"Log viewer" web app

Started by CodeMaster, October 16, 2014, 04:51:18 PM

I was wondering what the general interest would be for developing  a "log viewer" web app, useful for viewing play logs in a style that actually resembles the game.  It might also be useful for showcasing certain elements of gameplay to new players.

It would feature basic highlighting, the ability to pause/speedup/slowdown the scroll.  It would also allow for you to annotate the logs to, e.g., insert images, control the speed of the playback at various points, etc...

I threw this together as an example of what I mean (hit 'run example').  Tested it quickly in forefox and chrome:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1626071/site/logprint.html

Let me know if this is something you think would be cool to see developed further - it's a pretty easy project.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

October 16, 2014, 07:44:56 PM #1 Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 08:27:32 PM by Harmless
it's going very fast, and the slower button doesn't seem to slow it down.. if it went slower it'd probably be pretty cool.

edit: hm. that was when I ran it in my old outdated firefox (v33) browser, but then I switched to chrome and it worked great.

edited again: Wait, there is a problem with the speed even in chrome. It seems to work well with the example but when I load my own logs they blaze through too fast to read. Slower button doesn't work.

I also recommend adding a "start from beginning" button so I don't need to reload it each time I want to start over.

Any idea why I can't get it to slow down? i am loading text files. The way the example runs is really cool!
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I love it.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on October 16, 2014, 10:23:52 PM
I love it.

But I probably won't use it because I like to speed-read things like this first.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on October 16, 2014, 10:30:28 PM
I love it.

But I probably won't use it because I like to speed-read things like this first.
Or read things while at work, and therefor have to read bit by bit.

"] yer a wizard, oashi"

I love it.

so it works for you? no problems? What browser are you using and how are your logs formatted?
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on October 17, 2014, 12:56:21 AM
I love it.

so it works for you? no problems? What browser are you using and how are your logs formatted?
Chrome, and I didn't test my own logs on it - just the sample one.

"] yer a wizard, oashi"