Newb Questions

Started by roobee, July 01, 2014, 11:02:36 PM

April 10, 2015, 03:30:33 PM #175 Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 03:33:00 PM by CodeMaster
Quote from: roobee on April 10, 2015, 02:56:00 PM
2. I've died once because someone initiated combat on me. Apparently, I can't take weapons from my belt when in combat. I can't remember, but I think I also couldn't equip weapons in my inventory. Am I supposed to walk around the city holding a knife in case someone attacks me? That feels unrealistic.

Just to add... there's a few ways for weapons and belts to interact.  if you put the item IN your belt, i.e.,

> put knife belt
You put your bone knife in your black leather belt.

then you have to first 'get knife belt' and then 'wield knife' to be armed.  If you are in combat, you will be penalized for 'get knife belt' and your opponent will get a free hit on you.

If the belt is a special kind of sheath belt (of which there are a few varieties), then 'draw knife belt' will work.  But this doesn't work with all belts.

But if you did this:

> wear knife
You hang your bone knife on your belt.

or this:

> she knife
You sheathe a bone knife.

Then you can just 'draw knife' and you'll have the weapon in your hand.

[edit:  actually, I'll add, that you can just 'draw .' and it will draw the next weapon hung on your belt.]
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

April 10, 2015, 03:57:55 PM #176 Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 03:59:55 PM by whitt
Ninja'd... removed duplicate post.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

April 11, 2015, 03:43:36 PM #177 Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 03:49:12 PM by Jihelu
Er, ignore this. I figured it out

So Tuluk is closing. I have not had much experience with it, and am thinking of retiring my character (or moving my current character there, but it might be difficult for IC roleplaying reasons) so I can play there before it is shut. Is Tuluk different enough from Allanak that I, as a new player, could notice the different experience without poring hours in it every day before the deadline?

Hey Nyr, how do I eat those cockroaches on the floor? I can't find them.

Quote from: roobee on April 13, 2015, 11:00:13 PM
So Tuluk is closing. I have not had much experience with it, and am thinking of retiring my character (or moving my current character there, but it might be difficult for IC roleplaying reasons) so I can play there before it is shut. Is Tuluk different enough from Allanak that I, as a new player, could notice the different experience without poring hours in it every day before the deadline?

You'd probably notice it pretty quick. A few minutes, maybe an hour at the outside there should do the trick. Have fun!

Quote from: roobee on April 16, 2015, 10:23:48 PM
Hey Nyr, how do I eat those cockroaches on the floor? I can't find them.

It's a joke about how city elves often spend a lot of time in jail, and there are cockroaches in some jail cells.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Haven't loged on Armageddon MUD for a long time and i am curious why Tuluk is currently off limits? It has been destroyed? Or Muk Utep decided that Tuluk is not for outsiders?

That doesn't really answer the question. It sounds like this person is asking: "What would my *character* know about why he can't go to Tuluk?"

The help files "Tuluk" and "Tuluk Details" don't mention anything at all about anything happening that would explain, ICly, why there was any kind of exodus at all. Realizing that the city is still virtually open for virtual citizens, there still has to be *something* that would cause Morin's logging camp to suddenly become somewhat of a public trade hub (among other things).
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

May 03, 2015, 02:32:18 PM #186 Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 02:46:44 PM by solera

Shifted to a more relevant thread.

Quote from: Lizzie on May 03, 2015, 09:53:55 AM
That doesn't really answer the question. It sounds like this person is asking: "What would my *character* know about why he can't go to Tuluk?"

The help files "Tuluk" and "Tuluk Details" don't mention anything at all about anything happening that would explain, ICly, why there was any kind of exodus at all. Realizing that the city is still virtually open for virtual citizens, there still has to be *something* that would cause Morin's logging camp to suddenly become somewhat of a public trade hub (among other things).

To try and not spoil ic things...though this might still do it and if so delete it all mighty helpers.
Short answer: Shits rough.
Long answer: Shits rough.

Find out IC is all well and good, if you're a player who understands the game world and has played in it. For the new player who hasn't ever played, who reads the docs, they will find NOTHING indicating that anything is going on, or has gone on, in Tuluk since the Lirathans and Jihaens were merged.

This is totally NOT helpful and counter-productive in attracting new players who might want to play in this fabled north, only to find out they can play a northerner, but not one that lives IN Tuluk. They can play someone who is FROM Tuluk, but not someone who is IN it. What do you tell the player whose character is FROM this city, but hasn't played in the past and has absolutely no knowledge of anything "new" that their CHARACTER would know about upon their showing up out of the Hall of Kings?

Not everyone reads the GDB, and not everyone reads each thread on the GDB, to learn about changes and integral facts that their characters might need to know about.

Hell I'm not rolling up a northerner for the same reason. I, the player, have no idea how to explain why my character doesn't live and work IN Tuluk, because I, the player, know nothing about what happened in Tuluk to make it no longer ICly playable. Maybe if there were rumors on the tavern boards everywhere ELSE - including the south, red storm, luir's, the rinth, and anywhere else that has tavern boards, at least we the players would have something to go by. Even if the rumors weren't true. But we have nothing. Zilch, nada. And new players won't be able to ask IC until after their character has already shown up in the game. By then it's too late.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I think the MUD should e-mail players of the news along with forum news.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I find it highly advisable to check out the main page and staff announcements at least weekly.
This goes doubly so when being away from the game for a long time.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Maybe it's not possible, but if the history page was updated with some information of what's going on, people wouldn't be as confused. That is if said people read the history page on a fairly regular basis. If the IG plot is one that plans on being continued by staff with a possible opening of Tuluk for play sometime in the near future, I can understand why this hasn't been done. However, I believe that with Tuluki's PCs being displaced and travelling over the Known, that sooner or later this plot is going to be known to all PCs eventually, which confuses me as to why it cannot be known OOC'dly.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

So, a friend and I started a little while ago and really love the game so far. We are currently playing rangers with the nomad subguild, but haven't been able to really get into hunting at all.  I was wondering if anyone could point us in the right direction, since we have basically resorted to foraging for stones to survive so far. We have slingshot s, and plenty of small stones so far...

And maybe, any general advice for newbie rangers? We don't really know of any clans for rangers, especially out in the outpost, or really how to do much of anything beyond foraging for stone, and simple interaction

Quote from: Xax on May 09, 2015, 03:18:36 AM
So, a friend and I started a little while ago and really love the game so far. We are currently playing rangers with the nomad subguild, but haven't been able to really get into hunting at all.  I was wondering if anyone could point us in the right direction, since we have basically resorted to foraging for stones to survive so far. We have slingshot s, and plenty of small stones so far...

And maybe, any general advice for newbie rangers? We don't really know of any clans for rangers, especially out in the outpost, or really how to do much of anything beyond foraging for stone, and simple interaction

Joining a clan's always a good options, especially for players that are just starting out, so there are more experienced players that can teach you the ropes. You also won't need to worry about dying of starvation and thirst. The GMH's always a good option for hunters. If you're at the Outpost, you can try Kurac, and then there's Salarr, and Kadius, both of which are hiring hunters. There's also the T'zai Byn, who I think is more focused on the more combative side of things.

If your character's iffy for some reason of joining a clan, try asking around the bar, and see if you can hook up with other independents, but do so at your own risk. I'd really recommend joining a clan.
I ruin immershunz.

May 09, 2015, 04:22:29 AM #194 Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 04:24:49 AM by hyzhenhok
The Byn and maybe Kurac are probably the best for learning the game. That's where you're most likely to find a clan culture of mentorship and group training, which is great for learning the game. These are military clans, but a ranger is always welcome. The problem is they'll ask you not to go out into the wilderness alone (for your own good, of course) so if you want to be doing rangery things right away, it can be a bit of a downer. Kurac is located in the Outpost, so you don't have to travel to Allanak to join them.

Otherwise, your best bet is to find someone who seems like an experienced hunter and try to get them to mentor you. I would not recommend joining Salarr or Kadius unless you know for sure there is an experienced hunter player already there who is willing to devote time and energy to showing you the ropes. Experienced PCs in the Byn and Kurac are (mostly) obligated to train up recruits due to a strict schedule; in Salarr and Kadius, they are not.

As previously stated for new players joining a clan is a helpful thing. Currently I think also as others have stated Kurac Fist and the Byn are your best options. Both are known to travel the world (so you'll learn your way around). Both are heavily focused for training of soldiers (I know you said you are rangers, but rangers can make damn good soldiers too). Both will teach you to survive outside in the wilderness. Though as has been stated they both require that you do not leave the gates without higher ranking members around (this is for safety purposes, not a punishment).

If you join either of these or any other clan the important thing is not to get discouraged. Which is quite possible because sparring against characters who have been fighting longer than you will have your character feeling beat up all the time. Also, sometimes being able to socialize with people outside the clan can be difficult.

I would recommend trying Kurac first for the following reasons:
1) The Fist is free to join, the Byn is not.
2) Being at the Post, your more apt to be able to socialize with a lot large variety of players as people come through there, that ordinarily would not go into Allanak.
3) If you're playing ranger/nomad you might be set up as a tribal sort of characters (big cities can be scary and imposing for those who have lived in the wilderness for a long time, if not all of their lives).

Are there drawbacks to joining Kurac where there aren't to the Byn? Yes there are:
1) With the closing of Tuluk most are gathering in Allanak so you'll be able to socialize and have more people around at various times than you would in Luir's, however since most of your time with the Byn is going to be spent in training or running contracts, I don't see much socialization outside of the Byn (Unless things have changed since I was there and depending on your play times you'll probably hardly leave the compound, unless you're going on a contract).

Either way you choose... Welcome to Armageddon and remember to have fun!
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

If you'd like to stay the 'hunter' route, I'm not exactly certain how things work outside of Tuluk but ripperino, you should get really adjusted to using hunt. Figure out what won't run from you, but still won't kill you, and go beat it's shit in with spears.

Bows and arrows are expensive until you can find someone to make them for you. So try to not use those. Slings are really only good for helping to level that skill a bit.

If you join the Byn, you and the Byn know that it's fine , and expected, that you part company after the training is done. The training will give you a better chance of surviving beasts that hunt you, and introduce you to a range of nobodies, some bodies, and clanned or indie employees. Southern, alas. I'd look for northie groups too, that seemed to share your playtime.
If you wanted to commit yourself to House Kurac, I'd highly recommend that as a clan for "rangers", from my experience there.
Forage stones? You are foraging for real food too?

Solera brings up a great point. You should be foraging for food and water when you can. In fact I would forage for that over stones any day (especially on days that you are hungry and thirsty).

Usefulness of slingshots varies. I've seen people take out some tough critters with a slingshot (Those characters may have had a high archery skill, but I have no way of really knowing) so don't discount that as just a way to level the skill (and using it just as a way to level the skill is pretty poor RP).

Bows and arrows can be extremely expensive. Bows of course are a one time cost, however arrows you will be constantly needing if you go as solely archery. If you decide to stay on your own and want to go with bows and arrows I'd suggest befriending someone that can make arrows at least and try to get a really super good deal on them from that friend.

Also, try not to collaborate too much with your friend outside of the game if it's in regards to your characters. That's a bad habit to develop.