sDesc Recycling and Respect

Started by James de Monet, August 19, 2014, 05:20:44 PM

Should awesomely memorable sDesc terms be recycled?

Yes. Reusing someone's awesome desc is homage, and keeps the game alive.
3 (5.2%)
No. Awesomely unique sDesc terms should be retired out of respect, like a jersey.
4 (6.9%)
Terms can be recycled. Whole sDescs shouldn't be.
38 (65.5%)
No opinion.
5 (8.6%)
I don't mind if people use mine, but I don't want to speak for anyone else.
8 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 58

In adding some updates to my sDesc generator, I am having to consider if I should add some descriptive terms from old logs, some of which are awesomely memorable.

Do you guys think such terms should continue to see life through recycling, or remain a fond memory of that first PC that had it?

For example: I don't know what character had the term "boldly mustachioed" in their sDesc, but that man deserves a medal IMHO.  Would you want to see this term on a different PC, or would it feel like disappointing poserville, if you had seen the real McCoy?
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

I still remember seeing the exact sdesc of a former PC walk into the tavern. I had a completely jarring knee-jerk WTF moment.

I've also seen character descriptions blatantly filched - while not word for word, it was an obvious imitation.

While imitation is the highest form of flattery, it's still jarring. IMO.

Quote from: Delirium on August 19, 2014, 05:56:37 PM
I still remember seeing the exact sdesc of a former PC walk into the tavern. I had a completely jarring knee-jerk WTF moment.

Same here, and I remember some PC mistaking for the dead PC.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

August 19, 2014, 06:00:47 PM #4 Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 07:06:57 PM by valeria
I think I misread the poll.  I don't think the whole sdesc should be copied, but I don't think anyone gets to retire a single keyword like "midget."  Just because I saw that guy once and no one else has had "midget" in the sdesc doesn't mean someone else should not get to use it, IMO.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on August 19, 2014, 06:00:47 PM
I think I misread the poll.  I don't think the whole sdesc should be copied, but I don't think anyone gets to retire a single keyword like "midget."  Just because I saw that guy once and no one else has had "midget" in the sdesc doesn't mean someone else should get to use it, IMO.

And there's probably still wiggle room for more generic sdescs to be re-used again, anyway.  How many tall, broad-shouldered men have you seen?  Slender, black-haired women? 

Something like the pompadoured, boldy-mustachioed man is more unique, and (especially if they play a memorable, long-lived character) I can see how re-using that exact wording would be jarring for many.

I'm kind of tempted to re-use one of my favorite sdescs ever...it was my character, and it was about 8 years ago...think it's safe?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on August 19, 2014, 06:27:31 PM
I'm kind of tempted to re-use one of my favorite sdescs ever...it was my character, and it was about 8 years ago...think it's safe?

When I first started playing I used a similar description from a dead PC in an application for a new PC and it was rejected. I also got an account note about it.  I don't know if it was just too soon, or if it is never allowed.

There are only so many adjectives available, and eventually there will probably be some repeat. I hate having an amazing description for a PC that ends up not making 5 hours played.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Speaking of which, what is the staff's view of this?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

See, I don't think even single words are that much of a problem. It's more like really memorable phrases (as above). In the example case, you could have multiple actual sDescs with different second terms, but if they all included that term, they might still ring familiar.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

August 19, 2014, 09:15:10 PM #9 Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:43:08 PM by IAmJacksOpinion
I see no answer that speaks my feelings on this, but basically there really aren't that many "awesome" sdescs out there... Everyone's just some combination of dusky, raven, dreadlocked, ebon, fucking statuesque, etc. And that's all good and well because, if you step outside of that fold, you usually end up with something ridiculous like "the pudgy, dappled dickens-whelp" that requires me breaking up RP to bust out my thesaurus.

The only sdescs I'd consider "truly awesome" enough to have stuck with me aren't likely to be getting past approval anytime soon. It'll be a long time until "the eyeless, whip-backed horror" walks into the Gaj.

Don't get me wrong, plenty of people show up with well-crafted descriptions that you can tell some thought and original thinking went into... I just don't hold them in that high of regard.  But then again, I'm also pretty jaded and lazy about the whole thing. After like 150 characters, I'm out of good ideas. My standard new desc writing process involves digging through some of my old descriptions that I've liked, picking out the features I like, and amalgamating them together. Not a cut and paste job, but they don't exactly spring with originality.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

You know what word really ran the gammut? Umber.

I don't even know what umber is but god have I seen that word.
Part-Time Internets Lady

My first ever character had the exact same sDesc as another living character in the area. I went in to the pub and people started telling me secrets and stuff. So I said okay, and my nomad accent tipped them off. I had no clue why everyone was always talking to me until I bumped into my twin.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Boy that's an awkward way to learn about super secret plot stuff.

"Remember, I buried the pile of sid about three leagues west and north of the city."

"*Nomadically* I am seeing of the taking care of this, then?"

I don't think I've ever had even a similar SDesc as anyone else because I vehemently try to avoid the ones that are blatantly normal.

I played identical gypsy twins with Tisiphone and we had the same descs but the descriptors were in switched positions. It wasn't to fool anyone, it was just to have them look the same. I'm pretty sure we each wrote our own desc based on identical characteristics, so that was neat, too.

That gypsy ended up having the same "name" as an Allanaki noble, and THAT was awkward over the Way :P
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

September 13, 2014, 02:53:09 AM #15 Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 02:58:26 AM by Tuannon
Come on Gimf, Ellandris wasn't a cool name for a gypsy.

<ramble>

I guess it comes down to what your sDesc actually is, if you're the dark skinned, frizzy haired dude.. or something common.. expect recycling.

But if you're the 'Nigrescent, some simile for frizzy haired man' then that's something else entirely.

I wonder if it might be considered socially awkward among the more powerful common bloods to name their children in part after highborn?

Not sure 'mocking' the Borsail or Oash.. or whatever family by aping their ways is a good thing though. Oh well RP things.

</ramble>

Some sdescs are classic, right - you could pick them out.

I wouldn't copy those - I mean, you want to write your own classic sdescs.

I think mine are pretty damn unique. :)
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Most of my sdescs are very plain, all time favorite though:

The big, fat man.

My opinion on this is pretty simple:  it's egotistical to think people are snatching your/your favorite pc's sdesc purposefully.

Especially given that you are dealing with what is in effect, a body of creative writers.  It reminds me of one of my first spec apps, when I applied for a very certain kind of PC and was told "Hey, this PC is already in the game world, alive, right now."  Did I know?  No.  Is it my fault for not knowing?  No.  Is it surprising people get similar urges when playing a game?  No.

Shit happens, get on with life.  Additionally, at the least, for every tall, muscular man, there is an sdesc that feels a bit more in theme.

I think that the best kinds of sdescs are the ones that tell you what you'd notice about a given person at a glance.  Am I really going to notice the ecru birthmark on the inside of your left calf?  Probably not.  So if your sdesc is the zaftig, ecru-birthmarked dickenswhelp, I'm probably going to think that you're trying too hard.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.