Author Topic: Whatever happened to... app  (Read 4609 times)

nauta

Whatever happened to... app
« on: November 18, 2014, 02:53:39 PM »
So, here's an idea I had for codey types.  Bearing in mind the 1 year rule, it sure would be neat to have an app that allowed you to find an answer to the "whatever happened to X" question.

MOTIVATION

I've often just sat there and thought: Oh, that was a neat PC.  I wondered what happened to them.  They just disappeared.  Did they store?  Did they get assassinated?  Did scrab get them?  I'm pretty sure they were kanking Lord Foofoobutt, but I'm not sure.  Were they?

IMPLEMENTATION

I imagine it would go something like a pulldown list of PCs, with the rough dates played for duplicate names.  Players of the PCs could fill in a kind of "bio" that anyone could query, giving a highlight of their career, and death, probably with sensitive "find out IC" information scrubbed.  It'd also have to be past the statute of whateverness.

It'd probably be opt-in, obviously.

PROBLEMS

There'd probably be problems with the fact that some information would be too sensitive to give out.  Would this make the whole concept unworkable?  I'd be curious to know.  

POSITIVES

As a new player, I remember thinking that while the logs are nice, it sure would be neat to see more information about what goes on in Arm, what people are doing behind the scenes, tucked away.  This would provide neat stories that might inspire us.  Maybe.

EDITED TO ADD:

I guess it'd be sorta like the "tell us about your first PC" thread, except centralized and easier to search.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 01:52:03 AM by nauta »
Your mulish noble mindbender with a secret base warded against apparitions of psychically projected ankheg janitors.

Marauder Moe

Re: Whatever happened to... app
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 03:13:56 PM »
The 1 year rule is not "After a year, you can tell all."

The rule is "Before a year, you can't discuss anything."

Filtering that list would have to be done by staff, and it would be a ton of work.  Even just the coding would still be a lot of work.

Fujikoma

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 04:29:48 PM »
I love this idea, but yeah, like Moe said, it's complicated, and even after a year there may be some PCs still living that were involved. Sadly, not everyone has the maturity to separate OOC from IC in all situations (heck, I try not to slip, but even then I realize I have weaknesses, I just try to avoid my previous PC's enemies long enough to cool off so I can appreciate these PCs from a new and positive angle), and some of the kinds of damning info could end up being used IG.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

FreeRangeVestric

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 01:25:07 AM »
I would absolutely love something along these lines, but policy seems to be that the first rule of Armageddon is that you don't talk about Armageddon.

I totally support the basic idea, though, for what it's worth. It would be difficult to implement correctly while keeping sensitive information curtailed, but I would love to have something I can actually show for the days and days worth of time I put into a character. Even something rather small like this.

Fujikoma

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
The thing is, I think the veil of secrecy, in some ways, drives away more potential players than the air of mystery draws in. Without some things to show them, whether funny, intense, mundane, violent, magickal, profound, profane, that they, as a normal PC without involvement in staff run plots and RPTs, could find themselves immersed in, a number of people will not find themselves driven to play.

Now I have made a -serious- effort to recruit some folks I think, in time, would make excellent RPers. I still haven't gotten anyone to play, really, that I know of (although one neighbor actually DID roll up a PC and spoke to another PC a moment, I don't think they played beyond that, because let's face it, this stuff is INTIMIDATING), but the one thing that gets them considering is to say, "Psssst, don't tell ANYONE, but here's a few of my crazier experiences that are no longer of relevance." and tell them a story. It's how I got started playing, after someone signed into another game, into a clan I ran, and began to rant up the most epic rage-quit ever, complete with quotes from AM of "I Have No Mouth Yet I Must Scream" or whatever it's called...

... and I thought, WOW, anything that can provoke THIS much emotion, deserves my attention. I then informed them "You've made me want to try this game, I'm going to roll up a PC and see what happens." and he's all "No, Shitbag (name of my character on this game)! Don't do it! We'll never see you again!!!", but alas, it was too late. Also, others informed me "You know about the equality of the sexes thing? They take that seriously, you'll be banned in a week!", well, I take it seriously too, I don't know where they got the idea I didn't. In fact, I often find myself wondering if I take it -too- seriously, and I often find myself getting ticked about little things OOC and I have to take a step back and a deep breath, and say, surely, surely staff would do something if they saw it this way.

Nyr

• Red Fangs
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 03:32:22 PM »
I'm not sure why this is in player collaboration, but to answer the original question, this would be quite impractical to the point of impossibility.  The interest in what happened to a PC is simply curiosity.  The information on what happened to the PC is not simply code that you are looking for, it is knowledge.  That knowledge must be written out--by hand--by someone.  In this case, it must be written out by the player, then approved by staff, then sent to you, all to satisfy your curiosity.

There is one thing I noticed here that may be relevant, because they get mentioned in any of the posts here in favor of the general idea.

This:

As a new player, I remember thinking that while the logs are nice, it sure would be neat to see more information about what goes on in Arm, what people are doing behind the scenes, tucked away. This would provide neat stories that might inspire us. Maybe.

We do have original submissions for that purpose.  Logs are nice, but players can write and have written stories based on logs or events.

Then there is this:

The thing is, I think the veil of secrecy, in some ways, drives away more potential players than the air of mystery draws in. Without some things to show them, whether funny, intense, mundane, violent, magickal, profound, profane, that they, as a normal PC without involvement in staff run plots and RPTs, could find themselves immersed in, a number of people will not find themselves driven to play.

This is exactly what original submissions are intended to be!  Logs, stories, poems, etc--things created by players about things they can share.  This serves at least two purposes--they can brag on what they did and inspire other players. 

Then there is also this:

I would love to have something I can actually show for the days and days worth of time I put into a character. Even something rather small like this.

Couldn't you write up a story and submit it to staff to put into Original Submissions?
Paint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Fujikoma

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 03:38:56 PM »
I'm a bigger fan of small stories of little consequence, like the fecked a fruit story, I found that hilarious. I don't always read the logs, because not all of them appeal to me, but that story showed a definite element of character that I feel, at times, is missing, from the AoD, and the Templar. Then again, all I see is the bad, serious side because "reasons", so, maybe if I was playing a different PC I would see more irresponsible behavior. Perhaps one of these days I should roll up another human and be the change I wish to see in the world.

bcw81

• Helper
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 05:42:15 PM »
Are Original Submissions open for new work now?

Serious question, I'm not trying to be a jackass. I have a log I want to send in as soon as I can - it just needs a bit of editing.

A female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Nyr

• Red Fangs
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 07:07:18 PM »
We have said previously that we will take those in the request tool to post on that sub forum. So in a way, yes! Please only submit one at a time. Low priority and all that.
Paint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

nauta

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 11:48:03 AM »
We have said previously that we will take those in the request tool to post on that sub forum. So in a way, yes! Please only submit one at a time. Low priority and all that.

Hi,

I now realize that all that you already have what I wanted in place: the submission of stories thing -- that's all I really want is for people to post more "short brief little bio-like stories" summarizing their lives and deaths via the tool already available.  It doesn't have to be some grand narrative, just something short like:

Amos was a grebber and then he fell in love with a defiler [redacted] who convinced him to cultivate chalton herds for a living, until a scrab killed him two years later.  Also he totally murdered Lord Froofoo [maybe redacted], by accident, on a skellebain binge at Red's.

Sorry for being such a ditz on that. 

Here's a question:

What is the "request tool" you are pointing us to?  I checked the request tool pulldown, and there is a Submission option, but I clicked on that and the response I got was:

"Currently, submissions or ideas for submissions related to the game should be posted on the Submissions forum of the General Discussion Board."

So, I'm probably misunderstanding... but it seems like it is broke (maybe?)

Your mulish noble mindbender with a secret base warded against apparitions of psychically projected ankheg janitors.

Nyr

• Red Fangs
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 01:32:40 PM »

Hi,

I now realize that all that you already have what I wanted in place: the submission of stories thing -- that's all I really want is for people to post more "short brief little bio-like stories" summarizing their lives and deaths via the tool already available.  It doesn't have to be some grand narrative, just something short like:

Amos was a grebber and then he fell in love with a defiler [redacted] who convinced him to cultivate chalton herds for a living, until a scrab killed him two years later.  Also he totally murdered Lord Froofoo [maybe redacted], by accident, on a skellebain binge at Red's.

That's a terrible story.  We'd probably reject that.  We do not have a place for people to submit their PC "Cliff's Notes."  Again, it's an understandable curiosity, but that also doesn't fit the purposes of Original Submissions.  Those are meant to be stories, logs, etc.  Something tangible.  Not "well my PC died to this and that's why you don't see him around anymore."  Stretch those creative writing muscles.  Did your PC die to something incredibly stupid?  Does the log for it not do the event justice?  Write a story about the time your PC died to a jozhal.  Go into all kinds of detail about the thoughts going through his head!  Flesh out the scene more than "a jozhal hits you in the head, doing horrendous damage."  Make it a short story, a few paragraphs about the travails of life and how even the dumbest thing can kill you.

What is the "request tool" you are pointing us to?  I checked the request tool pulldown, and there is a Submission option, but I clicked on that and the response I got was:

"Currently, submissions or ideas for submissions related to the game should be posted on the Submissions forum of the General Discussion Board."

So, I'm probably misunderstanding... but it seems like it is broke (maybe?)

Scroll down to where it says "Original Submission."

nauta

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 01:55:14 PM »

Amos was a grebber and then he fell in love with a defiler [redacted] who convinced him to cultivate chalton herds for a living, until a scrab killed him two years later.  Also he totally murdered Lord Froofoo [maybe redacted], by accident, on a skellebain binge at Red's.

That's a terrible story.  We'd probably reject that.
[/quote]

Hehe, now I really want to submit it!  But, thanks, at least with my PCs, I have several BIO entries I would collate together.

MODIFIED TO ADD: Ok, you can like kill my PC, but I honestly don't see the "Original Submissions" on the scrolldown here: http://armageddon.org/request/new.php

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 02:00:59 PM by nauta »

bcw81

• Helper
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 02:26:34 PM »
Nyr, Submissions was the category for submitting original submissions before, and he's right, it is blocked out for us now. (Saying to post things to the GDB, no less.)

A female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Nyr

• Red Fangs
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 07:51:59 AM »
Submissions is for the submissions forum. Looks like the original submission option is only available for staff. For now you could use a question request.