Silt Sea Fishing Idea

Started by icewindsong, August 28, 2014, 05:01:21 AM

Sea of silt fishing?  Take 1 convict, or other animal, bind them in a vest set with huge hooks and a thick rope.  Put them in the catapult and hurl them out into the dust.  Then you wait, when there's a tug on the rope, a dozen men crank the rope back in with whatever horror is on the other end.  Then most of them use long poles to immobilie it while a few stab it with spears.  (If the convict lives through it, with at least 2 useable limbs, they're set free.)

While the above isn't a joke - I could see that in a dark-sun life is cheap kind of post-apocalyptic world - I also think some kind of fishing would be fun to do with the sea of silt.  Maybe you'd use nets, toss them out into the dust, let them sink down then haul them in and see what you pulled out.  Scorpions, beetles, spined dustfish, strange roots and fungus - under'sea' plant life, remains of people who fell in and choked (animate or not), maybe a small spice node, or chances to attract silt predators.

I suppose this would require some scripting, but it seems like a fun idea, and something new to go to the red storms and the shore to do.

I did this in the past with a group of other players and a scrab as the bait. We wished up though, then walked the scrab out to the knee-deep silt.....and waited, and waited, and....what was that..??!! The rest was fun  :)

The ecology of the Silt Sea has always fascinated me.  Having "more" to do with the Sea and Skimmers is always a plus in my book.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I think I definitely want to poke around down there with my next character.  Until she gets killed from it. :)  I probably imagine it being much more interesting that it will prove to be.  But if we could actually make a living 'fishing' the sea of silt, that would be fun!

September 04, 2014, 12:37:02 PM #4 Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:46:44 PM by CodeMaster
Quote from: Pale Horse on August 30, 2014, 09:59:22 AM
The ecology of the Silt Sea has always fascinated me.  Having "more" to do with the Sea and Skimmers is always a plus in my book.

Life on the silt sea probably reminds me of this Cosmos clip - could probably mine Sagan's ideas for creature inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uakLB7Eni2E

edit: it's more than probable
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

You can definitely get rich off the silt sea. But not without significant risk.

Your chance of FISHING in the silt sea and pulling nothing dangerous out of it is about as high as your chance of rolling an elf out of the box and slaying a Mekillot 5 minutes after coming out of the box and gearing up.