Newb Questions

Started by roobee, July 01, 2014, 11:02:36 PM

I wouldn't even talk about the game to someone who also has a character in the game at the same time. I've had stuff spoiled for me this way.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Good MUD client for macs?

I recall reading somewhere that plots are mostly player driven. If so, then is "discuss" ing with NPCs useless or are there some instances where they do respond usefully?

Atlantis and Potato were recommended to me when I first switched to Mac. However, I've stuck with Mudlet, which I used on a Windows computer previously and which I'm used to. Mudlet offers the best antialiasing, ability to handle large amounts of scroll, in-prompt spellcheck and flexibility with prompt capture and other scripting as long as you're willing to deal with its personal interpretation of LUA. The latter isn't really necessary to play Arm, but since I'm used to playing MU*s with color I wrote a bunch of stuff for myself.

Quote from: roobee on July 10, 2015, 05:14:45 PM
Good MUD client for macs?

Atlantis is great.

Quote from: roobee on July 25, 2015, 01:51:03 AM
I recall reading somewhere that plots are mostly player driven. If so, then is "discuss" ing with NPCs useless or are there some instances where they do respond usefully?

Using the "discuss" command with NPCS can be interesting and even helpful, but not in a sense that it will help you advance your plots.  Often, npcs will be programmed to tell you their names, information about the city, or even stories.  But this information usually has very little to do with ongoing plots.  The rumor boards positioned in taverns are usually a better source of "up to date" information regarding in game events.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

July 26, 2015, 05:39:27 AM #205 Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 06:06:27 AM by azuriolinist
Just curious... If you start your player with a normal subguild, can you request for an extended subguild similar to that subguild for the same character in the future? Or are they only supposed to be requested when creating a new character?

You can only request an extended subguild during the character generation process.

It is theoretically possible to acquire new skills on a pre-existing character outside of their guild and subguild, but only after long long efforts of in-game training, backed up with logs... and you'd probably need to get staff approval first before hand. And even after submitting logs, it's up to Producers (or Admins? pretty high up) to decide whether the skill-grant is justified. And then you might have to trade a skill or two in for your new skill.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on July 26, 2015, 07:04:54 AM
You can only request an extended subguild during the character generation process.

It is theoretically possible to acquire new skills on a pre-existing character outside of their guild and subguild, but only after long long efforts of in-game training, backed up with logs... and you'd probably need to get staff approval first before hand. And even after submitting logs, it's up to Producers (or Admins? pretty high up) to decide whether the skill-grant is justified. And then you might have to trade a skill or two in for your new skill.

Well, isn't that grand. Thanks for answering, anyhow! :)

You're welcome! Don't let it get you down none. My first character was a warrior who, because of his subguild, had a grand total of one extra skill that he couldn't even readily use. I think I managed to use it 3 or 4 times in almost there years of play. Figuring out what makes for a "good" guild/subguild combination (or what a "Good" one even means for you) is part of the learning curve.

Quote from: azuriolinist on July 26, 2015, 08:17:50 AM
Quote from: BadSkeelz on July 26, 2015, 07:04:54 AM

Well, isn't that grand. Thanks for answering, anyhow! :)

It won't be helpful for everyone but here's what I do, for my characters:

I decide on what lifestyle my PC will be intended to live. An outdoorsy type (meaning, out of the city, not just outside buildings)? A city-based outdoorsy type? Or a tavern-sitter? If it's an outdoorsy type, then the #1 skill I know I'll need is direction sense. The #2 is a tie for scan and listen. Those skills are dealbreakers if I can't get them.

Outdoorsy but city-based? This time, scan/listen become primary, with probably sneak/hide being secondary. Tavern-sitter? Scan/listen primary, and some kind of craft secondary because sitting around all day in a bar is boring and I need something to do when I escape the bar to an apartment.

So those are the 3 lifestyle choices. I make sure that my guild and subguild will provide me with those skills at a "useful" skill level. If it's a mage, then I'd need to make sure my subguild has those deal-breaker skills, because mage guilds don't tend to come with those skills. That narrows things down to only a few options, and I find that makes it easier, rather than harder, because I don't have to spend too much time thinking about what kind of code my PC needs and can think more about what kind of things I want my PC to do ICly in her life.

For me, the #1 singular most important question I will ask myself when creating a PC is: what will my character DO on days when there's nothing to do and no one around? I tend to have long-lived characters, and nothing says "storage" faster than not including the coded skills necessary to keep yourself codedly busy when you can't find interaction (or when you're too new to feel comfortable starting some up).
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Yep. Should have thought more on what my character would be doing. Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to keep them in mind when I'm making a new character!

After a character dies, can you use the same character bio, background, etc. in your new character? Of course, you would have no memory of the previous life, and no connections to it. I just remember as a noob, and perhaps soon once I do more risky things, that my characters died quick and it was frustrating to spend so much time on a character's background for relatively little playtime. Also, sometimes one just really likes a certain character's story.

Also, how does morning devotions work? Do you go to a temple and emote/think pray? Do it anywhere? Is it optional or should you be scared to death if a templar catches you not doing it? How long should you do it?

Quote from: roobee on July 26, 2015, 10:51:32 AM
After a character dies, can you use the same character bio, background, etc. in your new character? Of course, you would have no memory of the previous life, and no connections to it. I just remember as a noob, and perhaps soon once I do more risky things, that my characters died quick and it was frustrating to spend so much time on a character's background for relatively little playtime. Also, sometimes one just really likes a certain character's story.

It's kind of poor form to use the exact same background... but that doesn't mean you can't use very similar ones! Change his hair from red to blonde, change the keywords, rehash the description. Alter the background a bit, maybe grow up on the other side of town. Most of our characters are coming from broadly similar backgrounds: commoners growing up in the warrens of the cities or the outlying farms, or tribals from tribalstan. It's quite reasonable to have  similarities, but you should try and give every character a few unique details of his or her own.

Quote from: roobee on July 26, 2015, 11:12:34 AM
Also, how does morning devotions work? Do you go to a temple and emote/think pray? Do it anywhere? Is it optional or should you be scared to death if a templar catches you not doing it? How long should you do it?

I suggest following the character you see shouting about morning devotions and see what he does.

To follow up my previous post, I would personally suggest not making your backgrounds too specific. I like to know where my characters grew up and what they might have generally gotten up, but small details (first sex, first murder, specific employment) I often make up on the fly.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on July 26, 2015, 11:51:08 AM
To follow up my previous post, I would personally suggest not making your backgrounds too specific. I like to know where my characters grew up and what they might have generally gotten up, but small details (first sex, first murder, specific employment) I often make up on the fly.

Totally this. Typical "type" of background for me in a non-sponsored app:

Talia grew up in [city/area]. Father [unknown/no one special], mother [dead presumed dead/possibly a whore]. Raised in the typical fashion of unimportant nobodies in this area. [if a mage - manifested young, learned from Amos and Malik the basics that show up on the help files]. Hoping to [survive long enough/become useful enough] to [afford a better lifestyle/have a statue built in her honor].
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on July 26, 2015, 11:20:43 AM

I suggest following the character you see shouting about morning devotions and see what he does.

I now have but that did not answer whether it is optional or you should be scared to death for not doing it.

Quote from: roobee on August 02, 2015, 12:34:51 PM
Quote from: BadSkeelz on July 26, 2015, 11:20:43 AM

I now have but that did not answer whether it is optional or you should be scared to death for not doing it.

That's a great question.  I think if you wish your character to be viewed as *especially* devout, then you'd do it.  But no harm will come your way if you don't do it, as long as you're following templars' orders, bowing to who you should be, etc.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Thanks. Also, what's the standards for the Silver Ginka? I know the gaj is for anyone, red's retreat for more dignified. Is the Ginka the middle ground?

Red's Retreat is the middle ground and well-to-do commoners. Silver Ginka is a teahouse, not a tavern. It's in the Commoner's quarter so common people go there.

Atrium and Arboretum are for the upper classes.

The Gaj is more for disgusting people..you really shouldn't see Aides, Merchants ect in there.  I haven't played in Nak in a few years until recently and it seems likely people that would at one point never see in the Gaj suddenly seem to flock there. The Gaj to me is more for Byners, gemmed, elves and breeds.  Reds is for merchants, aides ect..

Atrium  (and to some extent Tor) is for Nobility and upper crust commoners. I recall the reading somewhere that Reds is the sort of place a Fale would only go in to on dare. There has been shift with Atrium closed and Traders gone towards Reds but with the Atrium open I don't see why Noble would venture that far into the commoners quarter. 

The Silver Ginka is tea house just read the room desc to figure out what sort of people would frequent there. Likely Aides Merchants and upper crust. If I were a noble and wanting to meet with someone not on the Atrium's guest list and didn't want them on my Estate i would meet them in Ginka.
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

The Gaj is a sports bar. Read the description (or has that changed?). The Gaj is described as the place you go to hear the latest news from the arena and get a cheap drink. It's on the thoroughfare and at the edge of the Commoner's quarter so it's going to be popular with all comers. Just because undesirable PCs hang out there doesn't mean it's not normally filled with commoners, mercenaries, and the occasional gemmed. It's arguably the only place where northerners and gemmed can expect to go without worrying about being actively kicked out but that doesn't make them welcomed with open arms. They can and do get run out if they act like a dumbshit.

People need to remember to think outside the codebox and consider the virtual world.

October 09, 2015, 12:36:33 PM #222 Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:59:24 PM by dhorw
Hello, i've back after a year break and i create new character. I pointed tuluk and i'm in village nearby tuluk. My question is: is this possible to play -solo- in this village? mean, i don't see apartments, only kadian house and marketplace with one tavern. Where can i store my items? where can i sleep safely?

Edit: Can i change my biography after char. creation? As i remember biography is only for players, not for staff, right?

Quote from: dhorw on October 09, 2015, 12:36:33 PM
Hello, i've back after a year break and i create new character. I pointed tuluk and i'm in village nearby tuluk. My question is: is this possible to play -solo- in this village? mean, i don't see apartments, only kadian house and marketplace with one tavern. Where can i store my items? where can i sleep safely?

Edit: Can i change my biography after char. creation? As i remember biography is only for players, not for staff, right?

As far as I know, there's no apartments in Morin's Village (the place you're in).  You can play solo in the village, but you'd best get used to carrying your stuff around with you.  You can sleep in the sleeping area of the tavern, but like all public places (or private places, for that matter), it isn't necessarily safe.  You can't change your biography, but you can add to it using the "biography" command (see the biography helpfile here: http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Biography).  You can add as many biography entries as you like.  Staff can look at your biography entries whenever they want.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."