Traps

Started by RogueGunslinger, July 16, 2014, 09:50:29 PM

Yeah, if anything like this were to go in, I would definitely not want rangers to get more things freely added to their arsenal.
Alea iacta est

If rangers had trap, magickers would go extinct.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

make traps that lure dangerous creatures?

trap tree kryl.meat

Poor adventurer as arrived from the south

poor adventurer picks a rare fruit from the tree

A KRYL SWARM CHARGES IN FROM THE NORTH!

idk. something like this would be interesting.

I have a feeling that would kill more newbs than it would anyone else.

Quote from: Yummri on July 19, 2014, 07:37:54 PM
I have a feeling that would kill more newbs than it would anyone else.

Well. The known is a dangerous place. ;)

Hide, sneak and scan have city/outdoor versions, so I imagine trap could as well.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on July 19, 2014, 10:18:23 PM
Hide, sneak and scan have city/outdoor versions, so I imagine trap could as well.

It would be a great idea. Say, for example, 'trap ground spikes'. If you fall down into that room you have a percentile chance of hitting the spikes and being dealt extra falling damage based on the trap level of the player that set it up.

I know people wouldn't set a trap in a city-state main thoroughfare in the middle of the day the same way that a gicker wouldn't start creating lightbulbs in the Gaj but, just as a common-sense thing, maybe make it illegal to set traps and be seen doing it inside a city, making quiet nighttime in a deserted place literally the only way to set a trap outside in the walls just like real life, the way I imagine lockpicks are also illegal.
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

+1 to this thread. Anything to make our PC's lives more hazardous and uncertain is A great idea in my opinion
Oh, so you think its  safe to reach into your own pack? SLICE! Think again!
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

Quote from: WanderingOoze on July 20, 2014, 04:05:53 AM
+1 to this thread. Anything to make our PC's lives more hazardous and uncertain is A great idea in my opinion
Oh, so you think its  safe to reach into your own pack? SLICE! Think again!

In my mind, especially in a legal-crime place like Tuluk, hiring those dastardly Shadow Artists to plan razor-sharp obsidian flakes in people's coin-purses or belts would be pretty interesting. Perhaps a bit brutal, but a great message for a free-spending indie Merchant.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Shit yeah... bring back traps!
Death is only the beginning...

I wasn't around at this time. Why was traps removed?

Quote from: a french mans shirt on July 21, 2014, 03:00:21 PM
I wasn't around at this time. Why was traps removed?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

because staff decided that bombs really made little sense in this game world.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Yeah. I was actually a little surprised when I found out bombs existed IG.
Alea iacta est

It would be awesome to se a return soon. Traps would add a lot of flavour to this game.

It would be cool if you could trap a lock. Say a door that way anyone who tried to pick it would get a neat surprise unless they detected it.(which shouldn't be easy) Or a chance on agility/wisdom to avoid it.

Or activated using a key which should be much harder to set. Could be fun!

It could become retroactively a bronze age, pre this fucking era thing back when halberds and wagons were invented and kept by the powerful as defiling started being mad crazy and destroying progress. The Chinese had gunpowder for a long time, and they could deal with it with few casualties, or many, depending on their purpose.

They should just make it simply not available for common people, you know those rangers who can kill scorpions for their scorpion powder or shit and all the rare ingredients they would need, selling to the right person, having enough left over to protect themselves if they aren't already the Kadian First Hunter and becoming filthy rich. Just make it a clan craft, or have it only legally available to particular folks. That way you can still get that corporal who's disenchanted with life and decides to sneak powder out of the special leaders room and try to kill somebody with it--- with lots of proper emoting of course. I don't know if both militia clans have special leader rooms.

Nope. Fuck gunpowder, or flash powder, even if it's technically not the same thing. There is plenty of opportunity fir traps without having to add wildly anachronistic technology to the game, nevermind technology that the playerbase seems incapable of handling well.

Quote from: Patuk on July 22, 2014, 02:09:59 AM
Nope. Fuck gunpowder, or flash powder, even if it's technically not the same thing. There is plenty of opportunity fir traps without having to add wildly anachronistic technology to the game, nevermind technology that the playerbase seems incapable of handling well.

if them powders are brought back in, i shall mastercraft the first wooden cannons! DOWN WITH THE WALLS!

I didn't read a single word in this entire thread. Just the title.

I'm just posting this because I feel it is needed.

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Cabooze on July 22, 2014, 04:46:15 AM
Quote from: Patuk on July 22, 2014, 02:09:59 AM

if them powders are brought back in, i shall mastercraft the first wooden cannons! DOWN WITH THE WALLS!

Cabooze, goddammit, use the zalanthan term, 'giant's muket'

Frankly, I don't think an explosive powder is anachronistic by any sense, however the fact that it kept getting turned into what is essentially gunpowder and dynamite, I think it kept giving a negative connotation. If we have gunpowder, I want to make guns. If we have bombs, I want to blow up buildings. Why can't I just deposit a bunch of flash powder into a pot and explode it on main street?

Nevermind the fact that the coding was so wonky, that it took some pretty extreme shit to get the skill to any measureable degree of "not blowing myself up" that people had to have WAY too much access to something WAY too supposedly rare.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Aren't there still references in certain frequently traveled rooms about the use of explosives
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

I never liked the idea of flash powder in game. It never seemed to "fit" the world for me personally.

I do like the idea of traps.

Things like contact poison for example.

Loaded crossbow traps.

Cord suspension inner-lock needle traps.

Snares.

Pits.

So on and so forth. That's what I can come up with off the top of my head in under 45 seconds of thought. Given some time and any hope any of it would actually ever get into game, (extremely unlikely) I could probably come up with a lot more in the way of feasible "Zalanthan" traps.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I see Zalanthas having the technology level of earth around the year 0. I find that too recent already, as earth has actual metal, but let us assume Zalanthas has that level of technology.

A bigass sewer like in Allanak would be hard, but feasible.

A huge fucking pyramid would take a while, but could be done.

Paper, and smoking? Anachronistic, but not so harmful; nobody can write anyway, and you could just as easily let people smoke up leaves or whatever.

Gunpowder is where I draw the line. Fuck it. Not only was gunpowder invented well past times with Zalanthan technology, it carries destructive potential to an enormous degree. It holds no place in this world. It opens up plots not at all at home in Zalanthas. Good riddance is all I have to say about flash powder.