Author Topic: The 3-minute start-up guide to "what you would and should know"  (Read 5001 times)

Incognito

This is further along the lines of my earlier post "The Concise Guide to ArmageddonMUD for new Players"

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33910.msg416321.html#msg416321

In today's age of graphic based games and MMORPGs, we have a very small window of capturing the attention of newcomers to Arm, and retaining them. With that in mind, I'd like to suggest that Staff come up with a summary of what a new player should/would know about the Known World today, without directing him to the detailed and lengthy documentation (to begin with). Once the newcomer is hooked to the game, I'm sure he/she will take time out to study the documentation on their own, at their own pace.

Here's something that could get a newcomer started with the basic information he/she would need, to get them started with their first PC:

• Zalanthas is a desert world. Water is scarce. Life is hard. Survival is difficult.
  • The Known World is huge, but for political references, it is divided into the North and the South.
  • The City-State of Tuluk is to the north, and the City-State of Allanak is to the south. Both these City-States are constantly at loggerheads with each other, and currently in a state of high alert after a recent major battle.
  • Both Tuluk and Allanak have a hierarchy of Noble Houses (some of which are open to play) and are overseen by Templars (also open to play from time to time).
  • Magick exists on Zalanthas. In most places it is frowned upon, except Allanak where most magickers are allowed to exist and practise their arts.
  • Some people are hated more than others and hunted down whenever discovered, these include Psioncists, Sorcerors and Nilazis (Void Mages)
  • A variety of races live in harmony (most of the time) on Zalanthas, including Humans, Elves, Half-Elves, Desert Elves, Dwarves, Half-Giants, Muls, to name just a few.
  • Many other sentient races exist on Zalanthas, including Gith, Mantis, Halflings, Giants, again just to name a few.
  • Trade and crafting is a thriving business on Zalanthas, and is mainly controlled by the Great Merchant Houses - Kadius, Kurac, Nenyuk and Salarr.
  • There are many smaller independent tribal or dune traders who exist in smaller numbers, and who also flourish on Zalanthas.
  • The T'zai Byn Company is the premier mercenary group that operates pan-Zalanthas, and takes in members of almost every race and profession into it's fold.
  • Besides Tuluk City and Allanak City, there are two other major centers of civilization - Luir's Outpost and Red Storm Village.

This is just a starting point, not the end product.

If players can submit their "points" here, perhaps some Staff member can piece it all together neatly and clean it up, so that it's cohesive and comprehensive, and something that can either be emailed to people who create new accounts, or, new players can get directed to it on the GDB.

This will allow someone who has no clue about Arm and it's history to get a quick start-up info blurb, and atleast know what the heck people are talking about ICLY. Like I mentioned somewhere before - we're living in the age where everyone expects "instant gratification" - and its rare for newcomers to actually take the time to read the documentation. They're much rather prefer to make their first PC, get it approved, and dive into the game. So, lets give them something they can use to give them a bare-bones skeletal idea of the game. Who knows, we might actually end up retaining more players, or even attracting more players from other muds, if the "blurb" is attractive enough to them.

The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

whitt

Re: The 3-minute start-up guide to "what you would and should know"
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 04:21:01 PM »
Magick exists on Zalanthas. In most places it is frowned upon, except Allanak where most magickers are tightly controlled by the Templarate who allow them to practise their arts.

Suggestion above
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

ShaLeah

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 05:27:03 PM »
A variety of races live in harmony (most of the time) on Zalanthas, including Humans, Elves, Half-Elves, Desert Elves, Dwarves, Half-Giants, Muls, to name just a few.

Harmony? Absolutely not.

This is like the quickstart guide I suggested a decade ago that was on the website until the change but much less detailed. We definitely need something like this.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

bcw81

• Helper
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 06:19:23 PM »
A variety of races live in harmony (most of the time) on Zalanthas, including Humans, Elves, Half-Elves, Desert Elves, Dwarves, Half-Giants, Muls, to name just a few.

Harmony? Absolutely not.

This is like the quickstart guide I suggested a decade ago that was on the website until the change but much less detailed. We definitely need something like this.
http://www.armageddon.org/intro/walkthrough.php

It's on the website.

A female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

ShaLeah

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 06:25:21 PM »

Harmony? Absolutely not.

It's on the website.

The Quickstart was something different. It was like this above just more detailed. Mentioned racism, water, magicks, the cities, sexism etc. Dealt with mindset more than mechanics.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Incognito

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 05:12:17 AM »

It's on the website.

I just checked - the Walkthrough is more OOC based - about logging into the game, buying stuff, wearing stuff, inventory and equipment, stats etc.

What I was aiming at - was a more IC info blurb.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 07:59:07 AM »
Do you mean like the What You Know page under the "Intro" tab on the main website?
A Kuraci regular shouts, in sirihish:
     "Bad move, fool!"
A Kuraci regular slashes a filthy grey rat on its body.

ShaLeah

whitt

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 09:53:40 AM »
Found it

Mr. Peabody would be proud of that way back machine!

ETA - Which is to say this is awesome and should not be lost to time...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:20:01 AM by whitt »
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Incognito

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 12:48:10 PM »
Found it
http://old.armageddon.org/intro/quickstart.html

This is exactly the sort of thing I was aiming for - I guess if someone (Staff or collaborating players) came up with an updated quick-start guide, it'd be a nice thing for newbies to read. The one on the oldarmageddon website is outdated.

Supreme

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 08:04:54 PM »
As a new player, this would have been very helpful.  On a couple of points, it still is.  I'd like to see some OOC basics added to this, as well.  This place is in dire need of some modicum of accessibility.  I consider myself a pretty hardcore role-player, and this has been, as of yet, the least accessible experience I've had with any kind of online role-play.  I know a number of people that would be interested in the setting and role-play, but there's no way the MUD would retain them if I drew them in its current state.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 08:31:03 PM »
Welcome to the game Supreme!

What sort of accessibility to you mean specifically? Like stock backgrounds/descriptions for new players to just jump into the game with? Or are there certain things you think would be off putting upon a new player going through account/character creation? Which OOC basics?

Xeran Van Houten

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 08:34:53 PM »
As a new player, this would have been very helpful.  On a couple of points, it still is.  I'd like to see some OOC basics added to this, as well.  This place is in dire need of some modicum of accessibility.  I consider myself a pretty hardcore role-player, and this has been, as of yet, the least accessible experience I've had with any kind of online role-play.  I know a number of people that would be interested in the setting and role-play, but there's no way the MUD would retain them if I drew them in its current state.

You're going to have elaborate if you want anyone to understand or pay attention. The website, help files and gdb are all pretty "accessible". The walk-through(s), quickstart, and the location detail help pages give plenty of basic information to start the game, as well as having things like Mansa's newb guide(s). It's a helluva lot more than some non-rpi muds have on their websites or in-game.
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

Supreme

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 09:56:44 PM »
You're going to have elaborate if you want anyone to understand or pay attention. The website, help files and gdb are all pretty "accessible". The walk-through(s), quickstart, and the location detail help pages give plenty of basic information to start the game, as well as having things like Mansa's newb guide(s). It's a helluva lot more than some non-rpi muds have on their websites or in-game.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not trying to be the new guy that shows up and tells people they're doing it all wrong.  That said, it's pretty easy to think, once you're familiar with something, that it should be easy to learn, but with all the help files, the walk-throughs, the quickstart, and the location help pages, there were some pretty obvious gaps that took a few mental leaps for me that I don't think a lot of other players would be patient enough to make.  I think that's pretty visible by the number of new players that make it to 20 hours of gameplay being under 5%.  Given the fall-off in player retention from the first to second hour being 50%, and the second through sixth hours being 0%, as of last month's survey, I'd say the experience of first hour is the most vitally in need of change, and is arguably the only one that can be controlled by the MUD instead of by the players.

Again, I'll say that I'm new here and that I don't want to be an asshole.  These are just my most basic, step-by-step thoughts on problems I had within my first couple of hours on the server.

I feel like the character creation system would be much better if it were done forum-side, or with a web-based applet.  Anything that gives someone a more familiar text editor is better than the current character application system.  Given each app is individually reviewed, I don't think it would really add much workload to the staff once it was developed.  Also, there are holes in the help files and web guides.  For instance, the walkthrough tells you how to put something in your backpack, but not how to take it out.  That could easily be remedied.  It resulted in me flipping through and skimming a few pages, plus taking a mental leap or two before figuring out the basics of inventory, shopping, travel, and using my torch.

Just because something is a help file away doesn't mean it couldn't be more easily presented.  These bullet points in the original post are a prime example.  The help file for light, for instance, is multiple paragraphs long.  It really doesn't need to be, since if someone looked up the help file for light, they already know they're surrounded by darkness and can't see anything.  They just want to know how to light their torch; something I had to figure out how to do on my own, as the help file was truncated and I didn't know to press return with a blank command line to receive more of the help file, a fact that I had to learn from contacting a helper and waiting a few hours -- as someone who's played MUDs before, MORE is the command I'm familiar with to receive more of a file, which, of course, returned nothing.  On the other hand, as someone who's played MUDs before, I used "wield torch," and it worked.  That said, a brand new player wouldn't know how to receive more of the help file, or a common command for equipping an item, leaving them lost in the dark in more ways than one.  "HELP TORCH" could instead return a simplified help file that covered the basic commands on how to use the items.  So could "HELP BACKPACK," a help file that does not exist or redirect to another help file.  I may have more suggestions along those lines as I continue to play.

Anyway, my main point wasn't that what's there is somehow broken or bad.  It could just be presented in a more-easily digested format.  I hope that sounds reasonable, as I don't mean to be anything other than that.  If I didn't like what I've seen so far, I wouldn't be here posting my thoughts.

TL;DR - Character creation is a bit alien, and could use a text-editor that's more familiar than stone, a hammer, and a chisel.  Help files and web guides need to plug some holes and could do with some simplification.  A new player doesn't want to read paragraphs and take ten minutes to figure every little tidbit out, when it could be delivered in a bullet-point format.  You hook a new player with some basic accessibility, and then they'll read through all the documentation and lore.

Edited for errors.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 09:12:55 AM by Supreme »

Rahnevyn

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 12:07:25 AM »
Thanks for the honest feedback, Supreme. Web-based character creation is something that would undoubtedly help; I know it's been discussed before. I am not a coder, though, so I can't make any promises on that front.

What I can say is that I liked your suggestion about HELP BACKPACK, so it now redirects to the HELP CONTAINER file. I looked at HELP LIGHT as well, but I couldn't see a way to slim it down much without removing useful info. Anyone have any suggestions?
Quote from: Rock
Scissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

Riya OniSenshi

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 02:03:22 AM »
Mansa's guide has most things condensed into it.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

bcw81

• Helper
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 02:43:34 AM »
Thanks for the honest feedback, Supreme. Web-based character creation is something that would undoubtedly help; I know it's been discussed before. I am not a coder, though, so I can't make any promises on that front.

What I can say is that I liked your suggestion about HELP BACKPACK, so it now redirects to the HELP CONTAINER file. I looked at HELP LIGHT as well, but I couldn't see a way to slim it down much without removing useful info. Anyone have any suggestions?
I would really like to see the afore linked page be a lot more visible on the webpage.

"] yer a wizard, oashi"

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 06:22:55 AM »
It (the link to the walkthrough with a link to PC creation on top before the walkthrough) could go on the front page like on the old site.

Nyr

• Red Fangs
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 08:50:09 AM »

I would really like to see the afore linked page be a lot more visible on the webpage.

Right now all introductory things are under "intro."  You click Intro, then "Walkthrough"; it is actually just as many clicks as it was on the old website.
Paint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

bcw81

• Helper
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 02:17:14 AM »

Right now all introductory things are under "intro."  You click Intro, then "Walkthrough"; it is actually just as many clicks as it was on the old website.
But what I'm saying is that it's not as visible as the old one. Sure, it's easy to get to, but -I- didn't even know about it until a staffer told me about it. (I think it was you, Nyr.)

"] yer a wizard, oashi"

Nyr

• Red Fangs
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 08:43:04 AM »

But what I'm saying is that it's not as visible as the old one. Sure, it's easy to get to, but -I- didn't even know about it until a staffer told me about it. (I think it was you, Nyr.)

Old site:

click introduction
click walkthrough

new site:

click intro
click walkthrough

there are even less words to read, and one of them is part of a menu so you don't leave the page you are on...
Paint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

ShaLeah

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 01:20:46 PM »
Bring back my quickstart!