Author Topic: The Food Thread.  (Read 7344 times)

RogueGunslinger

The Food Thread.
« on: May 13, 2014, 07:24:49 PM »

This is a thread for food. Anything and everything about food. I Looked back for a "what are you currently eating." thread, sure there had to be one, but didn't find it. There have been numerous times where recipe threads have come up, all lost in the annals of the GDB.

So, have a recipe you want to share? Eat at a restaurant you just love? Bake up some amazing sourdough bread? This is the place to talk about it.

Today, for a late mothers-day I'm grilling up steaks, boiling some corn on the bobb, frying up some chopped Jalapeno and Onion, baking potatoes, and dicing up a salad. I love the smell of grilling in the morning. MMMM.

BadSkeelz

Re: The Food Thread.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 07:44:26 PM »
I'm making this tonight. It's a recipe my mom came up with or found somewhere.

Cheater Paella

1 red pepper, thinly sliced into matchsticks about 1 ½ inches long & ¼ inch thick

½ brown onion, thinly sliced

1 cup (or more) frozen, shelled Trader Joe’s edamame

One handful haricot vert [short, skinny green beans]

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 bag Vigo yellow (saffron) rice, “family size” (Note: as best as I can tell, this is like 3 cups of rice. I can't find this Vigo brand where I am, so I keep making do with others and adjusting. One box of Zatarain's Yellow Rice needs 2 cups of water, so I plan to use 2 boxes tonight.)

1 bag Trader Joes frozen mixed seafood (calamari, scallops, shrimp), thawed by putting in colander & running cold water over in steady stream

½ pound shrimp, raw, shells removed [about 16-20 count size].  Also ok to use already cooked shrimp so long as it’s not frozen – if using pre-cooked shrimp, just put in at end to warm through)

1 linguica sausage, cut into half lengthwise & then chopped

1 cup leftover cooked chicken, if you have it

2 lemons

Zest of one of the lemons [can use lemon pepper instead]

1 pinch saffron

4 cups boiling water

Garlic salt & lemon pepper (optional)

½ bunch parsley, chopped

Heat olive oil in LARGE skillet.  Cook red pepper 5-7 minutes.  Add onions and chopped garlic and cook 5 more minutes.

Meanwhile, blanch green beans (steam or boil for 2 minutes, then plunge in cold water to stop cooking) AND boil 4 cups of water.   Pour 2 cups into measuring cup and add the pinch of saffron to let steep.

After pepper & onion have cooked about 10 to 12 minutes, add edamame and haricot vert (drained).

Then pour in the 2 cups of “saffron” water and another 2 cups of boiling water, for 4 cups total.    Stir in Vigo rice mix. Mix well.

Reduce heat to low (use a simmer guard if you have gas stove).  Cover & cook 20 minutes.  Pour in “seafood medley” and shrimp.  Cook, covered, another 15 minutes.  Add chicken, if using. Add sausage.  Push seafood & chicken into rice.  Squeeze lemon over top & sprinkle with parsley & a little garlic salt or sea salt and lemon zest.  Then cook another 5 to 10 minutes or until rice is cooked (not hard in center), if necessary.  Serve with more lemon.

Makes a lot – 8 to 10 servings.  Great the next day, either reheated or cold.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:13:10 PM by BadSkeelz »
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

TheWanderer

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 07:49:27 PM »
As a culinary master, I'm gonna teach you kids how to cook shit - not literal shit, mind you, 'cause that would be nasty. A'ight! Let's start with the basics.

Boom! Take a slice of bread.

Boom! Take some peanut butter.

Boom! Apply peanut butter to bread.

Boom! Fold in half and you've got a peanut butter sandwich, but if you're feeling greedy, take second piece of bread and apply to top.

Boom! We'll discuss applying jelly to said sandwich tomorrow. Class dismissed.
Quote from: Robert Bloch
Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk.

Quote from: Alejandro
You will not survive here. You are not a wolf, and this is a land of wolves now.

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 06:00:47 PM »
This is a recipe I've been really wanting to try sometime:  http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Salted-and-Seasoned-Grilled-Beef

Has anyone had anything like this before?
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 06:14:08 PM »
This is a recipe I've been really wanting to try sometime:  http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Salted-and-Seasoned-Grilled-Beef

Has anyone had anything like this before?

I'm going to try the hell out of this.

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 06:31:24 PM »
My thoughts exactly.  If you end up doing it, please let me know how it turns out.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

lordcooper

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 06:46:45 PM »
Food is for people who can't afford good drugs.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Orin

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 07:36:57 PM »
Real simple meal for two:

- Fillet of your choice of fish (salmon if you can acquire it)
- Fresh green beans
- Lemon
- Garlic
- Salt/Pepper

You will need an oven, cookie sheet, and parchment paper.  Lay the parchment paper out and place your green beans on it.  They will be the bed your fish lays on and will absorb all the flavors while it cooks.  Place the fish on top of the green beans, salt/pepper as much as you want on the fillet, sprinkle with chopped garlic, and lay slices of lemon over the top of the fish until it is covered.  Fold up the parchment paper like it's a small envelope, sealing it from all sides so the moisture will stay inside for the most part.

Toss the wrapped fish on a cookie sheet and place in a pre-heated oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.  Let cook for ~20-25 minutes (depending on thickness of fish) or until fish is at temperature (should be 145F to be fully cooked).  Unwrap your fish and slide ingredients off of the parchment paper onto a plate.  There ya go... simple, delicious, and a healthy alternative to pizza.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 08:55:12 PM by Orin »
You notice: A war beetle squeezes out a fist-sized ball of dung.

LauraMars

• Helper
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 07:46:25 PM »
I just ate the worst cous cous salad I have ever eaten.

It had cilantro in it I think.  And fennel.  So then I ate like 9 double-stuffed oreos to get rid of the awful taste in my mouth.

Kill me now, God.

Orin, what are your thoughts on that fish recipe if executed with tinfoil instead of parchment paper?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A foreign presence contacts your mind.

MeTekillot

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 07:53:32 PM »
Here is a hot tip: Not all spices taste the way they smell. Please taste things before you put them in your food. Also buy a sprinkle top if you have a jar of oregano, that way your hand slipping doesn't end with soup with a literal three ounces of oregano.
Where have you buried the body, MeTekillot?

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »
Real simple meal for two:

- Fillet of your choice of fish (salmon if you can acquire it)
- Fresh green beans
- Lemon
- Garlic
- Salt/Pepper

You will need an oven, cookie sheet, and parchment paper.  Lay the parchment paper out and place your green beans on it.  They will be the bed your fish lays on and will absorb all the flavors while it cooks.  Place the fish on top of the green beans, salt/pepper as much as you want on the fillet, sprinkle with chopped garlic, and lay slices of lemon over the top of the fish until it is covered.  Fold up the parchment paper like it's a small envelope, sealing it from all sides so the moisture will stay inside for the most part.

Toss the wrapped fish on a cookie sheet and place in a pre-heated oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.  Let cook for ~35-40 minutes or until fish is at temperature (should be 145F to be fully cooked).  Unwrap your fish and slide ingredients off of the parchment paper onto a plate.  There ya go... simple, delicious, and a healthy alternative to pizza.

How I wish my fiance liked fish... this sounds delicious.  Though you could take this and replace it with chicken and likely get around the same results.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 08:01:43 PM »
Quote from: TheWanderer - PB Expert
As a culinary master, I'm gonna teach you kids how to cook shit - not literal shit, mind you, 'cause that would be nasty. A'ight! Let's start with the basics.

Boom! We'll discuss applying jelly to said sandwich tomorrow. Class dismissed.

I appreciate the time it took you to google and link those images :D

Orin

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 08:53:36 PM »
I just ate the worst cous cous salad I have ever eaten.

It had cilantro in it I think.  And fennel.  So then I ate like 9 double-stuffed oreos to get rid of the awful taste in my mouth.

Kill me now, God.

Orin, what are your thoughts on that fish recipe if executed with tinfoil instead of parchment paper?

I would be careful using foils, as they will impart a metallic taste onto the fish.  Also, acids from the lemon will interact with the foil and cause even more of a metallic taste... so yeah, stick with parchment paper unless you're brave.

Also I should edit my post for the oven temp and time, I remembered incorrectly.  Should be 375 for about 20-25 mins, depending on the thickness of the fish.

LauraMars

• Helper
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 03:09:56 AM »
It's 3am I must be hungry. What horrible thing should I eat out of the following three options:

A) chocolate chips
B) double stuffed Oreos
C) bread
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A foreign presence contacts your mind.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 03:17:07 AM »
It's 3am I must be hungry. What horrible thing should I eat out of the following three options:

A) chocolate chips
B) double stuffed Oreos
C) bread

Chocolate Chip and Oreo sandwich
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 12:17:07 PM »
I thought I would pass this one along as it is rather epic.  I do enjoy good chicken tenders.

http://imgur.com/gallery/j7NFy
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:

Is Friday

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 07:14:37 PM »
My wife just made this for me.

1 toast slice with almond butter + honey.
1 toast slice with avocado + tomato slices + pepper.
Quote from: shadowspeak discord
did you just meet a ridiculously unfuckable psychotic female character? It's 75% likely that Is_Friday is playing it! unfuckable, unwantable, unloveable, poorly played, stereotype-driven, abusive, and shallow!

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 07:18:21 PM »
Purple Grapes.

Yum.

Reiloth

• Corpse Pose: B&W Film Photography
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 07:34:20 PM »
How to make Lebanese Toum, a garlic emulsion. Really simple, if you have a decent sized food processor. Great as a spread, on sandwiches, on cooked fish/meat.

3 Large Heads of Garlic (peel da cloves)
1 teaspoon of salt
3-4 Cups (yes cups) of canola/light oil
1 Lemon, Squeezed/Juiced

Put da heads in da processor and da salt
Pulse the Processor and use a wooden spoon to push the garlic off the sides.
Get the garlic chopped real fine, sort of pasty looking.

Important: After this step, do not turn off the processor until the toum is complete.

Turn on the processor, and begin to pour the oil into the processor. Pour INCREDIBLY slowly, as to not break the emulsion. I'm talking like a thread of oil.

Pour about 1/2 cup of oil, and alternate with the lemon juice, until the lemon juice is gone.

You will begin to see the toum form -- It gains a fluffy sort of appearance. If it remains sort of clumpy, you are pouring the oil too quickly!

When the oil is gone, the toum is complete. Slather it on some flatbread and stick some schwarma in it. Enjoy.

Also, Toum keeps for like 2 weeks. Yum!

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:40:34 PM by Reiloth »
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2014, 11:50:00 PM »
I just baked some brownies and DAMN they were good. I've got a thing for simple recipes.

10 oz (canna)butter
3/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup flour
1cup white sugar
1cup brown sugar
Just pour some vanilla in that shit, who knows what a teaspoon is anyways.
Same with the Salt, just sprinkle that shit on like you would your dinner.
3 eggs.

Chocolate heaven. Make sure its like this in the saucepan: Butter > Cocoa > Sugar/salt > Eggs > Vanilla > Flour... I think, whatever this isn't rocket surgery, brownies are unfuckupable.

Orin

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 04:19:30 PM »
Back again with a good post from reddit.com/r/Frugal.  If you're not subscribed there, check it out.  There are numerous recipes that pop up from time to time like this one that are cheap, delicious, and help with meal planning.  This particular recipe is for slow-cooked carnitas burritos, which come out to about $1.33 each according to the poster.  Your mileage may vary depending on how much each ingredient costs you, though.

http://imgur.com/a/feRwc

Step by step instructions are included in the image gallery linked above.  Basically the ingredients are:

• 2 cans black beans
  • 1 can chipotle in adobo
  • 20 medium tortillas
  • Cheese - depends on how much you want
  • Rice - depends on how much you want
  • 4-5 ripe tomatoes
  • ~4 pounds pork loin or shoulder
  • 1 bunch of ciltantro
  • 3 limes (or lemons if you can't find/afford limes)
  • 2 red onions
  • 1 large white onion
  • cumin
  • oregano

Final product looks like this:

boog

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 04:24:23 PM »
Ooh!

Thanks, Orin.

And thank you, reddit, my lord and savior!
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

zeia

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2014, 06:09:51 AM »
And now I'm majorly hungry..
Pride means nothing when your crawling on the ground.

Orin

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2014, 02:56:28 PM »
Went out to Costco today with the wife with the intention of making breakfast and lunch burritos to cut meal costs down.  We picked up a big thing of medium tortillas, peppers, barbecue sauce, onion, and pork shoulder.  We're going to try to make some barbecue pulled pork burritos and freeze them for work/school lunches.  Luckily we still had some rice and beans from our previous excursion, so that will be a nice filler on top of what we have already.

If I remember I'll post pictures and cost per burrito :)

Synthesis

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2014, 12:51:11 AM »
These things aren't cuisine, but they only take a few minutes to make, and they taste decent.

"Greek?" Salad:
Whatever the hell kind of salad mix you like (I'm kind of on a baby spinach+kale kick)
Kalamata olives
Feta cheese
Pepperoncinis
Tablespoon of olive oil
Tablespoon of balsamic vinegar

Put it in a bowl.  Eat.

Laziest chicken quesadilla:

1 chicken breast, butterflied, then cubed
A bit of chili powder
A bit of cumin
A dash of cayenne pepper
Juice of 1/2 lime

Put it in a pan and fry it up.  Sprinkle some cheese on it.  Eat with a couple of corn tortillas.  Don't bother forming the quesadilla...time's a-wastin'.  (Cubing the chicken makes it cook waaaay faster, so it's worth the extra effort.)  Would it taste better with some onions, diced tomatoes, and cilantro?  Yeah.  But I don't have a sous-chef on standby to do my fucking food prep, and neither do you.  And yes, using cayenne for heat is also super-lazy.  That's the point.  Squirt your leftover 1/2 lime into a glass of water, because what the hell else are you going to do with a leftover 1/2 lime?

Simple sauteed spinach:
Slice some mushrooms and get them started in a tablespoon of olive oil
Dice a couple of cloves of garlic and toss them in the pan once the mushrooms start to change color
Throw a bunch of baby spinach in and sautee it as long as you like
Salt+pepper to taste
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.