Newb Questions

Started by roobee, July 01, 2014, 11:02:36 PM

Welcome to the game. Please feel free to post a thousand questions here. Metekillot will answer every single one of them with an applicable internet meme.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: megp on February 12, 2015, 02:55:00 PM
Quote from: Talia on February 12, 2015, 02:35:56 PM

You might have, but it will be difficult for players to advise you on whether you did or not. However, if you put in a request to staff, then staff can look at your PC in game and see if there is a problem, what might have caused it, and can fix it for you.

And it's not a stupid question, our chargen system is pretty complex and even veteran players frequently make mistakes.

Actually, I was just coming back here to edit this question! I looked at myself in a different way and have the tattoos - I am very sorry for that!!

Thank you so much for helping me! :)
[/quote]

Yes, the equipment command only shows worn equipment, while if someone looks at you, they see your tattoo :)
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

So if you can't use a weapon, it says 'you can't use this'/you don't think. But can you use it in two hands? Or does it have to say 'This is a two handed weapon'. Or does that just indicated it's normally two handed? Asking so I can check to see if I can use a huge ass sword or something.
Because if I can't use it one handed  is there a way to check two? So many questions, so little helper chat cause its 1 am.

Quote from: Jihelu on February 19, 2015, 02:45:02 AM
So if you can't use a weapon, it says 'you can't use this'/you don't think. But can you use it in two hands? Or does it have to say 'This is a two handed weapon'. Or does that just indicated it's normally two handed? Asking so I can check to see if I can use a huge ass sword or something.
Because if I can't use it one handed  is there a way to check two? So many questions, so little helper chat cause its 1 am.

if a weapon is too heavy for you to wield in one hand, but can be held in either one hand (if strong enough) or both hands it should automatically be held in two when you try to wield it to my knowledge

February 19, 2015, 08:01:06 AM #154 Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 02:12:16 PM by Semper
If it says "you can't wield this", than yes, you can't wield it with your current stats.
If it tells you that it is a two-handed weapon with "assess", then you can only wield it with two hands. You can wield one-handed weapons (like a bastard sword or even a dagger) with two hands with the same syntax as two-handed weapons (etwo).

When you draw a two-handed weapon though, I think the default is that you have to draw with two hands free. One-handed weapons are defaulted to one hand when you draw. draw sword two will draw that weapon with two hands.

(hehe, been a while. corrected)
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

No, if it says it's too heavy for you to use, then there is a chance you can "etwo" it.  You have to gamble and buy the item.

If it says it's a two handed weapon, then you must use two hands to wield it - even if its weight is low enough that you could use it with one hand.

If you want to draw a weapon from your belt or back and have it end up in both hands, use:

> draw broadsword two

That way if it's too heavy you won't just get a message that says as much, you'll actually draw it.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Quote from: CodeMaster on February 19, 2015, 11:40:00 AM
No, if it says it's too heavy for you to use, then there is a chance you can "etwo" it.  You have to gamble and buy the item.

If it says it's a two handed weapon, then you must use two hands to wield it - even if its weight is low enough that you could use it with one hand.

If you want to draw a weapon from your belt or back and have it end up in both hands, use:

> draw broadsword two

That way if it's too heavy you won't just get a message that says as much, you'll actually draw it.
Lets say I failed the gamble of 'Can I draw this weapon or not'.
And I draw with etwo, for a weapon that normally says 'I can't lift this'. Will it tell me as I draw it with two hands or will I just suck really hard ass with the weapon and assume I should get a new one?

Quote from: Jihelu on February 19, 2015, 03:07:38 PM
Quote from: CodeMaster on February 19, 2015, 11:40:00 AM

> draw broadsword two

Lets say I failed the gamble of 'Can I draw this weapon or not'.
And I draw with etwo, for a weapon that normally says 'I can't lift this'. Will it tell me as I draw it with two hands or will I just suck really hard ass with the weapon and assume I should get a new one?

Alright so you went:

> draw broadsword two

It will just say this:

You draw a bone broadsword.

It won't tell you whether your character is uncomfortable with it, or even which hand you drew it in (or if you drew it in both hands).  But since you did "draw broadsword two", when you "look self" you'll see this:

<both hands>    a bone broadsword

To answer your specific question, I don't believe you will suck with the weapon even though it's so heavy that you couldn't otherwise 'ep' or 'es' it (equip-primary and equip-secondary, analogs of etwo).  But I can't speak to that level of knowledge.

The biggest things that are going to affect whether you're good with that weapon or not is your "two handed" and "slashing" skills (or "piercing" if it were a spear, for instance), which you get better at by practicing.  You should also check your encumbrance (by typing 'stat'), and make sure you're at a reasonable level, or you'll start sucking in combat too.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Hey, I was wondering if the direction sense skill actually increase? and if it does in what ways does it do it in game?

Quote from: Trillmendous on March 30, 2015, 03:35:18 PM
Hey, I was wondering if the direction sense skill actually increase? and if it does in what ways does it do it in game?

All skill have a chance of increasing every time you fail with that skill.  So in this case, every time you lose your bearings and go the wrong way.

Like other skills, the higher your direction sense, the less likely you are to fail (eg. lose your bearings and go the wrong way).
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Quote from: Trillmendous on March 30, 2015, 03:35:18 PM

Yes, it is a skill that increases like most other skills. You can see its progress in SKILLS.

Direction Sense helps you navigate dark and storms. If you are walking around in a storm, you will see "You lose your bearings" and you will go a random direction. With good Direction Sense, this does not happen. Rangers start out with a high Direction Sense, which is why they make good guides and the like. A few subguilds get it, which you can see from reading their descriptions. Of course, a subguild will never have as good of Direction Sense as a Ranger.

If you plan on travelling around in the desert, I personally find this skill a must-have, at least to some degree.

March 30, 2015, 03:56:05 PM #161 Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:00:45 PM by Trillmendous
ah I see I think i'm confusing direction sense with the DIRECTIONS command.

I noticed i had direction sense skill and i figured that was the same thing as the directions command.

March 30, 2015, 03:57:26 PM #162 Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:00:00 PM by Trillmendous
double post, sorry

Quote from: Trillmendous on March 30, 2015, 03:57:26 PM

I noticed i had direction sense skill and i figured that was the same thing as the directions command.

Yes, two different things entirely. DIRECTIONS tells you where to go for common locations, and Direction Sense helps you walk through storms/darkness. They have nothing to do with one another.

Quote from: Jeax on March 30, 2015, 04:00:46 PM

Yes, two different things entirely. DIRECTIONS tells you where to go for common locations, and Direction Sense helps you walk through storms/darkness. They have nothing to do with one another.

thanks for the help, with that being said. Here's just a personal question for you or anyone else that wants to answer it. How long did it actually take you guys to start getting around the maps(whether it's the city, or the desert) and actually know where you are heading.

Quote from: Trillmendous on March 30, 2015, 04:02:58 PM

thanks for the help, with that being said. Here's just a personal question for you or anyone else that wants to answer it. How long did it actually take you guys to start getting around the maps(whether it's the city, or the desert) and actually know where you are heading.

Cities - About 2 weeks, though I did make sure to map them out myself on graph paper within the first day or so of playing there.
Outdoors - Hah. I still don't know 5 years in. I still use the maps I've made myself.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

any ideas where I can find maps like these?

Quote from: Trillmendous on March 30, 2015, 04:19:16 PM
You can't. Map sharing is against the rules. My suggestion would be get a piece of graph paper and start walking around IC.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

For Allanak and Tuluk, there are maps in the 'help map tuluk' and 'help map allanak' helpfiles.
Murder your darlings.

But only in your PC's home town.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: bcw81 on March 30, 2015, 04:27:59 PM
Quote from: Trillmendous on March 30, 2015, 04:19:16 PM
You can't. Map sharing is against the rules. My suggestion would be get a piece of graph paper and start walking around IC.

that's going to be a bummer for a while haha. Ill guess I'll just do as you suggested

If you'd prefer to do an excel map rather than a paper one, I can give you a tiny sample to get you started.  It's basically a map of the interior of the Gaj and the street outside, nothing IC sensitive, but it should give you an idea of what's possible in terms of excel mapping.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Rules for making a map:
THINGS ARE WEIRD.
Not everything is 1 to 1.
Sometimes a building you go into from one side is a road on the other.

1. What is the ip address and port number of Armageddon? I am trying to connect with MushClient for the first time.
2. I've died once because someone initiated combat on me. Apparently, I can't take weapons from my belt when in combat. I can't remember, but I think I also couldn't equip weapons in my inventory. Am I supposed to walk around the city holding a knife in case someone attacks me? That feels unrealistic.

April 10, 2015, 03:09:59 PM #174 Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 03:12:54 PM by Beethoven
1. 206.72.201.199 port:4050

2. The command for taking a weapon out of your belt is 'draw [weapon]'. That sounds like an unfortunate death. Sorry it went down that way, and better luck next time. You should be able to equip weapons in your inventory during combat...if you were having problems, there was probably either a typo going on or a syntax issue. The syntax is wield (or ep) [weapon], es [weapon] or etwo [weapon].