Returning New Player

Started by The Warshaper, January 23, 2015, 06:33:22 PM

Sounds a bit odd but yes I played several months back and had a blast. Died rolled a second character and couldn't find time to play. Now I'm dorking around on the forums again reading docs and finally got the itch to play.

I logged in and my old character whom I had abandoned  :'( was still kicking it. I am afeared to log in though as his absence would be hard to excuse... and I am still a new player. Should I try to fit back in or delete??? if that's even an option.

Welcome back.  I would store if you can't get into your PC or they are clanned.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

There are plenty of excuses you could use. A long illness. Went off to visit family. If you are clanned it becomes more difficult. I would suggest that you determine if you like and want that character and use that as your decision. A long term absence should never be the sole determining factor in storing a PC. If you can't get into the character or role they sure store it. If you are considering storing just because you can't think up an excuse for being around so long then I wouldn't store it. In the end it's all up to you. Also, no excuse really needs to be given. People are around at various hours and times, so you simply might not have run into anyone you know while you were around.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Do whichever you prefer.  Long absences aren't hard to excuse in Arm.  People tend to understand that they're usually at least a little OOC and roll with whatever you tell them.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Just bear in mind that if you ARE clanned, there might be clan caps on that particular clan. If there are, and your character has been presumed dead for the past few months, his "slot" might have been replaced already. If that's the case, one of you might be out of a job. If your boss is dead, and the new boss is the one who hired the new guy, then you should expect that your character's job might no longer exist. Sadly, this is an OOC thing, and makes it awkward at the absolute best, to have to roleplay out from all sides. "Oh I'm sure Amos was an awesome Trooper and had an impressive track record and produced and got us tons of contracts. But he hasn't been around for the past 5 years, and Runner Malik has, and has finally agreed to accept a promotion, and I've actually worked with him for all this time, I trained him myself, and he doesn't have any of the bad habits that Amos's boss had. So Amos is outta here."

You can't say you've been there the whole time and have just been a VNPC in the unit, because that puts the burden on the player of the boss to roleplay a relationship with your character that he just flat out didn't have.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

i would guess that there is a 90% chance you're totally fine to come back as normal if it has only been months. Think of an IC excuse like slvrmoontiger describes or just use the OOc command and explain also that you're a very new player.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

@Lizzie I'm sure clan caps are flexible for a few weeks. In a situation like that isn't it the clan leader's and staff's responsability to do something like arrange a dangerous rpt to kill a few people off? ;) If it's the Byn or whatever, all that needs to happen is for staff to add a new contract from spiced up NPC Lady Borsail x who has a mantis fetish and wants the Byn to go out and capture some. Near guaranteed deaths there!
yousuck

If you like the character enough to play it, keep it. (In that case, people oocly get that you have a life. So, even a flimsy excuse will do.) If the character wasn't doing much for you any way, toss it and make something that seems more fun.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: yousuff on January 24, 2015, 01:16:54 PM
@Lizzie I'm sure clan caps are flexible for a few weeks. In a situation like that isn't it the clan leader's and staff's responsability to do something like arrange a dangerous rpt to kill a few people off? ;) If it's the Byn or whatever, all that needs to happen is for staff to add a new contract from spiced up NPC Lady Borsail x who has a mantis fetish and wants the Byn to go out and capture some. Near guaranteed deaths there!

The OP specified that he hadn't played in several *months* not a few weeks. Several months of inactivity equates to a few years of non-existence as a PC, in game-time. Also, my concern isn't specific to the Byn. It's not specific. It regards any role or position that has caps. Such as - bardic circles. Nobles' aides. The Byn. Promoted PC Kurac Sergeants. Templars' aides. SLK krathis.  If I'm a Kurac Sergeant and I'm only allowed to have 6 PCs in my unit, and two disappeared 3 RL months ago and are presumed dead, then I'm going to replace those PCs after a RL month or two. Then those two show back up out of nowhere, and suddenly I have 8 PCs under my command. I shouldn't have to be the one to take responsibility for killing two off. Those two who disappeared without a trace or even a note to the staff saying they're coming back, should just stay disappeared. It's an OOC situation, I shouldn't have to bear the burden of handling it IC.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I think almost every clan leader will be more than happy to work around a returning new player. There's no reason to create stress about a situation that will only arise with a very small minority of leaders. Most people will just welcome them back and roll with it, as will the clan staff who oversee those caps. Let's not scare people. I've been asked not to hire any more. I've never been asked to kill people. And whether or not other people have isn't a good topic for a new player. Let's be welcoming. Or lets fake it.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Lizzie on January 24, 2015, 02:14:41 PM

The OP specified that he hadn't played in several *months* not a few weeks. Several months of inactivity equates to a few years of non-existence as a PC, in game-time. Also, my concern isn't specific to the Byn. It's not specific. It regards any role or position that has caps. Such as - bardic circles. Nobles' aides. The Byn. Promoted PC Kurac Sergeants. Templars' aides. SLK krathis.  If I'm a Kurac Sergeant and I'm only allowed to have 6 PCs in my unit, and two disappeared 3 RL months ago and are presumed dead, then I'm going to replace those PCs after a RL month or two. Then those two show back up out of nowhere, and suddenly I have 8 PCs under my command. I shouldn't have to be the one to take responsibility for killing two off. Those two who disappeared without a trace or even a note to the staff saying they're coming back, should just stay disappeared. It's an OOC situation, I shouldn't have to bear the burden of handling it IC.

But you won't be handling it IC, right? Unless staff has given you an IC reason you can use to explain your clan cap, which is otherwise an OOC mechanism.

Barzalene, were you saying that in that situation staff would generally not say "you're over your cap due to this guy so kick someone out" but would say "okay hiring freeze"?
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

Quote from: JackGibbons on January 24, 2015, 08:00:02 PM
Quote from: Lizzie on January 24, 2015, 02:14:41 PM

But you won't be handling it IC, right? Unless staff has given you an IC reason you can use to explain your clan cap, which is otherwise an OOC mechanism.

Barzalene, were you saying that in that situation staff would generally not say "you're over your cap due to this guy so kick someone out" but would say "okay hiring freeze"?

That has been my experience.

It's fine to log in with your PC and figure out if you still want to play him. It should not be an issue fitting back into the clan. Your leader will most likely be happy to see you.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Or at least hang a lampshade on the absence, shrug, and throw you in to the action.

I've seen a PC show up in a clan after months of inactivity. Dude turned out to be a major badass over time. I hate to think of how much would have been lost had he been stored, or if the boss had told him to take a hike.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

I don't think the clan cap is going to be ruthlessly enforced by staff if the player is returning. That's just ridiculous. Everyone should be happy to have the player return to the game, not blame them for pushing you over the cap by one player. Since the player-base effectively gained a player back, I think it's safe to say the clan cap would flex in this situation.  I seriously doubt leaders would have people come down on them for this situation.  ::)
Alea iacta est

The best way to return from a long slumber is to attack the clan leader and try to claim their spot as your own.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: chrisdcoulombe on January 27, 2015, 03:04:29 AM
The best way to return from a long slumber is to attack the clan leader and try to claim their spot as your own.
Amos, you killed the Sarge. You're the new Sarge.
Be gentle. I had a Nyr brush with death that I'm still getting over.

"I regret to inform you that the limits placed on our workforce has left no place for you in the company, Amos."

say (with a dark grin) Oh, I can think of a way to fix that -real- quick, Sarge.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Speaking of experience, being clanned is an easy way to make up excuses. Just complain about Sergeant/higherup/commander amos or somewhat that he keeps putting you on these mind-numbing jobs, and jump back in on the obviously more interesting things the PC sergeant/whatever thinks up.

Or just stab them, that works.
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.