Author Topic: Clay Objects!  (Read 4613 times)

Xalle

• Legend
Clay Objects!
« on: October 11, 2014, 10:02:52 AM »
I'm accepting submissions for objects made out of clay for a street vendor in Tuluk, if you're interested in contributing. They can be utilitarian or decorative, and do as many as you like!

If you want to submit a crafting recipe with it for the BRAND NEW SUBGUILDS TO USE, feel free and please use  'a handful of greasy red clay ' for the main ingredient(s).  

Please submit these as a Tuluki Character Report and put "ATTN XALLE - CLAY PROJECT" as the title. Submitting multiple objects and recipes in one request is fine too.

Thanks for your help!  Any questions, feel free to ask here.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 06:02:28 PM by Xalle »

Lizzie

Re: Clay Objects!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 10:29:18 AM »

Please submit these as a Tuluki Character Report and put "ATTN XALLE - CLAY PROJECT" as the title. Submitting multiple tattoos in one request is fine too.

Repurposed form letter?
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 10:37:35 AM »
I wondered the same. Heh heh.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

nauta

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 11:30:42 AM »
We can now have them require kilns/ovens to bake them in!

Oh, neat, and sorry to derail, but does this mean that our cooking recipes can/will in the future also distinguish between items that need just any old fire and those that need an oven?

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Xalle

• Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 01:04:16 PM »
Oh damn, I'm the most inept elf ever! Yes, no tattoos please, only clay.

Nope, Nauta. They'll all be used for the 'fire' element. But please make a thread if you want to discuss the fire/cooking/oven aspect further. Here, it's all about the clay.

Xalle

• Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 06:06:06 PM »
Edited the original post to reflect that clay working is now a skill! Recipes for your objects are now even more appreciated.

KankWhisperer

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 07:01:01 PM »
By Tuluki characater report you mean ..?

Xalle

• Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 08:09:45 AM »
A report to any of the Tuluk clans. Bards, Utep Sun Clan etc.

Taven

• Helper
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 12:23:55 PM »
Some things are obviously the clay working skill. Pots, statues, decorations made out of clay. But what about things like clay jewelry? Would that be under jewelry making, or would it be under clay working? I would assume the former, because of how most skills work (see stonecrafting vs making weapons with stones), but I thought I'd ask.

And do you want only clay crafts for clay working or do you want crafts for other things that may include clay? I'd imagine clay crafts for the new skills is the main focus (because we probably need a lot of those!), but it might be fun to toss clay into other skills as well (unless it's really going to be anything clay must be clay working).

Thanks for the time!  :)
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Xalle

• Legend
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 02:22:15 PM »
For now let's not muddy the waters (ahahaha), and keep clay jewelry under the jewelry skill, and keep these submissions for clay work only please! Feel free to put clay in your MCs or if anyone else puts out a different call for things.

As a general rule of thumb, imagine a clay/pottery seller like that pictured above in RSC, and go with things you would probably find there.

Taven

• Helper
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 01:23:56 AM »
I have a few more questions!

1. Based on the clay helpfile it seems like Armageddon is going to utilize dye for glaze, rather then have separate glaze items. Is that true? Because I'm definitely willing to write up glaze items if you want them, but if not, I'll know to use dye for recipes with glazing.
2. Some application of skills require certain tools (see: cotton bolls). Are there any plans to make wheel-based pottery versus hand-crafted pottery a thing? IE, you'd NEED a pottery wheel for some crafts?
3. Even if the above is a "no", do you need any clay tools written up? This could be pottery wheels, various tools to cut and score clay, and so on.
4. Can you let us know if there are any standard basic clay lumps besides the handfuls? Based on the clay helpfile, it seems like bricks are a thing. This will make it easier to come up with fun crafts, as opposed to just using a lot of handfuls of stuff.

The good news is that after this, I think my interrogation of you is complete, and I can actually write some stuff up.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Xalle

• Legend
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 11:41:32 AM »
1 and 2 - you don't need to worry about that for now! This links to ongoing discussions and plans staff side, and I can tweak your recipes to fit when it comes to it.

3 - Feel free to write up some clay tools, sure. Appreciated!

4 - Yes, malleable clay bricks are indeed a thing to use in recipes now.

Thanks for bearing with me on here as this skill gets fleshed out. When I first wrote the original post the clay working skill didn't yet exist, and now it's linking into other neat things that are in the pipeline.

Norcal

• Helper
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 12:11:12 PM »
I have a question about types of clay.  At this point it is only red clay? No such thing as porcelain clay?  So if we want white or porcelain colored items it is only with dye?
I voted and staff let my c-elf ride skimmers and pilot a wagon.

Xalle

• Legend
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 08:34:33 AM »
For now, only red. No fancy porcelain, nope.   ;) Feel free to include colours indicated by dye and/or glazes, and different patterns.

Xalle

• Legend
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 10:07:02 AM »
A big thank you to everyone that sent things in!

In the interest of my sanity, and the fact I'd quite like to do something other than clay for the rest of my life, I'm closing this call for now! Thanks again.  :D