Death waits for me outside

Started by BeyondCreation, September 03, 2014, 09:44:14 PM

I've been trying to get to know Arm here and there over time but ive gotten back into it recently and never lasted a week with one character because I chose to explore. Should I just not leave the city? But how do I get trained in combat if everything can kill me no problem?

Join clans. The T'Zai Byn Mercenary company is a good start for first timers, but the Greater Merchant Houses also hire hunters and guards. You'll get a safe introduction to the combat code, some survival tips, and allies to watch your back while you're out on the sands.

Welcome to Armageddon!

It depends on where you start, and which gate you leave by. Joining a clan is always an option because it helps people find an in-game mentor to show them the ropes, tell them what they should and shouldn't do, and explains the finer points of flossing a mekillots teeth.

Exploration is supreme in Arm, but you're right, a lot of baddies can kill you. Find someone, clanned or not, that seems to know about hunting, and ask them. Pay them for their knowledge, buy them a drink or a whore at the local Kuraci Pleasure Center. Let them know you value their opinion, then absorb the knowledge. It will NOT be a quick 2-3 week process and suddenly you're trained enough to explore, but it'll give you a solid base.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

September 04, 2014, 12:46:06 AM #3 Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:49:03 AM by FantasyWriter
I assume you are not wanting to join a clan and train with others in an "indoor" setting?
That is perfectly fine, but it can be a bit difficulty until you get a good lay of the land.

One suggestion. Try to find another independent hunter/explorer to train under.
You can find these in either of the two cities, or the two smaller starting locals (Red Storm/Luir's).
You will likely have better luck with the cities in this case. Hang around a bar, ask around.
I'm sure someone will be willing to take you on after a patient wait.

If you want to play it out on your own....
Allanak or Tuluk for your base of operations.
-Red Storm has giant bugs that can show you the mantis head in two or three bites.
-Luir's has gith raiders and tracking raptors.
There are also many other factors that lead to new players being steered toward the cities.

Take your time. Going more than ten rooms from either city will must likely end your character until you get a good idea of the wild life.
Check the helpfiles on all the beasts and plants that you encounter.
Stay close to the roads. This won't keep you alive, but it will help you keep from getting lost or stuck outside the gates for a lengthy period.
Greb (what we call the act of foraging for a living).
Within just a few rooms of either city or village, you can make a decent living doing this.

Protips for your first 3-5 days of indie play:
Buy a mount when you start the game, or soon after with your grebbing money.
Never go farther from the city than your PC can RUN back (this uses more stamina than walking).
Never let your stamina get lower than 50%. That number should go up the farther you are from "home."
Never get below 2/3 of your health without fleeing.
As mentioned in a recent thread, you don't have to "kill" for XP here, you learn from failure.
-You miss an attack, and you just had a change to raise one of your offense skills.
-You get hit, you just had a change to raise one of your defense skills.
Armageddon is structured in a way that you do not benefit from "spamming" skills (RP comes first).
-Fighting for IC hours on end does not help you become better at combat.
-Using the same skills over and over again without taking the time to RP them out does not help you advance them faster.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

And if you go outside the cities, and something is posed to the room that you don't immediately understand, do what I do..  think something like 'what the fek?' and run.  :)  I have no problem imagining some great sandworm ala Dune coming up to swallow me whole.. so I don't wait to see what it was.  I figure I can't let "once bitten, twice shy" be my method of exploration - the first bite might take my head off. :)

Quote from: icewindsong on September 04, 2014, 03:00:44 AM
And if you go outside the cities, and something is posed to the room that you don't immediately understand, do what I do..  think something like 'what the fek?' and run.  :)  I have no problem imagining some great sandworm ala Dune coming up to swallow me whole.. so I don't wait to see what it was.  I figure I can't let "once bitten, twice shy" be my method of exploration - the first bite might take my head off. :)

We have those, too. ;)

QuoteSalt Worm
(Animal Life)
These great behemoths are known to reside in the unlikely locale of the Salt Flats, causing rumbling tremors underfoot as their great mass burrows in and out of the unforgiving ground. What they survive upon is unknown, though a few theorize they may live off of the constituents of the soil itself, such as it is. They are presumed to be the primary natural food of the truly gargantuan mekillots which roam similar areas.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: icewindsong on September 04, 2014, 03:00:44 AM

I think almost everyone who started playing Armageddon had this mentality. In a few years, you will seek out the salt worm. I mean to say -- A disconnect begins to form between you the player, and you the PC, especially after you lose some characters you truly loved. I think you can enjoy the game on a deeper level when you become the omniscient narrator to your PC's tale, in a world full of omniscient narrators.

In this way, you can do what is realistic for your PC, rather than what meta-makes sense to you as a player. Sure -- We as players may know that the Salt Sea is somewhat dangerous and has Mekillots and other nasties roaming its depths. But does our PC know that? Maybe they're Amos the Escaped Mul, and they think those tales are myths, and they need to travel through the salt flats to evade their potential capture. Perhaps it is Malik the Foolhardy Explorer, and while he knows the risks, he just can't resist seeing the other side of the Sea for himself.

Putting yourself in your character's shoes when it comes to potentially stupid mistakes is part of what makes this game great -- Making those mistakes on purpose because it is what your PC would do is what makes this game par excellence.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on September 04, 2014, 11:29:47 AM
Putting yourself in your character's shoes when it comes to potentially stupid mistakes is part of what makes this game great -- Making those mistakes on purpose because it is what your PC would do is what makes this game par excellence.

I agree, but I also think that being very, very afraid of stuff is also totally IC for many PCs. I think most of my PCs have struggled with a lot of fear about Zalanthan phenomena, both outside the walls and within.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

September 04, 2014, 11:45:05 AM #8 Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:27:37 PM by Harmless
if you are hoping to be successful in combat, knowing what kinds of characters do that helps. The most common choice is a warrior near their prime age; humans are strongest in their mid twenties. Humans and dwarves are stronger and tougher than other races. Having some direction sense helps tremendously when in sandstorms. There are lots of ways to be successful though and training is the difference between life and death for all players.

I hope you find a mentor in game to help you learn these basics ICly but really, everything I say here is described in the documentation. Good luck and welcome.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

From an in-character, Average Amos standpoint, people who wander out into the desert on their lonesome are insane people who will CERTAINLY die horrifying, gruesome deaths that end in the belly of a predator.

From a coded standpoint, it's totally doable if you have a certain intimate knowledge of the combat code, the game layout, etc etc. But that comes with time and experience. So yeah, I think "death waits for me outside" is the perfect attitude for 99% of all city-dwellers, and there's no reason your guy shouldn't feel that way.

Good advice already posted about joining a clan for experience.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 04, 2014, 11:39:52 AM
Quote from: Reiloth on September 04, 2014, 11:29:47 AM

I agree, but I also think that being very, very afraid of stuff is also totally IC for many PCs. I think most of my PCs have struggled with a lot of fear about Zalanthan phenomena, both outside the walls and within.

Totally! I just noticed that icewindsong's tone/choice of words implied that perhaps they as the player were making decisions based on their OOC inclinations. It's much more fun to have your PC be a coward IG also, rather than spam-flee at the first sign of trouble without the RP behind it.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Can't top any of this advice, but I wanted to say that the line "Death waits for me outside" just evokes the newbie experience for me so hard.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on September 04, 2014, 12:44:26 PM
Can't top any of this advice, but I wanted to say that the line "Death waits for me outside" just evokes the newbie experience for me so hard.

+1!

I also spent the first...at least 6 months playing believing quite fervently that my PCs could die at any moment. Well, actually, I still believe that. Which is probably why I love this game.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 04, 2014, 12:48:01 PM
Well, actually, I still believe that. Which is probably why I love this game.

To back up what Gimf said... You are never safe in this game. It doesn't matter if you are out in the wilderness or a nobled locked up in his room with ten PC guards around you.
One of the ways that this game is balances is that even if you are the most powerful/maxxed sorcerer, warrior, ranger, assassin, elementalist, there is ALWAYS at least one or two ways to get you.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I've been playing this game for like a decade.  I still regularly die to stuff right outside the gates when I don't pay attention, so that's a really really good creedo for playing this game, especially as a newbie.

I may also be really bad at surviving in this game.

In some characters my death was because of PC stupidity due to eagerness and overconfidence. I understand the RP of the game in it's entirety because that's the reason I started getting interested in Arm over other RP muds which are actually really crappy in roleplay, every one of them. I love Afm already, I knew about the misses even raise my combat skills but it was just like "How do I even begin training combat when I'll die at the end of battle anyway. I didn't know you could flee, I just tried to leave in a direction and it told me I couldn't while I was fighting.

Quote from: Reiloth on September 04, 2014, 12:29:00 PM
Totally! I just noticed that icewindsong's tone/choice of words implied that perhaps they as the player were making decisions based on their OOC inclinations. It's much more fun to have your PC be a coward IG also, rather than spam-flee at the first sign of trouble without the RP behind it.

Nah..  my character knows its dumb to poke her nose out the gate, but she's too curious to resist doing it now and then anyway.   She feels like she's being brave, and smart to stay within sight of the city walls, and then when she hears so much as a cricket chirp and she rabbits for the gate, she feels very wise and prudent.  Its good to have a double standard, and be self-delusional about one's cowardice.

I'm not so sure about death inside the walls though.  The couple of times I had the intuition I was about to be attacked by another player, I just ran and did thinks after I got to somewhere else.  I think it would be better to do thinks and hemotes and more, but it would take several minutes in RL to type out all the rp that would go into 5 seconds of IC time, and I could easily be dead by then if the other person invokes coded combat, as I had the feeling they were about to do.  I'm not sure what the answer is there, though I'm sure it'll be better when I'm practiced enough to emote things more quickly.

September 05, 2014, 06:08:51 PM #17 Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 11:15:27 AM by valeria
I've been playing how many years and I still feel the way that this thread is titled.  On the last character where I was like, this character can probably make it outside... BAM.  Instaganked by something terrible.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on September 04, 2014, 01:25:29 PM
Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 04, 2014, 12:48:01 PM
Well, actually, I still believe that. Which is probably why I love this game.

To back up what Gimf said... You are never safe in this game. It doesn't matter if you are out in the wilderness or a nobled locked up in his room with ten PC guards around you.
One of the ways that this game is balances is that even if you are the most powerful/maxxed sorcerer, warrior, ranger, assassin, elementalist, there is ALWAYS at least one or two ways to get you.

Pretty much this though.  My characters may feel safer inside the walls, but  ::)
[/quote]
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Lesson? Don't be a turd. Also, don't play around turds. Don't play around places where they give turds guns and explosives. In other words, play in the rinth or Storm, the wilderness, or some place nobody goes, ever, and invite your friends. Of course, this usually doesn't work, but it's safer than waiting around for some turd to walk into a highly trafficked area and decide it's about time they abused their guns and explosives privileges and targets you. The scrab is the least of your worries, despite the fact it pinched your head off in three hits. Go hug a scrab today.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

I don't know what Fujikoma is talking about. Please don't listen to Fujikoma. We don't have low-quality players running around abusing newbies because we decided that giving them a bunch of privileges and power was a good idea.

Quote from: Fujikoma on September 05, 2014, 07:58:50 PM
Lesson? Don't be a turd. Also, don't play around turds. Don't play around places where they give turds guns and explosives. In other words, play in the rinth or Storm, the wilderness, or some place nobody goes, ever, and invite your friends. Of course, this usually doesn't work, but it's safer than waiting around for some turd to walk into a highly trafficked area and decide it's about time they abused their guns and explosives privileges and targets you. The scrab is the least of your worries, despite the fact it pinched your head off in three hits. Go hug a scrab today.

what? better not be a turd. I sell turds for 2 sid each.

Outside is ridiculously dangerous, but it does not seem as bad with an awesome group or leader to show the ropes. Then the game and rp just sucks you in...

Didn't read all the responses. But in general I can tell you that the less you focus on just killing stuff or just exploring and more on actually inhabiting a character's life the more fun you will have. Roleplay being bored by shovelling dung, maybe that'll drive you to find mercenary work, and that'll drive you into companionship with some bad ass rider and maybe they can show you how to do x and y and then maybe you can find someone you can teach later on and then maybe die to z. So on.

Arm is filled with options to live out various fantasy lives - you just have to find the joy in not being a bad ass know it all out the gate. After a few character's you'll get the hang of it and you'll progressively start to live longer and longer.

Have fun!
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

Quote from: Voular on September 06, 2014, 12:20:35 AM
Didn't read all the responses. But in general I can tell you that the less you focus on just killing stuff or just exploring and more on actually inhabiting a character's life the more fun you will have. Roleplay being bored by shovelling dung, maybe that'll drive you to find mercenary work, and that'll drive you into companionship with some bad ass rider and maybe they can show you how to do x and y and then maybe you can find someone you can teach later on and then maybe die to z. So on.

Arm is filled with options to live out various fantasy lives - you just have to find the joy in not being a bad ass know it all out the gate. After a few character's you'll get the hang of it and you'll progressively start to live longer and longer.

Have fun!

Voular is right.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: icewindsong on September 05, 2014, 06:02:19 PM
Quote from: Reiloth on September 04, 2014, 12:29:00 PM

Nah..  my character knows its dumb to poke her nose out the gate, but she's too curious to resist doing it now and then anyway.   She feels like she's being brave, and smart to stay within sight of the city walls, and then when she hears so much as a cricket chirp and she rabbits for the gate, she feels very wise and prudent.  Its good to have a double standard, and be self-delusional about one's cowardice.

I'm not so sure about death inside the walls though.  The couple of times I had the intuition I was about to be attacked by another player, I just ran and did thinks after I got to somewhere else.  I think it would be better to do thinks and hemotes and more, but it would take several minutes in RL to type out all the rp that would go into 5 seconds of IC time, and I could easily be dead by then if the other person invokes coded combat, as I had the feeling they were about to do.  I'm not sure what the answer is there, though I'm sure it'll be better when I'm practiced enough to emote things more quickly.

Hmm. I am trying to think of how to word this properly, because it seems that my point isn't truly getting across.

There should be a separation between what you the Player would want for your character, and what your character knows/wants/desires/has goals for themselves.

In a situation like you described above:

QuoteThe couple of times I had the intuition I was about to be attacked by another player, I just ran and did thinks after I got to somewhere else.

To me, this sounds like you the player are meta-pushing your PC to run elsewhere (which is a natural instinct for most people who play the game). I've found that, over time, reacting to situations like that as my PC (rather than myself) has lead to interesting, different, often times more realistic outcomes. Some of those outcomes lead to the death of my PC, while other ones lead to absurdly different outcomes. I'll recommend a log I submitted a little while ago as an example.

http://armageddon.org/original/search/reiloth

It's the first one, Mister Gerakis and Mister Mosali. Mosali, the PC I was playing at the time, was a pretty badass assassin, who had trained with some of the best of the best Warriors of that era, and responsible for a few assassinations of little note. Anyways -- She was having this private meeting with a gigantic, presumed raider Half Giant, where she totally could have been killed and she didn't really think about it that way -- She didn't think the giant had the balls, or was even stupid enough to try anything.

I as the Player full on knew that Giants can subdue you, and then engage in combat, which used to lead to almost infant fatalities. I think this may have been changed since this time, but it was definitely the case for a while. So OOCly, I knew I was potentially walking into a death trap. But ICly, my PC was too stubborn, prideful, and also naive and stupid to think she was in any danger.

~Jack Vance~

From my perspective, don't worry too much about the quality of your RP in dangerous situations when you're still really new. Roleplaying is a skill that everyone can fine tune over years. Separating ooc from ic motivations is a challenge at times for everyone but becomes less of an issue as you play more and more. The high tension scenes are the most difficult to stay in character... As recently as a year ago my PC was injured badly in a mini RPT but I was so caught up in the combat I forgot to roleplay my wounds appropriately until a staff member sent me a message reminding me to do it.

It's a game as well as an experience and you'll get better at all aspects of it with time.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Reiloth on September 06, 2014, 04:34:05 AM
I as the Player full on knew that Giants can subdue you, and then engage in combat, which used to lead to almost infant fatalities. I think this may have been changed since this time, but it was definitely the case for a while. So OOCly, I knew I was potentially walking into a death trap. But ICly, my PC was too stubborn, prideful, and also naive and stupid to think she was in any danger.

And this is why Zalanthan life expectancy is so low. It's the half-giants going around squeezing babies to death. TO DEATH. (Note: Not really a problem if they're doing it mostly to half-elves or elves.)

Just to actually contribute a little, I pretty much agree with Reiloth's point. I very frequently put my PC into situations where, yes, they could be quickly and easily killed by another PC, but my PC doesn't think that's going to happen. So it's IC to go along with whatever the scene is. In general, I have found the playerbase to be pretty trustworthy in this regard.

When my PCs have died, it's either been because reasons or to critters. I'm certain none of my PCs have died just because some other player had an OOC desire to PK.

I'm certain none of my PCs have died just because some other player had an OOC desire to PK.
[/quote]

What about an IC desire to kill?  Confronted with an easy target, I imagine there's many characters that its all IC for them to grin and hack you to pieces for their own profit, training and/or reputation.  And on my side of it, not even having armoring nor a weapon let alone equipped one or learned to use it...  I think its completely IC to run from a dangerous-appearing situation, if I don't (ICly) think I can simply walk away from it safely.  I can't really say more without relating events.  All I was trying to say was I think I could improve on posing a reaction before or as I run away.  My choice of reaction was quite appropriate and IC.

Quote from: icewindsong on September 08, 2014, 01:46:37 AM
What about an IC desire to kill?  Confronted with an easy target, I imagine there's many characters that its all IC for them to grin and hack you to pieces for their own profit, training and/or reputation.  And on my side of it, not even having armoring nor a weapon let alone equipped one or learned to use it...  I think its completely IC to run from a dangerous-appearing situation, if I don't (ICly) think I can simply walk away from it safely.  I can't really say more without relating events.  All I was trying to say was I think I could improve on posing a reaction before or as I run away.  My choice of reaction was quite appropriate and IC.

Well, I get that, and I understand your feeling. I think after a while you will come to OOCly trust the playerbase somewhat, and then you will find that your fears calm down some. I feel pretty certain that there are not that many PCs who are interested in trying to kill every "easy target" they see. Yes, it is Zalanthas, and it's a very harsh world, but newbie boots aren't worth all that much compared to the stuff most PCs spend their time doing.

Yeah...This isn't a PVP server on an MMO. There are consequences for murder, depending on where you are and who you are. While it happens every day, it is under the right circumstances.

Most PC's would know that traveling outside of the gates of any city will mean your chances for dying rise exponentially. Depending on who you are, and where you are in that city, those chances might be just as high.

There aren't many 'grief-ers' around here. Some, but not many.

~Jack Vance~

I don't think anyone is saying that running away from something/someone scary isn't an appropriate IC action if it's what your character would do. If you happen to be facing another player, though, it makes a more interesting scene if you emote fleeing in terror first, or cry out for help, or interact in some way, rather than just "run; s; e; e; e; e; e; e; e; e; e; e;" all the way back to safety.

In the case of mean beasties like mekillots and bahamets, of course, just GTFO as quick as you can. NPCs are twinks and don't emote. :(
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

such twinks

~Jack Vance~

If you really want to explore the wilderness aspect of the game and not die, you might consider playing a warrior rather than one of the other guilds.  Warriors can, out of the box, at least deal with some of the nasties you'll encounter.  Other guilds, not much.  Particularly avoid going outside if you're playing say, a city elf pickpocket or assassin.  ;-)

Quote from: jcortrig on September 09, 2014, 04:27:55 AM
If you really want to explore the wilderness aspect of the game and not die, you might consider playing a warrior rather than one of the other guilds.  Warriors can, out of the box, at least deal with some of the nasties you'll encounter.  Other guilds, not much.  Particularly avoid going outside if you're playing say, a city elf pickpocket or assassin.  ;-)

Rangers can rock some wildlife too.

Quote from: Rahnevyn on September 08, 2014, 01:04:47 PM
... rather than just "run; s; e; e; e; e; e; e; e; e; e; e;" all the way back to safety.

run is a command?  Okay...  I guess I really just walked away from danger..   Good to learn this now before I have a bahamet or other big nasty on me.  :)

Hi new player...

I don't think anyone is saying that running away from something/someone scary isn't an appropriate IC action if it's what your character would do. If you happen to be facing another player, though, it makes a more interesting scene if you emote fleeing in terror first, or cry out for help, or interact in some way, rather than just "run; s; e; e; e; e; e; e; e; e; e; e;" all the way back to safety.

Couple random bits of advice in this same vein:

1. One way you can get away with being a not-so-fast typist (or familiar with the game) is to rely on your client or aliases.  Here's an easy one:

alias flee flee (with a growing expression of fear and panic)

Every time you flee, even in an attempt to escape subdue, it will contain this detail.  You don't lose any functionality, and now you have an emote cocked and ready to go - prepping you for an RPT or a trip through raider-infested sands or whatever.  I'd also encourage you to change the alias after it's been used once or twice to avoid being repetitious (once you're out of danger).

2. If you only somewhat suspect a player of plotting your demise, don't forget about the 'watch' command.  This could buy you some time if you're lucky.

3. Avoid alleys and long strolls by yourself at night - just as you might in real life in an unfamiliar and dangerous city.

In the case of mean beasties like mekillots and bahamets, of course, just GTFO as quick as you can. NPCs are twinks and don't emote. :(

Also, n.b., not all NPCs are as stupid as you might think.  Some will try to rendezvous with you even once you feel you're safe... :(
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Run is a status, so if you type 'run', you will speed up to a fast run. Don't make the mistake of 'run south'. It's just a state. So Run sets you to run, walk to walk, sneak to sneak (if you can).

~Jack Vance~

Fleeing also makes you run, so make sure you hit "walk" once you're safe, or else you're going to sprint all your stamina away and suddenly find yourself without any moves left.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

My characters often find themselves in dangerous situations.  They are worried they will die but it's their duty or they can't appear weak. It's fine to be afraid unless dwarf. In that case enter spider nest to see if spiders can detect hidden, drop light so people can see what is in there, escape and calmy report your findings.

Quote from: icewindsong on September 09, 2014, 04:39:21 AM
... rather than just "run; s; e; e; e; e; e; e; e; e; e; e;" all the way back to safety.

run is a command?  Okay...  I guess I really just walked away from danger..   Good to learn this now before I have a bahamet or other big nasty on me.  :)

If you're on foot in bahamet territory I think running is the least of your concerns, one of the highest likely being "why did my mount abandon me" followed by "what am I doing out here!?"

:D

Staying inside really is no safer than going outside to an extent, because death waits for you inside too.

up up down down west east west east space return