From the Tatlum helpfile

Started by Impska, October 15, 2002, 12:18:31 AM

QuoteThe spoken version of this language closely resembles Mirukkim, and the two languages hold a number of words in common.

If this is the case, would templars avoid speaking tatlum in front of dwarves? Although not coded, if they're similar, one would think that tatlum would be easier for dwarves (and mirukkim speakers) to pick up and learn by ear than it would be for others.

And if they, in fact, hold some words in common (and assuming some are also similar, if not common), it would be easier for mirukkim speakers to pick up on what templars are talking about. Speaking only of the subject, rather than details, of course.

Would this make a dwarf's life slightly more dangerous than others? I would assume educated templars would be aware of the similarities, so would they be somewhat paranoid about dwarves they think might be showing a little too much interest in a conversation between two templars speaking tatlum?
quote="Lirs"]Sometimes I wonder why I do it.. when reading the GDB feels like death.[/quote]

Quote from: "Impska"would templars avoid speaking tatlum in front of dwarves?
Would this make a dwarf's life slightly more dangerous than others? I would assume educated templars would be aware of the similarities
There's bound to be a templar aware that Mirukkim and Tatlum are similar, however templars aren't suppose to speak in Tatlum anywhere outside of the Templars Quarter. However Tatlum is perfect to speak in front of prisoners when you don't want them to know what your saying. However if this situation arises when the dwarf is a prisoner they probably would talk very little, or whisper or go in another room. Although, if they were determined to have a full blown conversation in Tatlum, it would be nice to say the odd word or two in Mirukkim, however that's only possible if they know Mirukkim.

I don't know if it's possible, but it would be nice to make Tatlum easier for someone to learn if they know Mirukkim.

Quote from: "Impska"Would this make a dwarf's life slightly more dangerous than others? I would assume educated templars would be aware of the similarities, so would they be somewhat paranoid about dwarves they think might be showing a little too much interest in a conversation between two templars speaking tatlum?
I don't think so, I mean, dwarves by nature aren't very sneaky (AFAIK), so they wouldn't be too much of a problem, however an elf, half-elf or human who knows Mirukkim, now there would be a concern for Templars, because they're more able to sneak into the Templar's Quarter.

Perhaps if a dwarf was in the militia there would be a concern, however they aren't, so there's no concern from dwarves. Maybe a -really- paranoid Templar might worry, doubt the "average" one would though.

I think the languages you know does indeed affect the ease of learning other, similar languages.

I learned two languages related to my first one rather quickly, but this third one I learned had no relation to the ones I knew, and was very difficult to learn. Could've just been the languages, or the relationships. Not sure.

Are they really not allowed? I've had templars speak tatlum in front of different characters quite frequently. Outside the quarter.
quote="Lirs"]Sometimes I wonder why I do it.. when reading the GDB feels like death.[/quote]

Quote from: "Tony"I think the languages you know does indeed affect the ease of learning other, similar languages.

I learned two languages related to my first one rather quickly, but this third one I learned had no relation to the ones I knew, and was very difficult to learn. Could've just been the languages, or the relationships. Not sure.

Kinda like the similarities between Spanish and French (both being Romance languages).  Some of my old French classes can be applied when reading a Spanish sign.

Also, English being a bastard language helped when I was learning French too.

Quote from: "Impska"Are they really not allowed? I've had templars speak tatlum in front of different characters quite frequently. Outside the quarter.
I could of sworn I read somewhere that they're not allowed. I am 99% sure that on the old GDB someone was talking about when you would speak your "native" tongue, and that Templars would probably speak in Tatlum when their angry, excitable or just about to enter battle, despite the fact that they're not allowed to speak it outside the Templars Quarter and will probably be chastised later on for it.

Could someone say whether this is true, or if I'm dreaming up entire posts from the GDB again?

John, who hates it when he dreams about Armageddon because he dies even in his dreams