Tuluki Shrinkinator / Tavern Restructuring Discussion

Started by Nyr, May 09, 2014, 04:23:54 PM

Quote from: Barsook on June 04, 2014, 08:36:51 PM
I feel like the tiny, copper-skinned, auburn-haired woman in the Sun King's doesn't belong, she should be in the Thooth or the other one.

I feel this way too. Apart from being the nicest tavern, the one nobles and upper to middle class citizens are more likely to frequent, and being the closest to the west gate and the nearest stables for those arriving by the most commonly taken route, this chick walks around in there offering the cheapest food and drink of any coded tavern. This while the Tembo's Tooth food is more expensive than Sanctuary food (main room anyway, but ginka pie is still cheaper than their soul food analogue), while drinks are slightly cheaper in the Tooth without the trader woman, arguably because of the beer/ale v. wine difference. I feel like the Tooth should be more attractive for subsistence and low-income players.

I'm excited about the atmospheric changes being implemented in Tuluk and look forward to how it will evolve in the future. I really like the idea of playing a non-legal criminal full-time, being careful, maybe getting caught by a corporal or private and being forced to pay them to keep quiet, always wondering when you're going to get caught. Really opens up the possibility for a spice smuggler too, which I imagine would be crazy profitable.

Quote from: long live miley cyrus on June 05, 2014, 03:01:48 PM
I'm excited about the atmospheric changes being implemented in Tuluk and look forward to how it will evolve in the future. I really like the idea of playing a non-legal criminal full-time, being careful, maybe getting caught by a corporal or private and being forced to pay them to keep quiet, always wondering when you're going to get caught. Really opens up the possibility for a spice smuggler too, which I imagine would be crazy profitable.

It's not smuggling if the product you're bringing in is legal.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Smuggling in jade emblazoned swords...
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

I think I would like to have the food of the Tooth for the woman in the Sun King's.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Barsook on June 05, 2014, 07:57:34 PM
I think I would like to have the food of the Tooth for the woman in the Sun King's.
Tuluk needs more food in their taverns. Period.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

There are find-out IC reasons for why Tuluk is lacking in tavern food.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on June 05, 2014, 09:21:29 PM
There are find-out IC reasons for why Tuluk is lacking in tavern food.

Scariest thing I've ever read.

Quote from: Malken on June 05, 2014, 03:34:17 PM
Quote from: long live miley cyrus on June 05, 2014, 03:01:48 PM

It's not smuggling if the product you're bringing in is legal.

Behind Kurac's back--- and making a big profit off of it, I mean. Taking enough of their profits for them to take notice. (not that I know if a single pc can pull this off... no idea what number profit would need to be hit for this)

It's pretty hard to profit off something that is legal and can be bought at mostly reasonable prices (From PC's at least).

Now if you were selling grains or something, I guess that's a possibility, but Kurac would find out about you pretty fast, and that'd be a hard beast to get away from.

Much easier in Allanak, I think.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on June 06, 2014, 01:11:04 PM
It's pretty hard to profit off something that is legal and can be bought at mostly reasonable prices (From PC's at least).

Now if you were selling grains or something, I guess that's a possibility, but Kurac would find out about you pretty fast, and that'd be a hard beast to get away from.

Much easier in Allanak, I think.

You'd have to be pretty retarded to forage for your own grains in the middle of fucknowhere Red Storm neighborhood and then get all the way to Tuluk to sell them at a small profit, but then, this is Armageddon and retarded things is what a vast majority of players specialize in.

Agreed. Well, with the first part. No need to 'jaded veteran' everywhere you go!
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Malken on June 06, 2014, 01:25:42 PM

You'd have to be pretty retarded to forage for your own grains in the middle of fucknowhere Red Storm neighborhood and then get all the way to Tuluk to sell them at a small profit, but then, this is Armageddon and retarded things is what a vast majority of players specialize in.

How is that retarded? Thats like the basic way you would under cut Kurac... which might be retarded... but That idea behind that is sound.

Kurac charges an amount for X amount of spice
PC trader charges less for X amount of spice.

As long as the PC is making more then if they deliver direct to Kurac, that's a perfect legit thing to do.

It's like going over a GMH and trying to under cut their profits.  You wouldn't buy GMH products at full price and sell them at a loss would you?  That would be retarded.

"Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you."
"Sir?"
"It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority."
"Sir?"
"That's practically zen."
― Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Maybe because you'd get twice the profit from selling in Allanak and not have to travel nearly as far.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 06, 2014, 03:49:29 PM
Maybe because you'd get twice the profit from selling in Allanak and not have to travel nearly as far.

Yeah, mostly this. If you are trading something illegal/hard to get in Allanak, you are bound to make more money than in a place farther away, where it is also legal, and sold at reasonable prices. It'd be difficult to imagine it being more profitable to smuggle spice into Tuluk, than into Allanak and the Labyrinth.

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on June 06, 2014, 05:57:10 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 06, 2014, 03:49:29 PM

Yeah, mostly this. If you are trading something illegal/hard to get in Allanak, you are bound to make more money than in a place farther away, where it is also legal, and sold at reasonable prices. It'd be difficult to imagine it being more profitable to smuggle spice into Tuluk, than into Allanak and the Labyrinth.

Well... except the risk of getting caught.

But I see the point.
"Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you."
"Sir?"
"It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority."
"Sir?"
"That's practically zen."
― Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

We should have an elven tavern in Tuluk.

Too many taverns, I know, but I just really wish I could go into allanak or tuluk without needing to pass through Backstab Junction in order to enter a tavern for mostly elves, creating an atmosphere that is unique to them and would for me become a big draw to play elves, as long as echoes and such were set to keep it from becoming another "eight humans and a dorf" tavern.

or maybe turn the Tooth into an elven-dominant, but not weird for humans tavern, have the Akai buy it from Kurac or whatever. And then add an elves-only tavern southside in Allanak that has had a mild to moderate reputation of tossing out an unusual number of human bodies, something that might pass over human heads because they think they're the center of the universe, but to other races would send the message that humans are more in danger/not in as much control in and around that place. It'd be hilarious if it weren't more than a room in an abandoned building with a few tables and some barrels of booze behind a guard, with a pair of scissors on a sign outside or what have you, trying to masquerade as a real establishment. One can dream, I suppose. I just wish there was a tavern a law-abiding citizen can sit in, but be on edge the whole time they're in there.

Quote from: long live miley cyrus on June 08, 2014, 01:11:38 PM

Too many taverns, I know, but I just really wish I could go into allanak or tuluk without needing to pass through Backstab Junction in order to enter a tavern for mostly elves, creating an atmosphere that is unique to them and would for me become a big draw to play elves, as long as echoes and such were set to keep it from becoming another "eight humans and a dorf" tavern.

or maybe turn the Tooth into an elven-dominant, but not weird for humans tavern, have the Akai buy it from Kurac or whatever. And then add an elves-only tavern southside in Allanak that has had a mild to moderate reputation of tossing out an unusual number of human bodies, something that might pass over human heads because they think they're the center of the universe, but to other races would send the message that humans are more in danger/not in as much control in and around that place. It'd be hilarious if it weren't more than a room in an abandoned building with a few tables and some barrels of booze behind a guard, with a pair of scissors on a sign outside or what have you, trying to masquerade as a real establishment. One can dream, I suppose. I just wish there was a tavern a law-abiding citizen can sit in, but be on edge the whole time they're in there.

Dude, we had an elven tavern a month ago for YEARS, but it got recently disappeared, do you really think they're going to add a new elf tavern now?

First of all we need elf PCs to make an elven tavern worth it and you need to give people a reason to play elves in Tuluk for that (the Akai ain't it, and we have a whole thread about this already).

Instead of separate taverns, separate tables in the same tavern has a lot to offer. It's the hell of the middle-school lunchroom all over again.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Except in tuluk you'd have to throw all the food in hemotes.

I agree that separate tables really shows the class divide.

Perhaps Elven tables at bars are considered the Norm for Elves to sit at -- They aren't really welcome at the bar, because it's easy pickings for pick-pockets.

Reminds me of the segregation in America -- And that's a good source to draw from, when considering ignorant bigotry related to race.

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on June 09, 2014, 02:01:33 AM

Perhaps Elven tables at bars are considered the Norm for Elves to sit at -- They aren't really welcome at the bar, because it's easy pickings for pick-pockets.

Reminds me of the segregation in America -- And that's a good source to draw from, when considering ignorant bigotry related to race.

These are interesting and reasonable ideas in theory. However, is it really a good idea to make a race that is already seemingly gimped in almost ever possible way, code wise and rp-wise even more isolated from the bulk of the player-base? Wouldn't more segregation make elves even less enjoyable to play even for those few people who still find them fun to play?

Quote from: Dresan on June 09, 2014, 10:09:51 AM
Quote from: Reiloth on June 09, 2014, 02:01:33 AM

These are interesting and reasonable ideas in theory. However, is it really a good idea to make a race that is already seemingly gimped in almost ever possible way, code wise and rp-wise even more isolated from the bulk of the player-base? Wouldn't more segregation make elves even less enjoyable to play even for those few people who still find them fun to play?

Sucks, but makes sense. But sometimes elves make their own temporary tables, if that helps any. You know when there's more than one in the room.

Quote from: Malken on June 08, 2014, 01:32:59 PM
Stuff

I suppose I should have added that yeah, elves need to make up more than 8% of the pc count playing at anytime, but I didn't feel like the tribal market tavern was really an elven tavern. It felt more like a distant hole in the ground to wait for the sun to come up than anything. Somewhere deep in the warrens/commoners' quarter, brimming with elven echoes and npcs and serving elven food--- where a regular cadre of four elves, two others coming frequently and three others randomly showing up, go at anytime to chat in a uniquely elven environment and contemplate pickpocketing, scamming and mugging each other. Gambling where success is based on agility (correlating well with the average craftiness of pc races) and a priceless echo where a human steps into the room, the whole place goes quiet, they sit at the bar and order a drink, and then gradually the atmosphere returns to normal. One can dream, though, since I doubt this will be a viable idea for years.

Used to.  Got rid of it.  You can take your elf to the Tooth, though, probably the most appropriate place for that in Tuluk.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Okay, I don't know if this has already been mentioned, this is the first time I've posted here and there's no way I combing 14 pages of info to check if it's repetition....

I just walked down Yasnia's way (or what ever it's called) and there are a couple other places that the roads glitch around and mean that you can't retrace your steps and room sizes which *really* don't add up. I realise that the grid is not uniform but this is to a degree that indicates that something is a little off. To me at least.

I have logs if needed ^.^

Please bug that or typo that in-game.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.