Author Topic: Text Editor Plugin [MUSHClient]  (Read 1930 times)

Marauder Moe

Text Editor Plugin [MUSHClient]
« on: October 30, 2014, 11:55:57 AM »
So after yesterday's discussion about text editors, I took a look to see how hard it would be to make one for MUSHClient (the client that I use).  It actually doesn't look that daunting.  I could probably slap something simple together in an afternoon or two.  Here's how it would probably work:

1) Plugin detects Armageddon text editor (probably by the ruler text) and launches a MUSHClient "notepad" window.

2) Automatically sends a ".s" and copies any existing text into the notepad.

3) Enables (CTRL-SHIFT-<key>) shortcuts for editing options (.c, .f, .i, .q, .s) that:
3a) Breaks up notepad text by max input length and sends it back to Armageddon one piece at a time
3b) Sends the editing option (.c, .f, .i, .q, .s)
3c) Sends .s and updates the notepad if appropriate

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Would people (players and storytellers alike) find this useful?

RogueGunslinger

Re: Text Editor Plugin [MUSHClient]
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 12:01:12 PM »
I wouldn't use it, but I'm an old dog who can't be arsed with new tricks. The editor is clunky, but it's not so bad as to keep me from using it when I need to. I don't do Bio's more than a couple times a month.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 12:11:17 PM »
You do know we have a web interface for biography entries, right?   :P

Is there a particular barrier to usage that makes this idea uninteresting?  Or any potential feature that would pique your interest?  (Though, the behavior as outlined above is about as far as can be done without sharply ramping up the complexity of the project.)

nauta

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 12:14:02 PM »
I'd be down with it, although it'd be neat if it were independent of any given client, e.g., a website that formats the text right so you can paste it right into whatever client you were using.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Marauder Moe

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 12:20:25 PM »
So the one problem is often you're editing text, not just writing something new.  That adds and extra step of copying stuff into the editor first.  (Not to mention the step of opening a web browser or program to access the utility in the first place.)

The other problem is pasting text into MUD client input windows doesn't always behave uniformly.  It sounds like some clients break input up by newlines.  MUSHClient does not, to my knowledge.  (I'll admit I've never really plumbed the depths of MUDClient options, though.)

James de Monet

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 01:12:34 PM »
a website that formats the text right so you can paste it right into whatever client you were using.

You mean like this?

The web based version is not as good as the downloadable version, which is available with a lot of other tools Arm players have made, here.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

CodeMaster

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 02:30:35 PM »
Sounds like a great idea MM.

I would add that it might be a good idea to update what is in the text editor after the ".f" or ".i" (format or indented-format I think) lines have been sent, so that what is in the MUD and what is in the editor don't end up diverging too much.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"