How long do you grieve over a long-lived PC?

Started by Harmless, January 20, 2015, 11:55:33 AM

How long is it "normal" to feel the emotional consequences of a long-lived PC's death? (>30 days played or so)

a few days
14 (17.3%)
a week
5 (6.2%)
1-2 weeks
6 (7.4%)
2-4 weeks
6 (7.4%)
2+ months
9 (11.1%)
Grieve? I don't do that.
13 (16%)
Hours? Minutes?
10 (12.3%)
I never stop grieving them.
18 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Quote from: absurdist on February 23, 2015, 10:10:18 AM
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Smile as you roll up your revenge PC and plot out your twinking and abuse of OOC knowledge.

Disclaimer: Kidding! Don't do this! It's bad form.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Never seems to get any easier.

"Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you."
"Sir?"
"It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority."
"Sir?"
"That's practically zen."
― Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

I still grieve one particular PC.  It simply wasn't their time yet.  But clearly it was since they died.
There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. Can you feel it?  Can you?
- Rumi

I still get super angry about one particular PC I lost to this very day. It's not grieving. My grief period when he died went through ALL the damn stages.

To be honest. My last long lived character was my only long lived one. Suffice it to say I had an incredible time playing her. Its been more than a year or so since she died, to of all things not a three story fall or the rinth rat nps she fought before that. But to some people idk if it was admins or what but they gave a few emotes wham. It struck home how easy it is to end something. I was super pissed about it and actually still am sort of. But idk it was in its own right a beautiful ending i guess. It doesnt quite stop me from wondering what if she survived but still now that i have typed this out, i feel a sense of release i guess. I may even roll up a new character sometime

I think about it for a few days and feel their loss, but almost always the possibilities and excitement of the new pc outshine them. To be fair I always store before they reach two game years played. Always looking for the one.

November 24, 2015, 01:18:33 AM #57 Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 01:20:19 AM by In Dreams
I haven't had a PC taken from me on Armageddon yet, but I have elsewhere. I was devastated! I'd cry at first, and was pretty upset for probably a week, but eventually I'd get over it once I thought of something else that could interest me.

After I've had a PC for so long I think they become more like an alter-ego. Losing that whole persona I've had and known and loved for so long, after so much time spent playing them and seeing through their eyes, really hurts. I'm terrified of it, but I guess that possibility is part of why I play here. The atmosphere and the danger are a lot more real, knowing it could all be gone in an instant..

No i dont write bios after they are dead. I cant log so I dont rofl. But I did write the bios you can do while they are alive. I think I wrote a few.

Quote from: Hauwke on November 24, 2015, 06:20:53 PM
No i dont write bios after they are dead. I cant log so I dont rofl. But I did write the bios you can do while they are alive. I think I wrote a few.

You can write biography entries after a character has died if you do it from the website.

Log in to your account on armageddon.org, select "biographies" from the dropdown menu, and then choose your deceased character.  At the bottom of the list of biography entries will be a green "new entry" button.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

November 25, 2015, 01:13:39 AM #60 Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 01:16:48 AM by solera
It's a pity you can't log. That's what put me off tablets, though I think you can send the session to email. When my PCs die I sometimes take solace in reading highlights.  They're fun to read years later too. One day I'm going to write their bios ! To my shame, I am a skim reader, but it comes in useful for reading logs.

Whoops, I skim read your post. You mean, you can't log in. :) Not save logs.

I got over my last PC once I wrote up my current. I think it took me ten minutes.
I ruin immershunz.

It really depends on the Pc..some I am done with they die or I store them..If I had a lot I wanted to do with PC and lots of plans in the works then yes I mourn. I still miss my Krathi from 2007 for example. Its extra upset if I feel the death was cheap. I'd rather die in rped scene hands down ever time.
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"