Some newbie Qs

Started by Moonflame, August 31, 2014, 09:57:35 AM

Quote from: Moonflame on September 01, 2014, 06:17:34 PM
I devoured the helpfiles before even posting on here, and I've chatted on the helper chat too. I was feeling alright with the commands, it was just way too fast. I'm a fast typer, and I don't know how this other player was typing so fast let alone with the right commands and reading what everyone else was up to as well.

Feel bummed, I screwed up.

Welcome to Armageddon, nerd!

For a game running on a codebase that's older than half of our players, things can get really complex really quickly. I've recently come back from a very long break (like seven years) and in a lot of respects I'm flailing about just as much as you. I don't know any of the new stuff and I've forgotten a lot of the old stuff. And don't get me started on crowded situations - I have totally lost the ability to parse lots of lines of text all at once. I've been avoiding crowded taverns like the plague.

Parsing the game as it scrolls across your screen is pretty much exactly like that scene in the Matrix where whassisface shows Neo the falling code and explains that, eventually, you learn to read it.

It gets easier. I promise.

When in doubt, user the helper system. Or shoot me a PM. Or do both. But don't give up, because I want your boots.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Quote from: Cale_Knight on September 03, 2014, 08:47:13 AM
Quote from: Moonflame on September 01, 2014, 06:17:34 PM
I devoured the helpfiles before even posting on here, and I've chatted on the helper chat too. I was feeling alright with the commands, it was just way too fast. I'm a fast typer, and I don't know how this other player was typing so fast let alone with the right commands and reading what everyone else was up to as well.

Feel bummed, I screwed up.

Welcome to Armageddon, nerd!

For a game running on a codebase that's older than half of our players, things can get really complex really quickly. I've recently come back from a very long break (like seven years) and in a lot of respects I'm flailing about just as much as you. I don't know any of the new stuff and I've forgotten a lot of the old stuff. And don't get me started on crowded situations - I have totally lost the ability to parse lots of lines of text all at once. I've been avoiding crowded taverns like the plague.

Parsing the game as it scrolls across your screen is pretty much exactly like that scene in the Matrix where whassisface shows Neo the falling code and explains that, eventually, you learn to read it.

It gets easier. I promise.

When in doubt, user the helper system. Or shoot me a PM. Or do both. But don't give up, because I want your boots.

What do you mean when you say you want his boots. I feel like it's a thing to take a newbs boots IG

Quote from: valeria on September 02, 2014, 05:59:00 PM
To just respond to this for a moment, this is nothing to be bummed about.  Sometimes your first choice of the clan to get your PC into doesn't work out.  Sometimes you make a concept who just feels to you like Bynner, and the Byn won't hire you (wut? yes, this happens).  So you mope around the bar until some independents grab you and rock your world.  Or you find some other clan to be in.

Piggybacking off of Val, there have been a handful of my PCs that I've said "I want to join Kadius" and been shot down, only to have a ROCKING Salarri that I didn't even think of, or a "You know what? I'm going to join Borsail this time" and have to "settle" for a pretty amazing indie role.

But oh MAN is it frustrating to say "Well. I'm a jewelcrafter. Thats what I do. I craft jewels. I only do that, its a big thing for my character, so I want to join Kadius" only to be shot down and think "Well, concept out the window". Try to think of the hundreds of VIRTUAL NPCs that try to join Kadius every day, and are shot down because "no free handouts". They become twitchy, slack-jawed yokels, and dung sweepers, and down-on-their-luck grebbers that can barely make enough to eat. If its not your bag, like RahRah said... honestly there is no shame in storage. Your role isn't what you expected, and it feels unplayable. Its a game, try again!
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: BeyondCreation on September 03, 2014, 09:36:07 PM
What do you mean when you say you want his boots. I feel like it's a thing to take a newbs boots IG

Yes, this is correct. It's an Armageddon meme / in-joke. Usually stated as: "Welcome to Armageddon! Dibs on your boots." It means: "You will die soon. We will loot your newbie boots and sell them." :D

But you have to say it with love, really.

Quote from: Riev on September 04, 2014, 12:22:07 AM
Piggybacking off of Val...

And me too. I don't think I've ever played a PC that went exactly how I thought they were going to. Even the ones that were born into a clan (e.g. bards or nobles) and therefore kind of "stuck" in a particular role.

I just start with a concept and then go where my PC goes, usually in the wake of other interesting PCs. That's the best part about this game for me. It leads to awesome.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.