Jinxed's thread of Feedback and Questions.

Started by Jinxed, July 26, 2014, 09:15:40 PM

a good bonfire will destroy it, I think...
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: whitt on March 12, 2017, 02:05:25 PM
Quote from: Jinxed on March 12, 2017, 10:05:40 AM
How to mechanically dispose of humanoid corpse?

Most commonly potential options are:
- Wait for a reboot
- Use the wish command to ask staff to remove the corpse after appropriate RP

Only the last is reliable.

I think if you're strong enough, you can bury a corpse?  I feel like one of my PCs buried a corpse with a half-giant before and her companion was able to do the lifting with no trouble.
Depending on the RP surrounding the disposal, you may have to get a little creative with the burying.

Spamminess of combat and traveling with more experienced player is harder to survive than I remember.
How to manage the spam?

Brief room

Brief exits

Brief combat

And practice. Also colors.

Mush does that not quite amusing thing about playing windows error sound when something croaks nearby.
I fail to find where to turn that off.

Go into the settings on Mushclient, go to Appearance>Output, the very first option tells the client to not do beeps if you don't want it to. You can also select a new sound that happens when the game beeps.

So, I've abandoned Armageddon being unsatisfied with how combat works and perceived in community.
But is a good idea to pop-in once in a while with a question:
Did combat mechanics or rules change in last six months?

Combat will likely never change, and if it does, it will be an absolutely enormous task to change given that the game has used the same system, as far as I know, since its creation.

Colors were added to the game, im unsure if you knew that or not.

And the current view on talking about skills is relatively relaxed, most of the subdguilds now specifically spell out what you get and to what levels now.

The threaten skill was introduced, which will trigger the start of combat during certain situations.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: Jinxed on January 10, 2018, 12:24:09 PM
So, I've abandoned Armageddon being unsatisfied with how combat works and perceived in community.
But is a good idea to pop-in once in a while with a question:
Did combat mechanics or rules change in last six months?

There are often tweaks that go in, unpublished, to the combat system. However, Arm's system will likely always be the round-based coded skill-vs-skill that we have currently. While things have been added and moved around, that has been the base of how its worked for 20+ years, with only minor changes like "Parry is stronger" or "Reels have less lockout" or "more than 5 people cannot attack one sole humanoid target"
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: mansa on January 10, 2018, 06:21:03 PM
The threaten skill was introduced, which will trigger the start of combat during certain situations.
That is a step in a direction that I dont like, frankly.
Feels like taking away from roleplay into favour of mechanics.

And that is precisely what pushed me away - in most encounters kill <target> is acceptable substitute to roleplaying it out. Even in perfectably controlled enviroment.
Once even had an encounter when outcome was more than obvious - single combatant versus eight, even in that situation it required some OOC communication for a tasty bit of descriptive roleplay instead of mechanic combat.

January 12, 2018, 02:33:42 PM #87 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:48:04 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Jinxed on January 12, 2018, 02:14:05 PM

To add to Molten, threaten does precisely the opposite of what you think it does. You approach merchant. You threaten merchant. You roleplay with merchant, now safe knowing if THEY choose to suddenly start spamming code, you'll automatically get to intervene. It's designed so that people who want to get into fights can still emote and roleplay without risking their victims simply spam walking away while they do so. The things that trigger threaten to attack are draw, movement, ect.

I think the idea behind threaten was due to the fact that before the implementation of the command people could and often would speedwalk away from your menacing rp before you finished typing it out. So nobody ever got to see how your obsidian bladed axe glinted, menacingly in the light. By the time you hit enter the person had speed walked to safety and possibly quit out by then.

So that actually is a tool to facilitate role play.
Just like the white winged dove,
Sings a song
Sounds like she's singing
Oooo,ooo, ooo

And that is precisely what pushed me away - in most encounters kill <target> is acceptable substitute to roleplaying it out. Even in perfectably controlled enviroment.
Once even had an encounter when outcome was more than obvious - single combatant versus eight, even in that situation it required some OOC communication for a tasty bit of descriptive roleplay instead of mechanic combat.

Also you should be aware there are some Npcs that have some scripts that make them appear almost as real as a player or in some cases more real than some players. Kudos to whoever scripted them! And yes they absolutely will kill you. As far as eight people jumping you. I suppose the official line would go something like "Well they might have used think or feel, which you aren't privy to, which means they were role playing blah...blah... blah, maybe they were introverted assassins...blah-blah...true to their character. My roleplay is great!"

While that might be true, another truth is you may not have been as squishy as you thought and the surest, fastest way to be sure you actually ended up dead before you could run away was to vastly outnumber you.
Just like the white winged dove,
Sings a song
Sounds like she's singing
Oooo,ooo, ooo

Quote from: Namino on January 12, 2018, 02:34:53 PM

To add to Molten, threaten does precisely the opposite of what you think it does. You approach merchant. You threaten merchant. You roleplay with merchant, now safe knowing if THEY choose to suddenly start spamming code, you'll automatically get to intervene. It's designed so that people who want to get into fights can still emote and roleplay without risking their victims simply spam walking away while they do so. The things that trigger threaten to attack are draw, movement, ect.

..You can still run away from someone threatening you. I think if they guard directions before threatening you, it would inhibit the result of escaping unscathed.

That does not really rekindle my faith.
Situation you are describing is that there are people who value mechanics of speedwalking away from roleplay to, well, roleplay. And to adress the issue there was inroduced.... a mechanic. Quaint.

Quote from: Jinxed on January 17, 2018, 04:42:40 PM
That does not really rekindle my faith.
Situation you are describing is that there are people who value mechanics of speedwalking away from roleplay to, well, roleplay. And to adress the issue there was inroduced.... a mechanic. Quaint.

Its hard to rekindle faith when the faithless demand satisfaction. Rather than.... faith.

Its a mechanic that has been asked for, and solves AN issue. Maybe not the specific "speedwalking away" one, but there are other mechanics to keep people from doing that. A multitude.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on January 17, 2018, 04:54:54 PM

Its hard to rekindle faith when the faithless demand satisfaction. Rather than.... faith.

This is some ice cold shit a Templar should rip off.

I want a Templar who calls Commoners "The Faithless".

Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Threaten is an awesome mechanic.  We all face the stinging barb of the code sometimes and frankly that's what makes Armageddon way more interesting than a MUSH. 

I don't avoid RP, I just I never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.