Newb Questions

Started by roobee, July 01, 2014, 11:02:36 PM

when one of my skills dings into 'master', can I still continue to improve in that skill?  Like, are there gradations of 'master' ?  Or am I maxed out as soon as it dings?
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Yes. it continues to go up.

You most likely still have a little room to improve, but there isn't another word bracket above 'master'.

Well, "little" being 1/5th of the skills progression, right?

Potentially, yes.
3/21/16 Never Forget

January 29, 2016, 03:48:00 AM #280 Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 04:03:37 AM by 650Booger
so how do you know, when you are maxed out?  do you continue to learn new stuff as you progress through the Master rank?
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: 650Booger on January 29, 2016, 03:48:00 AM
so how do you know, when you are maxed out?  do you continue to learn new stuff as you progress through the Master rank?

It really depends. And generally, it doesn't matter. If you're talking about master crafting - then once you hit that "Master" level of skill, you are eligible to submit master-crafted items. You don't have to be at the highest percentage available to you, you just have to hit that benchmark.

Supposing each "level" is worth 10 points, with Master being worth 91-100, inclusively...

Two duplicate NPCs, with exactly the same hours played, exactly the same gear in exactly the same condition, exactly the same stats - but one NPC having Master bludgeon at 91 and the other at 100 - the one with the 100 will knock you out just as easily as the one with 91.

That's really all you need to know about the exact measurement of each level.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on January 29, 2016, 08:36:17 AM
Quote from: 650Booger on January 29, 2016, 03:48:00 AM

It really depends. And generally, it doesn't matter. If you're talking about master crafting - then once you hit that "Master" level of skill, you are eligible to submit master-crafted items. You don't have to be at the highest percentage available to you, you just have to hit that benchmark.

Supposing each "level" is worth 10 points, with Master being worth 91-100, inclusively...

Two duplicate NPCs, with exactly the same hours played, exactly the same gear in exactly the same condition, exactly the same stats - but one NPC having Master bludgeon at 91 and the other at 100 - the one with the 100 will knock you out just as easily as the one with 91.

That's really all you need to know about the exact measurement of each level.

I don't agree with this at all. Often times the last 20% (not 10%) is what stops you from falling when you climb, or guarantees a hit with an arrow, or make backstab actually useful and not a deathtrap. It is not some piddly amount that doesn't need to be worried about, it's 20% of your total skill-gain.

new advice: you will receive a lot of conflicting code theories from players. Just do what makes sense for your character and don't worry too much about being uLTraMaxxEd

On a similar note, I've noticed a trend in combat where I clobber some mob down to "terrible" or below, and then it turns around and kicks my ass and I have to run for it.

It happens too often for me to believe it's just luck. Is there some mechanic I don't understand kicking in?

Mobs tend to get stronger the weaker they get. PCs follow the opposite trend.

It's the old "cornered rat fights hardest" logic.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on January 29, 2016, 02:52:38 PM

[/quote

I been arguing with my buddy (also new) that this was a thing. I'm glad to find out it's not in my head. :)

Never noticed that. Could very well be in your head.

Well then it's in BadSkeelz's head too. :)

Quote from: Delirium on January 29, 2016, 02:26:23 PM
You will receive a lot of conflicting code theories from players.

:D

The only thing we can be absolutely sure of is that the world of Zalanthas is dangerous, and never stops being dangerous. Act accordingly.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on January 29, 2016, 02:52:38 PM

I get this too I swear.

As soon as a NPC drops around 30%ish they start landed hits to the neck.

I can never tell if it's just in my head or terrible terrible luck.

I vaguely remember a staff member commenting on this back in the day. I beleive it was a coded quirk of npc's and skilling up, essentially they can skill up endlessly with no regard for wisdom based progression. Hence the longer you fight an npc the stronger it is going to get. I very well may be misremembering some stuff but I'm fairly certain that is in fact the case for npc's.

But cornered rat fights hardest, I like that take and it's easy to adapt into a hunters mentality.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Majikal's correct, NPC's and creatures have no limit on combat skills AFAIK, so the more combat one of them see's, the stronger it gets.

I remember the discussion myself, I believe it started after some twinking lead to more than a few creatures in the Northern grasslands becoming excessively dangerous for what they are. Gurth's that could roll over a fairly decent warrior and the like.

It also lead to a few fairly well equipped and frightening raptors if I remember.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Just making sure. I believe non-human nobles do not exist, correct?

Non human nobles are not a thing, you are correct.

here, let me help you.

let's say i have the skill "cabbage-virus"

which is a skill that transforms people into cabbage.

i have novice, apprentice, journeyman, advanced, master.

let's say cabbage-virus caps at 95

at 1-18 it is novice
at 19-36 it is apprentice
at 37-54 it is journeyman
at 55-72 it is advanced
at 73-95 it is master

something like that.

so at 73 it dings "master' in my skills list.

from 73, it has aaaaall the way to 95 to truly "max" out.

that is how skills work.

consequently my cabbage-virus skill is actually 172, so.

you're doomed.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.