'll wind up as a mage, and I want a setting that will curb that with realistic demographic numbers. So if any saavy GDBers know where there's an documentation / discussions that talk about race percentages, city populations, mage to mundane ratios, etc, pass them on?
  • Description Lists. I remember back when I first started there was a great site (which I've either lost, or has since been taken down) that had all kinds of colors, and terms that could be used to describe specific features. Such as a nose. I'd like to eventually add in a color chart (complete with swatches), and maybe a list of descriptive terms organized by body part, or overall stature.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:25:43 PM by IAmJacksOpinion »
Quote from: musashi
engaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

RogueGunslinger

Re: Armageddon Tools
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 12:02:24 AM »
Awesome stuff, thank you.

IAmJacksOpinion

• MySpace
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 11:59:12 AM »
I just realized that the line-lengths are off on that. I was all but positive it was an 80 character line, but I guess it's actually 74. (72 if you count the "->" line prompt.) Changing for future releases, but if you want to for now you can pop the file open in a text editor and change 80 to 74 on lines 321 & 337 and the copy-paste features will work properly.

Armageddon.org

whitt

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 12:26:23 PM »
Always thrilled to find things that make life easier!

Thank you!
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Malken

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 03:57:39 PM »
I thought this thread was about me.

Otherwise, pretty cool!
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

IAmJacksOpinion

• MySpace
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 11:15:53 PM »

? Did I steal the name or something?

Armageddon.org

James de Monet

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 11:16:15 PM »
Just didn't feel like using the existing Armageddon tools sticky thread?   ;)

Also, the line length is 80 characters, last I checked.  Where did you get 74 from?  Keep in mind that some characters (such as carriage return) are invisible, however.  There is a tool in that other thread that allows you to format paragraphs, then copy-paste the whole thing into your client window with returns included.

Like the height/weight stuff!  Will put a link to this thread over with all the others.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

lordcooper

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 01:25:05 AM »

? Did I steal the name or something?

like ur calling him a tool m8
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

IAmJacksOpinion

• MySpace
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 07:01:29 PM »

I'd prefer to keep any discussion of it centralized here so that I can build off of it. I'm not a very avid GDB follower, so if I have to hunt for people trying to offer me advice / ideas / criticisms, they will probably fall on deaf ears. Also, as the name implies, this isn't complete yet, so there will be more versions to come. I want freedom to modify the OP to discuss versioning/documentation and what not.

Also, the line length is 80 characters, last I checked.  Where did you get 74 from?

Code: [Select]

Enter your Main Description.
Text Editor: (2000 character maximum) [create mode]
Type .h on a new line for help.  Terminate with '~' or .q on a new line.
[---|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----]
->
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12345

0       10        20        30        40        50        60        70   75

75. I guess I was wrong twice.

Keep in mind that some characters (such as carriage return) are invisible, however.  There is a tool in that other thread that allows you to format paragraphs, then copy-paste the whole thing into your client window with returns included.

Ah, neat. I was beginning to wonder about that myself because even this line by line is still only a mild time saver.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 07:04:11 PM by IAmJacksOpinion »

Armageddon.org

IAmJacksOpinion

• MySpace
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 06:26:45 PM »
Finally got around to finishing the first full release.

Release 1.0 changes
  • Added Mul to the race list. (Thank you Nyr for the racial details.)
  • Added height conversion to cords. (No more "6 cord tall" human mdescs!)
  • Restyled forms to make them more pleasing to the eye.
  • Added validation to the forms, so they let you know when you're out of range.
  • Fixed issues with mdesc / background textarea width. Should now be the correct character length, and the right size in all screens and browsers.
  • Made mdesc / background textareas adjust height automatically as you type.

Same link for download.

Armageddon.org

James de Monet

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 07:36:38 PM »
Code: [Select]

Enter your Main Description.
Text Editor: (2000 character maximum) [create mode]
Type .h on a new line for help.  Terminate with '~' or .q on a new line.
[---|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----]
->
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12345

0       10        20        30        40        50        60        70   75

75. I guess I was wrong twice.

It seems the ruler is only 75 characters (it even says so if you type '.h' while ediiting), but you can still enter 80.

Huh.  I always wondered why you could enter a line that extended past the end of the ruler.  Now I guess I know.  Good find.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Is Friday

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 07:00:15 PM »
Love this. Could you find it in your heart to make something that helps players that write biographies, letters, and books IG? Something that splits up the appropriate lines would be ever so helpful. As it is right now it's fairly annoying to trial-and-error.
Quote from: shadowspeak discord
did you just meet a ridiculously unfuckable psychotic female character? It's 75% likely that Is_Friday is playing it! unfuckable, unwantable, unloveable, poorly played, stereotype-driven, abusive, and shallow!

Riev

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 11:27:33 PM »
Love this. Could you find it in your heart to make something that helps players that write biographies, letters, and books IG? Something that splits up the appropriate lines would be ever so helpful. As it is right now it's fairly annoying to trial-and-error.

I know you can write bios externally (or we used to be able to).

Considering I tend to use Bios as personal "weekly updates", this would be awesome to just have an external Journal Writer.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

James de Monet

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 10:42:04 PM »
This tool is nifty. I like the conversion to human years, cords, etc.

I don't see any reason you couldn't use this tool for that purpose, just copy and paste.

And, at the risk of repeating myself, if you want to paste, format, and be able to copy-paste the whole thing into your Arm client, there's still -this-.