A Newbie's First Impression of Armageddon

Started by Trillmendous, January 04, 2015, 08:26:51 AM

Character Creation Process - My overall first impression of the Character Creation Process was good and it was all thanks to the Helper system. I met a very nice Helper on New Years Eve too who stayed with me for about an hour and guided me through the whole Character Creation Process(This helper didn't seem to mind either)

1st day of playing - I'm not going to lie but I kind of felt a little annoyed due to the fact that all over the forums, helpers, and even players in game they all tell me to link up with a clan but it's so hard to actually do that at the beginning. From my experiences so far I felt like the people that led the clans were either too busy to deal with me or not around. Overall I liked the theme of the game and how realistic things are... and how the admins try to push for this realism this is not a game where players go and hunt all day killing everything just to get levels this is definitely a true role playing game.

2nd/3rd day of Playing - Things sort of picked up, I got in contact with a certain high ranking member of a clan the day before but he was busy, he did however tell me to get in contact with him in about a weeks time IG.
He immediately realized I was a newbie player and was very patient and taught me quite a few things ICly and OOCly(commands and such). My overall impression of the player base is a good one.

Forums/Admins - This is my first post but I've been lurking quite a bit around the forums and I've laughed quite a bit at some of the threads especially the ones where the admins are asking people to fill a certain role with funny pictures. I do hope I can be more involved in this forum actually and get to know most of you. I also had one experience with an Admin named Talia, she was also very kind and answered a certain question I had.

Overal Impression - I love this game and I've only been playing for 3 days. @admins You guys have a class game here for sure(from my knowledge this game has been around for over 20 years) and I will definitely try to stick around

Welcome Armageddon. Don't be afraid to murder, betray and corrupt your fellow players in game. They won't see it coming if you're a newbie.

Good luck.  ;D

Welcome. Nice of you to post. Have fun!
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

It's my first day of playing as well... being a roleplayer but not playing a MUD before it's fairly confusing to me, especially with the commands-- if there is a way to cut off parts of a scrab then I have not found it and I probably never will. It's also a little difficult to find people to roleplay with due to my timezone (boo australia) but the little bit that I did have was fun.

Glad you're doing well!

Take a knife or axe and skin it.

skin scrab

Also you can behead any corpse, to present the head to someone, with the "behead" command. I'm not entirely sure if you can behead a scrab, then skin it and get another head, but that would be funny.

It was definetly tough for me to actually get involved in anything the first day too but it kind of picked up the next few days. I think you'll find someone willing to help for sure - I noticed something really early about this game by reading the forums and just listening to people talk at bars. everyone seems to be looking for help. The merchants need hunters to get them materials, the hunters need merchants to pay them. The nobles need aides(I don't much about this but I heard people talking in the bars about being an aide to a noble)

Welcome!  I always like these first impressions posts, especially when they're so kind and glowing about helpers.  ;)  I hope you continue to have fun.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Welcome!  You're going to love it here.

I understand very well about the leaders being less visible, but a lot of players haven't been around as much as they normally are due to the holiday season.  I'm sure you'll see a big increase in the next RL week at most.  Stick around, it's more than worth it in the long run.

Welcome
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Welcome to both of the new players posting here... I have a bit of comment/feedback for the OP though.

You said that you created your character New Years Eve. Then your first impression on the first day of play is that no one was around or too busy to talk. I think its fair being so close to a holiday that you keep an open mind about people not being around or too busy. Holidays tend to cause less people to be around. It should start to pick up soon though.

Good Luck everyone.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

newbies <3 <3 <3
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Welcome, dibs on their boots.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Talia on January 04, 2015, 01:39:40 PM
newbies <3 <3 <3
dont steal my newbies talia ill cut u

Anyways! Welcome to Armageddon, and I'm glad you seem to be sticking around!

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Newbs for the newb-god!
Boots for the boot-throne!
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

We like Talia... Everyone lets kudos talia.
21sters Unite!

Hey! I'm actually new too. I've spent about 19 hours in game now over the past 4 days. I think I'm getting hooked. So far I love the game, lots of sitting around at first until I met a guy in a bar who actually took me under his wing, showed me around, taught me commands. Guess I got lucky that way, especially with all the post about players tricking newbs. Anyways before I ramble more, love the game guys and gals, and hope to see you all in it soon!

PS my next goal is joining a clan!

Tallia tickles my feelings inappropriately. Love the job you folks are doing! Thanks!

Quote from: Ser_Arty_Dayne on January 05, 2015, 02:09:58 AM
Hey! I'm actually new too. I've spent about 19 hours in game now over the past 4 days. I think I'm getting hooked. So far I love the game, lots of sitting around at first until I met a guy in a bar who actually took me under his wing, showed me around, taught me commands. Guess I got lucky that way, especially with all the post about players tricking newbs. Anyways before I ramble more, love the game guys and gals, and hope to see you all in it soon!

You're getting hooked? 19 hours over 4 days would equal more than 4 hours a day... Stop kidding yourself and face it! You ARE hooked.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

January 05, 2015, 06:20:18 PM #18 Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 06:23:50 PM by Trillmendous
Quote from: Ser_Arty_Dayne on January 05, 2015, 02:09:58 AM

haha I find this post very funny because my very first day someone asked my help for something, took me to a quiet area and then it turned out whatever he needed help with was gone... I was like well shit... this is it I better get ready for a fight to the death.

but nope,  he legit needed help with something but not anymore. He took me back to the bar and apologized for wasting my time

That or he just realized you were a noob and suddenly felt bad that he was going to PK the shit out of you ;)

I once killed a noobie by taking them off to some suspicious place and blugeoning them over the head. Then again I was a noobie too, but I still felt bad about it.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 05, 2015, 07:37:37 PM
That or he just realized you were a noob and suddenly felt bad that he was going to PK the shit out of you ;)

I once killed a noobie by taking them off to some suspicious place and blugeoning them over the head. Then again I was a noobie too, but I still felt bad about it.

>ooc the helper told me to betray you im sorry
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

glad to see some new newbies around!

I joined a few months ago, still feel mega-newbie really.

Welcome aboard! Hope to see you in game

Quote from: Rokal on January 06, 2015, 01:17:51 AM
glad to see some new newbies around!

I joined a few months ago, still feel mega-newbie really.

Welcome aboard! Hope to see you in game

New newbies as opposed to what? Old newbies?

I think that's you, bub.

Inception.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

Hey,

Welcome to the game! I wish I could go back and have that feeling I got from my first few days of RPI mudding. It blew my mind.

I just have a little tip. Christmas really got alot of people away from the game. I use to think it should bring more people to play with holidays, but working two jobs it's a pain. Keep at it. The leaders should start to return soon enough!
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Welcome to Armageddon!

I'm glad you're having a good experience. It can be tough in the beginning when you don't know what to do, are supposed to say, and piss people off unintentionally. But players are nice here, and they'll probably be trying to teach you how to act accordingly IG (depending on what their characters' personalities are like). Sometimes they do it in a mean way. But once you get into the flow of things, you'll be doing alright.

Just remember, don't try to win the game, just relax and enjoy the experience. You'll love it.
I ruin immershunz.

Quote from: Kankfly on January 07, 2015, 01:59:14 AM

Just remember, don't try to win the game, just relax and enjoy the experience. You'll love it.

This right here is about the best bit of advice anyone can give.

January 14, 2015, 05:14:01 AM #27 Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 06:48:11 PM by valeria
Well, that sounds better than my first go at it.

I sat in a bar for a while, waiting for someone who could introduce me to a clan. Then I realized I had spent too much of my starter money to afford the sign-up fee. So I walked around outside trying to figure out what to do to earn money. I wandered into a stable, and decided picking up dung without tools was for the best, as I wasn't sure how much tools would end up costing. So I shoveled my backpack with as much dung as I could find and looked up directions to the dung salesman. I'd might as well fess up to the fact that my only MUD experience consists of dabbling for about an hour a piece in a handful of MUDs throughout the years. I figured out the whole copy/paste directions thing, which was a real timesaver. Unfortunately as I was auto-walking I realized it had led me outside, which I had read was a horrible idea.  [It ended up being a horrible idea, but the story is very IC and current, so I have moderated it out.  -Love, valeria].

It wasn't exactly the prettiest life, but a life nonetheless. At least it was a learning experience.

That my friend, was a true Zalanthian experience. Welcome to Crackageddon!

Just a point of interest however, it's generally frowned upon to disclose information about a recently deceased PC until after a year. Sometimes longer depending on how involved in plots they were and if any of the PC's they were plotting with are still alive. Not that I mean to discourage you, but inform you for future reference.

For instance, from your story, I can tell what clan you tried to join, what area of the gameworld you were in, and where you died. This could lead to OOC information being used for IG benefits, which is a big no no.

And to make you feel better about yourself, My first PC lasted around three or four hours, and died a miserable death to a particularly weak gribbly. In fact, most of my PC's have died pretty un-inspiring deaths (and I've had a LOT) This game is a steep learning curve, but it's worth it.

In future, most players can generally spot a newbie, and will go out of their way (as long as it's within their PC's nature to do so) To help you out. While using the OOC command is discouraged, no-one will blame you for asking a question, and we're usually happy enough to answer any thrown at us. Syntax can be difficult to get the hang of, and learning the nuances of how different clans and races work and interact can be a challenge, but worth it.

What do you think would have made the experience better for you? Is there anything you think could be improved? Are there any aspects that you think need a clearer explanation?

Once again, welcome, and I hope you stick around!

Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

January 14, 2015, 06:06:01 AM #29 Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 06:49:23 PM by valeria
Quote from: Muddled on January 14, 2015, 05:14:01 AM

I sat in a bar for a while, waiting for someone who could introduce me to a clan. Then I realized I had spent too much of my starter money to afford the sign-up fee. So I walked around outside trying to figure out what to do to earn money. I wandered into a stable, and decided picking up dung without tools was for the best, as I wasn't sure how much tools would end up costing. So I shoveled my backpack with as much dung as I could find and looked up directions to the dung salesman. I'd might as well fess up to the fact that my only MUD experience consists of dabbling for about an hour a piece in a handful of MUDs throughout the years. I figured out the whole copy/paste directions thing, which was a real timesaver. Unfortunately as I was auto-walking I realized it had led me outside, which I had read was a horrible idea. [More goodness moderated out. -valeria].

It wasn't exactly the prettiest life, but a life nonetheless. At least it was a learning experience.

That's a brutal first character experience, but damn if it didn't make me smile. That hole is a has sucked me in(as in I stumbled idiotically into it) a couple times, and I wasn't even a noob when it happened. It has pulled quite a few people in before you and I'm sure even more will die again after you. Sucks that the directions took you outside, hope you get back in and try some more.

Welcome to Armageddon!

January 14, 2015, 06:43:51 AM #30 Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 06:50:03 PM by valeria

I sat in a bar for a while, waiting for someone who could introduce me to a clan. Then I realized I had spent too much of my starter money to afford the sign-up fee. So I walked around outside trying to figure out what to do to earn money. I wandered into a stable, and decided picking up dung without tools was for the best, as I wasn't sure how much tools would end up costing. So I shoveled my backpack with as much dung as I could find and looked up directions to the dung salesman. I'd might as well fess up to the fact that my only MUD experience consists of dabbling for about an hour a piece in a handful of MUDs throughout the years. I figured out the whole copy/paste directions thing, which was a real timesaver. Unfortunately as I was auto-walking I realized it had led me outside, which I had read was a horrible idea. [Whacked with the moderation wand.  -valeria].

armageddon.txt

Next time, when you realize you want to cancel out your commands after you've hit enter, use the "stop" command. This will put a stop to any command you've put in that hasn't been performed yet.

So if you're walking to your death and you can't seem to stop yourself because you hit too much "s"? Type in "stop", and it will stop you where you are.

Also, welcome to Armageddon. I hope you try again. :)
I ruin immershunz.

January 14, 2015, 09:06:40 AM #32 Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 06:50:43 PM by valeria

I sat in a bar for a while, waiting for someone who could introduce me to a clan. Then I realized I had spent too much of my starter money to afford the sign-up fee. So I walked around outside trying to figure out what to do to earn money. I wandered into a stable, and decided picking up dung without tools was for the best, as I wasn't sure how much tools would end up costing. So I shoveled my backpack with as much dung as I could find and looked up directions to the dung salesman. I'd might as well fess up to the fact that my only MUD experience consists of dabbling for about an hour a piece in a handful of MUDs throughout the years. I figured out the whole copy/paste directions thing, which was a real timesaver. Unfortunately as I was auto-walking I realized it had led me outside, which I had read was a horrible idea. [More moderaty goodness. -valeria].

Ginka tenderly hooks another for life.

Welcome to Armageddon!

Quote from: Kol on January 14, 2015, 05:50:29 AM
Just a point of interest however, it's generally frowned upon to disclose information about a recently deceased PC until after a year. Sometimes longer depending on how involved in plots they were and if any of the PC's they were plotting with are still alive. Not that I mean to discourage you, but inform you for future reference.

Oh, man. I should've known. I would have thought that there would've been holes everywhere, and that my description would've been vague enough that no one would know. I'll be very sure not to say anything for a fair amount of time in the future. I ask that everyone disregard knowledge of that IG information!

What do you think would have made the experience better for you? Is there anything you think could be improved? Are there any aspects that you think need a clearer explanation?

With all the documentation available, I think that so long as someone has the willingness to search out information, the world and how to live in it is quite clear. The only issue I faced were the lack of map (I've already decided to reach for some graph paper), and navigation of the world is just something that comes with time. Aside from that, I just have to be more willing to introduce myself to people. That latter is again just a typical issue with being new, though.

I'm quite happy with everything so far, though. I'm enjoying the depth, and the importance of playing an actual role in the game world. Here's to future endeavors!

:Also, in a mad rush to cancel my directions command, the first thing I thought to type was stop! I'm not exactly sure when I managed to type it in, but it ended up being just a little too late. Thanks for the tip, though, Kankfly. It's definitely going to bump up the common sense factor of my next character!

My first death, so I read some of the docs, decided I'd give it a go an actually came up with a dumbass character, dumbass #1 was destined for greatness, or so I thought. So, I slapped together an sdesc, mdesc, background, and pointed to the rinth... the horror...

No, destined for greatness may have been a bit of an overstatement. I wandered, I got lost, I think I kept going east or something, I never saw another human soul. I was still feeling out my surroundings when I started finding piles of free, though bloody gear. I found some free armor, for which I was quite grateful. I unquestioningly donned this shiny, new bone helmet, thinking, wow, that's SO cool, off to a great start, unknowing the horrors that awaited me. I continued to wander, and eventually, got shanked by an NPC, I thought it was another player at first, but an accounts notes request would reveal the true nature of this beast, I threw up my hands and said "No! Stop! Please?!?", then ran away, laying low in some attic a while, before venturing out again, still not knowing what had gotten me jumped. I intended to go throw myself on the mercy of this cloaked, hooded figure, and hoped he could show my newb, assassin ass some things. He wasn't in the mood for talking. Rion died with three hours played.

Previously, he'd fallen down the well, been rescued by an elf (who told him, "Don't talk about it or I cut, you, roundear!", with a snarl), and generally just bumbled about stupidly. My second character, however, was a ranger named Ralph, with amnesia, and a filthy, nasty beard, he joined the Byn and he survived almost an IG year. I had a blast! It's part of what hooked me, the mystery of all those incredibly hostile places with strange, unintuitive rules. Well, Ralph, right off the bat met a character who offered to escort him, gave him some friendly advice, almost sold him to gypsies, almost fed him to a carru, but shit was it fun! Thanks everyone, for making my experience such an enjoyable romp, and forgiving my newbness, I had a lot of fun!

QuoteI continued to wander, and eventually, got shanked by an NPC, I thought it was another player at first, but an accounts notes request would reveal the true nature of this beast, I threw up my hands and said "No! Stop! Please?!?", then ran away, laying low in some attic a while, before venturing out again, still not knowing what had gotten me jumped.

I loved that when I first joined the game.  I stumbled on a scene of a bartender in the oooooold tavern that used to be right outside the labyrinth entrance.  The bartender was talking to the templar.  I frantically started messaging all of my friends from other muds.  "EVEN THE BARTENDERS IN THIS GAME ARE PEOPLE."

It made me frantically interact with every npc I saw for days.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Muddled on January 14, 2015, 12:31:01 PM

Oh, man. I should've known. I would have thought that there would've been holes everywhere, and that my description would've been vague enough that no one would know. I'll be very sure not to say anything for a fair amount of time in the future. I ask that everyone disregard knowledge of that IG information!

No worries, man.  I've gone through this thread with the moderation wand to remove the recent IC info.  I'm glad you had a good/horrible time with your first PC!

For future reference though guys, it's a lot easier to do something like that if everybody and their brother doesn't quote the part that needs to be moderated.  :-*
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I thought the game was sort of empty because I'd asked around in the tavern for work, waited five minutes, and went out into a blinding sandstorm to a real person who explained that I should have waited and was notably upset about it. I disconnected at that point.

Next time I got a merchant and was hoping to start chopping wood in Tuluk. I got a weapons axe because it was a nice shade of pink, went outside the city and equipped it. A staffer then sent shivers up my spine so I removed the axe and preceeded for forty characters to explore the world and die of dehydration and monsters.