Newbie Here Needing Some Guidance

Started by Lavennin, October 21, 2014, 10:55:50 AM

Hello all,

I am a confused newbie in need of some help. I understand that it's best to find a clan, but how? I don't see that many players around to interact with probably because of my unusual play time. The board has some jobs for crafters/hunters/mercenaries, but my character may not quality (assassin+tailor here, novice level crafting skills good enough?) I also don't know how to navigate through the city as unfortunately he was born in another place.

Is there some kind of job he can find now just to sustain himself?

Also I don't get some of the emote commands, for instance "~". If I want to refer to a tall, amber-haired woman and write
emote looks at ~tall,
it will appear only as "...looks at tall" and not the full short description "...looks at the tall, amber-haired woman". What did I do wrong?

Another thing that seems overwhelming is how other players (when I did find them) could so easily write good long description of their actions. I can't do that, not in English yet. Does it bother you if some players simply provide little to none description of what they are doing?

For the look, just time in "look tall", you can add an emote with () or [].
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Your client is probably using ~ as a special character. You need to disable that, or in the meantime use ~~ when you should use ~, which will probably work in a pinch.

If you are in Allanak, hang around the Gladiator and The Gaj tavern and communicate to those around that you are looking for employment. They will get you to someone who will hire you. For your combo I recommend going with Kadius, or the T'zai Byn. Better yet, you may try getting sponsored into the T'zai Byn, by Kadius. (Check with those folks IG for details.)

If you are in Tuluk, try The Blue Vestric tavern.

Also, I recommend seeing "Help Directions", this command is awesome and will help you a lot.

For your emoting, see "Help Emote", that will help you a lot.

For your example, try this:

look tall (offering a thin smile) - This will make you look at them, and tag on the emote to your "look".

Using ~ is only for using the emote command by its self.

For example:

emote looks over toward ~tall.

Output: Lavennin's character looks over toward the tall amber-eyed woman.

emote jumps up and down atop ~table.

Output: Lavennin's character jumps up and down atop a wooden table.

So on and so forth.  :)

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Thank you all for the replies! I'll try asking around. Sorry it was a bad example in my post--I was talking about "~" not functioning properly. It's probably my client...

Hmm..still can't find any players. Maybe I need to try at a different time?

October 21, 2014, 11:21:40 AM #6 Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 11:36:34 AM by Harmless
Hello,

I recommend going to the armageddon website and opening up helper chat if someone is available. That way you can discuss openly where your character is.

edited to add: right now, no helpers seem to be on, unfortunately.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Thanks, and I have some other questions.
I can't get directions of the place as it tells me that I'm not a resident. How to become a resident? Getting a tattoo?
Also when someone send me a psionic message, I have no idea how to reply--I always fail to reach their minds.

DIRECTIONS only works if you are in the city where your character was born. It's the only city they know by heart. I don't think becoming a resident will give use of the command, since they still didn't grow up there with an innate knowledge of that city. Don't worry! there is:

>help map allanak
>help map tuluk

as two commands to help you.

Using the Way:

if the person you want to talk to has a description like this:

the blonde, heavily-muscled man

then you need to get rid of the commas, hyphens, and so on when using the CONTACT command first before sending them a message. Example:

>contact blonde heavily muscled man

Then, once you succeed (it may take a few tries), send a message with the PSI command:

>psi Hello! Sorry about the delay.

Keep an eye on your STUN points (st), if they drop to 0, you pass out for a LONG time! So, before that happens, break psionic contact and rest to recover:

>cease
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quoteemote looks at ~tall,
it will appear only as "...looks at tall" and not the full short description "...looks at the tall, amber-haired woman". What did I do wrong?

No, that worked right. You were typing the emote, that your pc is looking at the tall guy.

As Barsook said, type the comand l tall to look.

Evenings in the game are better to find someone at the bars, as most characters don't sit and drink all day.
If you can contact through the way, any of those listed on the boards, they may be able to help you. (Possilbly grudgingly or with condescension   towards your character)

No, it didn't work right. He's saying the ~ is not going through, which is a client-side issue. For example, if there was a tall, muscular man in the room and he typed:

emote barrels right into ~tall

it would return

The bright-eyed, bushy-tailed newbie barrels right into tall.

rather than

The bright-eyed, bushy-tailed newbie barrels right into the tall, muscular man.

Sorry, wasn't reading. :-[

Oh, and USA weekends are a better time to catch players during their day time too.

Quote from: solera on October 21, 2014, 04:00:44 PM
Sorry, wasn't reading. :-[

Oh, and USA weekends are a better time to catch players during their day time too.

Yes. Chinese weekends, on the other hand, are weird and communist and all over the place.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

It does sound like your client might be using ~ for some other function if it's not going through. Also, I would caution against using the keyword tall when emoting because there could be several PCs and NPCs with the keyword tall in any given room at any given time. If you must use that for the keyword do a look to make sure there aren't other's that have tall first.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

First of all, welcome!

I was in your position and it is relatively difficult to start. Something that will help you a lot is the use of the keyword command. You can use that to find appropiate keywords to use in an emote, when a specific 'keyword' is in place.

If I was asked to give you the best tip, I would say:

1. Revise the WIKI at the homepage (argmageddon.org, using the search tool) as much as you can. It contains almost every single command & IC information you will need to get started (while, of course, most of the IC information is only discoverable IG). You might want to get into the lore as soon as possible.
2. Start with a character that can be used to really learn a lot about the game lore. Always ask a lot of questions, specially whenever you see a conversation about stuff you don't even understand a damn about (usually in such a lore-rich world like Zalanthas, some conversations can seem to be total gibberish; there's usually quite some cool IC storylines behind them).
3. Either the Gaj (in allanak) or Blue Vestric (in tuluk) is the place where every single newbie should live at. I find that these places are the places where you can find people eager to help you, or to guide you to people that can, or other newbies which you can agroup if your timezone is that bad.
4. Never give up. This is one of the best MUDs around and, if you do enjoy roleplaying, this will be one of the best places for you to enjoy it at.

Quote from: Lavennin on October 21, 2014, 10:55:50 AM
Is there some kind of job he can find now just to sustain himself?

Given the timing of your posts, I assume that you're playing mornings server time.  Unfortunately, that's a lower population time and you may not find it as easy to join a clan as some do.  I'd recommend hanging out in bars until you find someone to latch on to, and then latch on to them if it is at all IC for you to do so.  It's easier to survive in a group, even if not in a formal clan.

In the meanwhile, there are all sorts of ways to support yourself.  You could try the automated gathering crafts to make a few coin (dung gathering, salt grebbing, clay digging, spice sifting, etc, depending on your starting location).  You could wander around the city or wilderness, trying to find things to sell.  You can dig things up using the 'forage' command and try to sell them.  Figuring out what works as a way to keep from starving or dehydrating to death is one of those 'welcome to Armageddon' things.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Jobs you can do to sustain yourself until finding a PC on PC job: Clay digging. Cotton picking. Lumberjacking. Shit shoveling. Salt foraging.  Obsidian mining. Spice sifting.

Check it out: http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Jobs

I had a client where I had to disable command parsing for the '~' to work.  Check for that.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

This sounds like an issue I had way back in the day when I used ZMUD. I had to disable command parsing for ~, yes.

Character doesn't really lie in the flowery descriptions of how you perform actions. It's nice sometimes, sure, to be specific, but it's much more important to build your character's personality and mannerisms and how they'd react to certain situations.