The Most Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy

Started by FantasyWriter, September 01, 2014, 01:22:16 PM

September 01, 2014, 01:22:16 PM Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 01:24:44 PM by FantasyWriter
It is the place where the worst of the dregs other societies gather.
It is the the place that those who have lost their way, their homes, their lives find a small measure of refuge.
It is the home of Rogue magick users, raiders, and even those mad enough to explore the Sea of Eternal Dust.
It is the living of many a broken-hearted crafter, poor spice-hunters hoping for their next payday or a better high.
It is the last, best hope to escape the powers of the Black and White pit without facing total exile alone in the sand.
It is Red Storm Village.
It is Armageddon.

What do you love about Red Storm?
Are you tired of the lack of free will in the north? The heavy-handed magick and death wielding Templars of the south?
Do you crave violence and adventure but hate the restraint of training schedules?
Do you like to create, but despise serving the clothing needs of the whinny, needy, and whimsy nobility?
Do you love the thrill of knowing both riches and death can be found just outside the gates?
Are you ready to flee the "comfort" and "protection" of the Pits in exchange for life in true hard, desert world.
Turn off easy mode.  Be turned on by Armageddon as it should be.

[/my yearly RSV promo]

When there is an active PC base, there is no place I would rather be.
What do you like about RSV? What do you not like about RSV?
What can players and player-characters do to make it better?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Two ideas I had:

1. I love RSV, but when it is dead it is dead, and you are stuck there the whole night behind the gates.  I always thought it'd be nice if the "storm" prevented people from getting in, but would "lift" south of the city so you could still go out and greb/spice/hunt or whatever, or do anything other than idle.

2. I like how hard RSV is, with drovbeetles and nasty things everywhere and the storms.  But there should be some non-hard things, especially on the sea.  I always thought it would be neat to introduce "simply" silt sea fishing spots.  Might open up a piracy thing, but without like massive NPCs that'll gank you dead, at least in bits of the sea.

3. More apartments!  They are always full.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on September 01, 2014, 02:18:40 PM
Two ideas I had:

1. I love RSV, but when it is dead it is dead, and you are stuck there the whole night behind the gates.  I always thought it'd be nice if the "storm" prevented people from getting in, but would "lift" south of the city so you could still go out and greb/spice/hunt or whatever, or do anything other than idle.

2. I like how hard RSV is, with drovbeetles and nasty things everywhere and the storms.  But there should be some non-hard things, especially on the sea.  I always thought it would be neat to introduce "simply" silt sea fishing spots.  Might open up a piracy thing, but without like massive NPCs that'll gank you dead, at least in bits of the sea.

3. More apartments!  They are always full.

1. It would be cool if Storm (and Allanak) had a sally port that you could bribe guards to let you in and out of at night (at least out).  I've seen and had leader PCs that would wish up and bribe gate guards to open the gates for groups to be able to move in an out, but it would be nice to have a coded option. 

2. Agreed. Jozhals, bebescrabs and maybe some rats or buzzards should definitely be able to find their way south of the Red Silt Road.

3. I'm cool with the apartments as is. The turn over is generally fast enough that if you are patient and LIVING in storm, it never takes more than a week or two to get one.
OOCly, I do wish there were some way to limit them to people who are actually playing in Red Storm instead of letting city PCs rent them too. Seems hard to come up with an IC wait of doing that though since everyone in Storm most certainly does not know everyone else in Storm.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

September 01, 2014, 02:53:05 PM #3 Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 02:56:17 PM by roughneck
Quote from: nauta on September 01, 2014, 02:18:40 PM
Two ideas I had:

1. I love RSV, but when it is dead it is dead, and you are stuck there the whole night behind the gates.  I always thought it'd be nice if the "storm" prevented people from getting in, but would "lift" south of the city so you could still go out and greb/spice/hunt or whatever, or do anything other than idle.

2. I like how hard RSV is, with drovbeetles and nasty things everywhere and the storms.  But there should be some non-hard things, especially on the sea.  I always thought it would be neat to introduce "simply" silt sea fishing spots.  Might open up a piracy thing, but without like massive NPCs that'll gank you dead, at least in bits of the sea.

Foraging along the shoreline is much life fishing, especially if you made some kind of net contraption to rp with.

And the silt sea-life is fairly territorial, there's sections with very manageable critters early on in a ranger or warrior's career.

My suggestions:
1. More Jozhals/something interesting south of the silt road and east of the village. Not much going on in that space currently.
2. PC's - commit to playing a character that has a reason to be on the fringe, when RSV feels like a mini-nak it kind of sucks. Be grimy, gritty, suspicious and hateful.

I dream of one of my PC's being forced to flee from their city/job one day.
When I had a Stormer, I felt obliged to send them to the Byn for survival training, but maybe that wasn't necessary.
I would like to be a crafter in Storm one day, though it means relying on PC's for materials, I think, which is fine. I have the patience.
I love the feeling of freedom from city government. RSV is definitely on my list again.
That beauty and truth should pass utterly

Quote from: bracken on September 01, 2014, 03:02:44 PM
I would like to be a crafter in Storm one day, though it means relying on PC's for materials, I think, which is fine. I have the patience.

This is not necessarily true. There are two or three crafting skills that one could work well without ever having to leave the walls.
A couple more can be used with materials foraged 2-5 rooms from the gates, if you're willing.

Also, many PCs who frequent Storm will likely have goods they are more than willing to trade/sell off.

I dream of one of my PC's being forced to flee from their city/job one day.

Done it. Loved it!

When I had a Stormer, I felt obliged to send them to the Byn for survival training, but maybe that wasn't necessary.

There are sometimes groups that gather in Red Storm, but they can come and go pretty quickly.
Now that there are more options for playing with stormy weather besides guild_ranger like the old days, it's not that difficult to travel north for hunting/gathering.

Quote from: roughneck on September 01, 2014, 02:53:05 PM
2. PC's - commit to playing a character that has a reason to be on the fringe, when RSV feels like a mini-nak it kind of sucks. Be grimy, gritty, suspicious and hateful.

REDSTORM REVIVAL 2014!!!!
Be the change.
Grebber - One who grebs.

The problem with Red Stormers is they decide they'd rather go to the Gaj.

Oh FW, you're so cute.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I like Storm myself, feels like one of the few places people fuck off and mind their own damn business...

OR FUCKING ELSE.

No Templars, no militia PCs, no catty aides, no backstab twinks waiting outside the bar... see that guy, over there? Yeah, you don't know him, why you staring, ask about the weather or something and see where it goes. Oh, not talkative? Back off. Don't tell your life story, you're much cooler and mysterious that way. Damn dude, pull your hood up! Your exposed face is seriously killing the vibe. Adopt a spooky voice, make comments about seeing what the bones have to say about this, develop a spice addiction.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: ShaLeah on September 01, 2014, 05:26:08 PM
Oh FW, you're so cute.

Red Storm doesn't do cute.  >:(
Brutal, violent, sexy, and mysterious, however...

You know you want it.
Grebber - One who grebs.

No, it's you who is cute.

Quote from: ShaLeah on September 01, 2014, 05:26:08 PM
Oh FW, you're so cute.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I have to force myself to take a break from Storm and play something else. It can get quiet down there, though.
"Hello, you fellows! You're the very animals I was coming to see! Come along! Hop up! We'll go for a jolly ride! The open road, the dusty highway. Come! I'll show you the world. Travel, change, excitement..!" -Wind in the Willows

Pretty much if it doesn't have a lot of people there, I hate it. I play a lot, and if more than 50% of my time playing is spent twiddling my thumbs at a bar or solo-crafting/hunting, or working on my barrier, I'll probably never decide to play a character exclusively to that area.

I need you guys to have fun.

Red Storm is one of my favorite places in the game, even though I rarely play there.

I remember that my first PC was a Borsail Wyvern who got told to go down there for a day to see what the local rumors were. Another PC and I went (in disguise of course), and the only thing I knew was that they hate slavers there, and everyone was in a fucking hood and you couldn't tell the PCs from the NPCs and OH MY GOD THIS PLACE IS SO SCARY.

I spent the whole trip convinced that our cover was going to be blown and we'd get murdered for our boots and it was awesome.

I think it's a great starting point for a lot of characters across a broad range of concepts, and I think more southerners should play Stormers for a little while before moving their PCs to 'nak (a logical conclusion for most players, since Storm is tough for anyone who doesn't enjoy solo RP). There's a neat sort of culture shock that you can play around with when you're a born-and-bred Stormer who's bumming around 'nak. I like it a lot.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Red Storm is awesome, but certain guilds/subguilds seem mandatory for doing anything there that requires leaving the village walls.  That's a pretty limiting factor.

Quote from: wizturbo on September 02, 2014, 02:58:52 PM
Red Storm is awesome, but certain guilds/subguilds seem mandatory for doing anything there that requires leaving the village walls.  That's a pretty limiting factor.

I like that aspect of it.  It also gives those with that guild something to do, namely, guide people through the storm.  And it's close enough elves can get down there.  Really, it's perfect, except for, like, the nothing-to-do-when-the-gates-are-closed problem. (And really, with all those nasty muls, do they really need the gates too?)
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on September 02, 2014, 04:29:47 PM

I like that aspect of it.  It also gives those with that guild something to do, namely, guide people through the storm.  And it's close enough elves can get down there.  Really, it's perfect, except for, like, the nothing-to-do-when-the-gates-are-closed problem. (And really, with all those nasty muls, do they really need the gates too?)

I like the flavor aspect, but the game play aspect is limiting.  Generally people want to leave the gates to do stuff because there aren't any people around...if there aren't any people around then there's no one there to act as a guide.

There are a number of solutions that could be used to keep the flavor, and eliminate/reduce the game play limitations, but I get the sense that there's no appetite to take any actions.

In a weird brain-stormy novel view of Red Storm, I imagine there's this Corridor City that Allanak begins to build towards Red Storm...Each year getting closer, while the Sand Lord's minions attempt to thwart the progress of Allanak's slave-forces and Templars. Eventually the gap is bridged, Tek opens a McDonalds....The End.

I didn't say it would be a -good- novel.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Wait, how did we get to Tuluk in a thread about Red Storm  ???

Red Storm is Deadwood.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

What?  Red Storm is Ed Wood?  Actually....  maybe that does fit.

Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on September 07, 2014, 01:30:53 PM
Quote from: Cale_Knight on September 07, 2014, 12:49:53 PM
Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 06, 2014, 02:16:47 PM
Red Storm is Deadwood.

Mandatory Deadwood pancakes video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f31PLcCXD0U
That was boss.

I seriously totally laughed out loud. A lot.

My next PC is going to be a short-order cook in Red Storm.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.