Jinxed's thread of Feedback and Questions.

Started by Jinxed, July 26, 2014, 09:15:40 PM

I too did the emote thing, except I wrote them all on a sticky note (because my brain holds on to things so much better when I write them down).  I still only use + and = so rarely that I have to look them up every time though.  That is very good advice.

As far as the buffer limit, I've never really managed to catch on to that.  ::)
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Or you can have Notepad open with the table and with other notes that you need.  Mudlet has one built in.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Fujikoma on July 28, 2014, 10:59:00 AM
Quote from: slvrmoontiger on July 28, 2014, 10:48:06 AM
Quote from: Fujikoma on July 28, 2014, 07:02:06 AM
I learned to use all the emote symbols properly from mudsex. :P

LOL. Mudsex does force you to learn how to become quite creative with emotes, especially on which symbol to use in which instance. It can get confusing with all the different symbols to put before names or keywords. But it becomes second nature after a while. When I first started playing again after a 5 year break I printed off the chart in the help files of the symbols for emotes and I taped it right above my computer on the wall so I always saw it while playing. It only stayed there for a few months and then it became second nature. People adapt and learn and memorize stuff.

After a while the buffer limit starts to become second nature too, so you don't get chopped emotes.

Especially the case for mudsex. Buffer limit really restricts you.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

I didn't even know the + and = sign existed in our emote code and I've never fully understood tagging yourself. Is that for people who genderbend a lot and don't want to slip, or does it actually effect something?
"Hello, you fellows! You're the very animals I was coming to see! Come along! Hop up! We'll go for a jolly ride! The open road, the dusty highway. Come! I'll show you the world. Travel, change, excitement..!" -Wind in the Willows

I got into the habit of tagging myself when I was playing a male character.  I do sometimes just throw "her" and "herself" and things into my emotes, because really who cares but me (and it displays all wonky when you do tag yourself).  But in that instance I didn't want to screw it up.

I usually have no issue with playing the opposite gender and not tagging.

Does tagging cause your pronouns to become vague during "someone" emotes? (I.e. if you're knocked out, will you see "someone drives -their- foot into your side" or "someone drives -her- foot into your side")
Part-Time Internets Lady

I always put my PC's name in the prompt, lest I forget and think I'm playying a previous PC. (TIP: -NEVER- do this)
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

July 31, 2014, 11:50:39 AM #33 Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 12:09:11 AM by senseofeven
This is how my Armageddon colors is set up - hope it helps you.

Room titles plus their exits in striking gold so I know where the shit I am.
Any kind of speech is in that bright blue so I know it's people talking.
Prompt is green when I'm OK but turns red then I'm not.

And loads more of secret fun stuff, too!

If you're asking about why the lines break it's because in your settings you must've had WORDWRAP on. So just uncheck it or click AUTO WORDWRAP or something similar and it should break at where your client is expanded. Sorry I'm not very used to MUSHclient!

Mine's set to a wrap of ~90, cause I like it half like that.

Cute cat included in mushclient package?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on July 31, 2014, 12:19:22 PM

I'm using Zmud and you're going to have to find your own cute cat!  :P

Quote from: senseofeven on July 31, 2014, 12:21:48 PM
Quote from: Barzalene on July 31, 2014, 12:19:22 PM

I'm using Zmud and you're going to have to find your own cute cat!  :P
gimme cute cat

Hey OP!  Are you still playing?  How is it?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I am still playing. I decided that live chat sessions with helpers are more comfortable for me than forums and torture those poor folks with hours-long talks.
I would like to note that pickpocket and burglar are not suitable guilds for new players - their lifespan tends to be extremelly short for those, who does not know how and where to train their skills appropriatly.

Night-time, with no soldier pc's in nearby rooms, and you'll be as safe as can be practicing those skills.

My first PC was guild_pickpocket. He just didn't use the skills!

warrior and ranger are two good fallback guilds if you're looking for something non-crime oriented. If you want to keep some of the crime factor, try assassin, but note that assassins are not good pickpockets. (They do eventually gain the ability to pick locks, though, so burglary could be a future vocation).
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I am through two characters already. Both died a gruesome and long death.
Which is interesting, the second character survived only for two hours - apparently my ability to survive is regressing at alarming rates.

Looking back, I may note that possible reason is my timezone. If I decide to play at a daytime, usually I witness 2-10 players, which leaves me nothing much to do but go exploring.
Both characters died during going somewhere where they are not really supposed to be.

You'll get better at surviving after a while.  Or maybe not.  But you will probably never stop dying stupid or sudden deaths.  It's the nature of the game.  :)

If you have an Allanaki PC and you see Bynners around in your time zone, maybe you should join the Byn. Then die in uniform.

The Byn is really super fun. I imagine sometimes new players don't want to go in the New Player clan which is sort've how it can be presented, so I want to assure you that old players love this clan best and there are almost always plenty of experienced players here. It's a wonderful place for learning how to train as well as how to roleplay and get to see some of the world.

I love the Byn.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Third character is dead. His death was most fun, I am still wondering what the hell actually happened there.
I also would like to note that combat is too damn fast-paces for a roleplay project. It is nearly impossible to keep track fo actions and roleplay accordingly even with brief combat turned on.

In any case, one of my previous characters used to be a member of Byn. Is it acceptable to re-join the faction one of your previous character used to be a member of?
I do recall that some projects have a very strict policies on that matter - what is the situation about it here?

August 05, 2014, 05:41:51 PM #48 Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 05:43:57 PM by Fujikoma
Quote from: Jinxed on August 05, 2014, 05:37:00 PM
Third character is dead. His death was most fun, I am still wondering what the hell actually happened there.
I also would like to note that combat is too damn fast-paces for a roleplay project. It is nearly impossible to keep track fo actions and roleplay accordingly even with brief combat turned on.

In any case, one of my previous characters used to be a member of Byn. Is it acceptable to re-join the faction one of your previous character used to be a member of?
I do recall that some projects have a very strict policies on that matter - what is the situation about it here?

I think it's not advised.

I do anyway sometimes. I think the Byn is one of those you can get some leeway in. I could be wrong, but yeah, I had like four or five PCs in a row join the Byn, actually, likely more than that.

EDIT: It can become especially difficult with some non-human PCs with few clan choices, and aggressive IC recruitment pushes, along with the OOC anti-indie sentiment (which being an independent is likely not a great choice for a newer PC, but it works for some).
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

It's okay to rejoin a clan you had a previous character in. Generally it's advised to at least wait one or two characters before rejoining - if we see you doing back to back to back to back stints in the same clan or area of the game with each successive PC, we'll probably say something to you.

As a note, though, please try not to post about your recent deaths on the GDB. If anyone knows who you're playing and reads the post before knowing you died in game, it spoils things for them and can ruin plots. Thanks.
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.