Traps

Started by RogueGunslinger, July 16, 2014, 09:50:29 PM

I'm good with flash powder being gone, althought I honestly don't have a problem with it existing in a light-show sort of way, which honestly is the only way it should ever have been implemented. In fact, what flash powder should have done is remained, and been used in a trap to blind you.

But I certianly want to see traps brought back, and there are a ton of really cool ways that traps could be used, from catching spider objects that you could have in a cage, to catching live NPC beasts, from poisoning to direct injury and status and skill effecting results, and so many other ways.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I'm actually really down with "flash" powder causing temporary blindness (easier to steal from someone when they can't even see you).

Or at master level, loaded crossbow traps (because HONESTLY, who uses crossbows?) that can be set up.

I'd assume, even a Master trap setter wouldn't be One Hit Killing anyone, but it'd be nice to set up a "stun" trap in your apartment, and wait in the bedroom for some dumbass trying to break in.

Or even the one-time damage razor blades in a container.

Or caltrops.

But all of these are tough, because they COULD just be a "trap (crafting)" skill, or trap could be the actual PLACING of the purchaseable/craftable trap objects, with the skill check being you setting it off in your face... it'd be a huge undertaking to program in just the crafting recipes, skillchecks, balances, and scripting for these unique objects.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Desertman on July 22, 2014, 05:00:13 PM
I never liked the idea of flash powder in game. It never seemed to "fit" the world for me personally.

I do like the idea of traps.

Things like contact poison for example.

Loaded crossbow traps.

Cord suspension inner-lock needle traps.

Snares.

Pits.

So on and so forth. That's what I can come up with off the top of my head in under 45 seconds of thought. Given some time and any hope any of it would actually ever get into game, (extremely unlikely) I could probably come up with a lot more in the way of feasible "Zalanthan" traps.

It was an awesome defense system against burglars. It was like a Zalanthan Christmas when you came back to your apartment to see that someone opened your flash powder bag.

July 23, 2014, 01:40:41 PM #53 Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 01:42:20 PM by Reiloth
What I liked about trap (though I was never really a fan of flash powder fitting into the universe, and I am glad to see it gone) is that it allowed for passive assassination attempts. If your 'assassin/burglar' wasn't fantastic at combat, they could still figure out a way to 'get the guy'. It was still pretty risky (Try failing a trap attempt), but I also think it got a little silly when you'd find bag-bombs everywhere in the Labyrinth.

I think by expanding the utility of the skill, it could fit more functionally within the classes and ICly within the game. Relying too heavily on flash powder was ultimately trap's achilles heel.

It would also be based on a 'skill' system rather than guilds, but were it ever to be that way in the "Ideal World", Rangers or Assassins or anyone with the right amount of skill points could purchase the skill group 'trap' and make either wilderness traps, or city traps, based on their specialization.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Dresan on July 17, 2014, 05:22:21 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 17, 2014, 03:13:40 PM
So what. The more the merrier. We can keep adding skills to the other classes to make up for that ;)

+1

And risk imbalancing the entire game, for the sake of traps?

I love the idea, not the entire game-rework though.
Have a Skeeteriffic day!

Quote from: Skeeter on July 27, 2014, 08:21:50 AM
Quote from: Dresan on July 17, 2014, 05:22:21 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 17, 2014, 03:13:40 PM
So what. The more the merrier. We can keep adding skills to the other classes to make up for that ;)

+1

And risk imbalancing the entire game, for the sake of traps?

I love the idea, not the entire game-rework though.

You think the game is balanced?

The game is far from balanced, but Rangers are one of the better mundane classes as is (if not the best, depending who you ask). I think adding another skill as an afterthought of 'well rangers should have this anyways' isn't excellent at the get go. Maybe an extended sub guild (Trapper) would make up for the loss 100% rangers would feel at not being able to make traps.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~