Where can I get some input on my RPing?

Started by knight, October 27, 2014, 08:28:26 PM

Hey guys, I'm a relatively new Arm player, been at it for a little over three weeks now. I'm having a blast and learning a ton--this is my first MUD so everything's new to me.

My question is this: where can I get some input on my RPing? I'd like to learn about what I'm doing wrong, or could be doing better, and how to improve in order to better other players' (as well as my own) enjoyment of my role playing. I understand that there are account notes which may or may not detail my behavior or misbehavior, but I'm not sure I want to request them, in case I'd like to look at them later when I've been around for longer and have been more involved in the game world.

Who should I talk to as an alternative to requesting my account notes?

Welcome to Arm! I wouldn't know about input, but if you want to see how other people have played out certain things (and perhaps pick up on some stuff) you could always peruse the logs. They seem to detail a lot of stellar play.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

Hi Voular! Thanks. I've had a lot of fun reading the logs--there are some real gems in there--but I feel like many, if not most, of them have very little bearing on the character I'm playing currently. Although I must say, I was surprised to learn how much people "think"/"feel".

The things I have questions about are more about how my character's reacting to other characters/races/professions, cultural stuff that I might have missed, comments on dialogue, etc. There are also a few OOC things I'm wondering about, like how often to submit character reports, whether to submit character reports at all, that sort of thing.

Take no one's word as an authority. But if your character has employees, submit reports often. If you feel your character has had an impact on other characters, or is actually doing 'something' - send character reports. As for the thinks/feels, yeah. It helps you really inhabit a character.

The cultural play is more subjective. It all shifts, sometimes a place can seem like it has x or y attitude depending on what players play there. Your best bet is simply to tone down your own reactions until you can get a feel for what would be appropriate. Even so, you could probably roll a few characters that might not 'click' a hundred percent. Just play, man, play.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

Send character reports no more than once a week, generally. Just collect a list of important(or if you feel it's important) information, like people you meet, how you know them, what they are to you, things you've done, things you've planned to do, who you owe money to... collect that kind of information, and send it in once a week.

Welcome to Armageddon. I would have to agree with Saellyn. Send in character reports. It's a great opportunity to interact with staff. I usually send them in every other week to not overwhelm staff. Hope you have lots of fun.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on October 27, 2014, 10:58:51 PM
Welcome to Armageddon. I would have to agree with Saellyn. Send in character reports. It's a great opportunity to interact with staff. I usually send them in every other week to not overwhelm staff. Hope you have lots of fun.

I try to send them every other week as well and have gotten a lot of good feedback this way.

My first two reports were weekly thouhg, because -so- much happened.

its always good to include any questions or concerns through the character reports, and they'll definitly tell you if something is wrong or not.

Sorry for the belated reply.

So it definitely sounds like weekly or bi-monthly character reports are the way to go--I think this answers my question pretty well. Thanks for all the replies, encouragement, and welcomes! I'll see you guys IG.

If you aren't playing in a leadership role, I would suggest bi-monthly or monthly reports.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I used to send in character reports a bit. They're very helpful and informative if you request some constructive criticism. I've since stopped, I get so into playing my characters that I have little time to write them because what I have to spare goes into my characters. That makes me feel bad, because I know there are things that I -should- be informing staff about, and I'm just like, fuck, I am -so- lazy, I hope the previous character reports have established these character traits as acquired over time.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword