Newb Questions

Started by roobee, July 01, 2014, 11:02:36 PM

I am a merchant.
1) The merchant documentation page says to find a city's/town's traders. Are these just the shops of the town? if not, like they are real people, where do I find them?
2) Does my character only grow hungrier and thirstier when I am logged on?
3) How do I find a House Kurac representative in game? I wish to join.

4) Does the game keep track of all the npcs/do they exist until killed? For example, if I give a beggar 1 mill obsidian will he stop begging? Or if I pickpocket an NPC where they still be missing that item next game year?

Quote from: roobee on July 01, 2014, 11:02:36 PM
I am a merchant.
1) The merchant documentation page says to find a city's/town's traders. Are these just the shops of the town? if not, like they are real people, where do I find them?
2) Does my character only grow hungrier and thirstier when I am logged on?
3) How do I find a House Kurac representative in game? I wish to join.

Welcome newbie! :)
1) The docs are likely referring to both shops and PC traders.  As a merchant you'll be able to make use of a lot of materials the shops have to offer, so getting to know what merchants have which materials available to you is a good thing to do.  As for finding PCs your character will likely want to interact with, the local taverns of the city you're in are a good place to start.  You might consider befriending PCs who say they are hunters, for example, so you can purchase materials from them.  Also, simply asking around never hurts.  Mention that you're a trader who's looking to find some contacts to do business with and others will likely be able to give you some names of who you might wish to be seeking out in-game.
2) Yes.  If you're hungry and you log out for three days, you won't come back to being dead of starvation.
3) House Kurac is a merchant house known world wide and often has folks in each of the two major cities doing business.  They have control over Luir's Outpost though, so that would be a good place to be looking.  Again though, you can ask around in game for Kuraci contacts, get some names from other PCs and then start your interacting with Kurac that way.

4) No, the game doesn't work like that.  Each "room" or area of the game has a saved state.  This saved state is refreshed periodically.  So if you kill an npc on the road, he'll be gone until the room "reloads" - so yeah, stuff comes back.  But for the sake of our imagination, it's best to pretend it's a different guy who's begging, etc.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

thanks. also,
5) How do I copy and paste multiple lines from Armageddon? I need it so I can paste what shops sell and at what prices onto a text document.

Quote from: roobee on July 03, 2014, 03:57:18 PM
thanks. also,
5) How do I copy and paste multiple lines from Armageddon? I need it so I can paste what shops sell and at what prices onto a text document.

This depends on your client, not on Armageddon itself. Some clients allow you to copy text after double clicking, but if that doesn't cut it, I suggest you switch clients. Mudlet is a good choice.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Welcome, and good luck! It can be difficult to figure things out on your own, so a GMH, the city Militia, the T'zai Byn, and other such clans can be good places to get the hang of things, while their rules will tend to keep you from an untimely demise, and the protection they offer your PC from certain easy deaths is great! You'll likely meet PCs there that can give you a good run-down on do's and don'ts to keep you alive longer, which may help with your next PC. As a non-combatant, you'll have the added benefit of learning from the mistakes of others, although certain code oddities may still get you if you are unfortunate enough to learn the hard way, but don't despair, a new character concept, while a little overwhelming at first, can be quite liberating, and after a few you'll find yourself getting in the swing of things a bit quicker. I find interacting with others to be an excellent aid in fleshing out a new PC, and just adding more quirks and bits of history to my PC to suit the situation, until I have a fully worked out concept, starting from a sort of cardboard cut-out.

And I add this disclaimer: I'm also a newb, so my advice may be junk.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

July 04, 2014, 02:29:42 AM #7 Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 02:31:33 AM by solera
Quote from: roobee on July 03, 2014, 03:57:18 PM
thanks. also,

When I used G mud , it allowed me to select the text, and ctrl-c.
Mushclient I can just use rt mouse.

Better still , switch your log function on.
Honestly, I wouldn't be without my logs, for writing reports, reimbursement requests, , bios if I did them  :( ,  and just plain remembering, especially conversations.  If you are a crafter, you'll need them for Mastercraft requests too.

how do I turn on my log function?

Depends on the client. With MushClient, it's shift+control+j or you can use the mouse to click on file>log session.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I was wondering if items here decay? As in, after a set amount of time they 'dissapear'? Thanks!

No, however if the game server crashes, or is restarted all thos items will be lost if they're not in a [Save] room. This happens roughly once every two weeks. Sometime more (week). Sometimes less. (month)

Quote from: Azerick on July 15, 2014, 06:08:22 PM
Thank you muchly!

The one exception to this I'm aware of is that corpses will decay and dissapear.

Quote from: Narf on July 15, 2014, 06:33:53 PM
Quote from: Azerick on July 15, 2014, 06:08:22 PM
Thank you muchly!

The one exception to this I'm aware of is that corpses will decay and dissapear.

True, but their items drop I'm pretty sure.

sometimes you'll just come across a field of boots.
Whatever happens, happens.

Is there a way to extend the length of my line? I keep writing out things and then they get truncated and its a little annoying, any help?

Quote from: Azerick on July 17, 2014, 07:19:16 PM
Is there a way to extend the length of my line? I keep writing out things and then they get truncated and its a little annoying, any help?

Break things up a little more. Each action has a character limit. Some are longer than others. I'm pretty sure there's no way to simply increase the amount of characters in a command.  :-\
Alea iacta est

Quote from: racurtne on July 17, 2014, 08:13:41 PM
Quote from: Azerick on July 17, 2014, 07:19:16 PM

Break things up a little more. Each action has a character limit. Some are longer than others. I'm pretty sure there's no way to simply increase the amount of characters in a command.  :-\

There is no way to increase the amount of characters in a command.

But are you asking about when you're submitting your character description and background?  In that case, you can break it up every line (or wherever you want really) and hit .i at the end to format it.  However, if you're talking about when you're doing emotes and things, you can't make the lines longer no.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

You mean .f to format it?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

No, I meant .i because .i also formats it and it happens to be what I use.  If .f works as well, happy day!, but that's not what I meant.

I was not talking about descriptions, apologies for obscurity, I was talking about when I "say", "tell" ect. it crops the line, but from previous answers I gather there is no way to make me able to say more at once and I'll have to stop writing walls of text javascript:void(0);

I still do it all the time, I was poorly trained by MUSHes I think.  Most of the time I just do >say .... (part that was cut off).

Heh, I blame my old MUD. 

Another question! When I pass out, what happens?

Elves pick your pockets and you can run away from your computer, pee and grab a drink...oh but fist you have to groan and feel your blood pressure spike.

Well that's what happens when I pass out.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."