Tuluki Shrinkinator / Tavern Restructuring Discussion

Started by Nyr, May 09, 2014, 04:23:54 PM

Awesome.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I'd rather have more threats to Tuluki grebbers than a smaller Allanak.

Where is that Dasari Merchant now?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Barsook on May 20, 2014, 11:56:55 AM

Same area she's always been in.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

... bumfuck nowhere?

More seriously, I wonder if the graveyard and plaza that were in the Old Quarter made it through the shrinkray?

Quote from: Delirium on May 20, 2014, 12:28:39 PM
... bumfuck nowhere?

More seriously, I wonder if the graveyard and plaza that were in the Old Quarter made it through the shrinkray?

Yep, it did.

and bumfuck nowhere is not as bumfuck nowhere as bumfuck nowhere used to be heheh

I'm hoping a pass was made for the NPCs that roam about.  If a big chunk we taken out, I feel bad for the pickpockets of the city.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Good! Maybe now with all these changes to Tuluk I'll be able to find a better apartment in Allanak.  >:(

May 20, 2014, 12:40:21 PM #234 Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 12:43:07 PM by Malken
Quote from: JustAnotherGuy on May 20, 2014, 12:32:08 PM
I'm hoping a pass was made for the NPCs that roam about.  If a big chunk we taken out, I feel bad for the pickpockets of the city.

Tuluk has never really been generous toward pickpockets. Compared to Allanak, many of the Tuluki NPCs don't carry much coins or sheathed weapons, or backpacks to begin with. It's a bit of a shame. The warrens also definitely need a "black market" of sort, the same way the 'rinth has one.

The Red Sun Commons could also definitely used many more NPCs.. Too many rooms without a single NPC in it. It doesn't appear 'busy' the way the Allanak market appears busy.

Quote from: Nyr on May 20, 2014, 11:15:54 AM
Quote from: Nyr on May 19, 2014, 03:03:39 PM
Quote from: Dakota on May 19, 2014, 02:46:04 PM
What time will this happen roughly and will their be much (if any) down time?

Tuesday, May 20, with minimal (if any) downtime.

So minimal that we had no downtime.

Nicely done on that. Kudos when kudos deserved. Nicely done.
Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: Delirium on May 20, 2014, 12:28:39 PM
... bumfuck nowhere?

I think you asked this before and it was answered before, or at least, you asked a general question and had this answered before:

Quote from: Nyr on May 10, 2014, 08:17:30 PM
We've retained the cemetery and the plaza. 

Quote from: Barsook on May 20, 2014, 11:56:55 AM

Quote from: Nyr on May 09, 2014, 04:35:07 PM
Quote from: valeria on May 09, 2014, 04:33:15 PM
Is the Dasari herbalist going to be moved within the new city limits?  I sincerely hope so.  That shop is extremely useful (cures, perfumes), and it always bugged me that it was out in the middle of nowheresville.  It also seriously dampened my out of town characters when it was put behind tattoo checkers, because it limited access to perfume items.

That's a good change to make that will likely occur.

Moved to inside RSC.  Once we update the directions commands we'll put everything up for perusal.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Correction, moved to Dark Moon Road, north of the Sanctuary (so from the Sanc, south, east, north onto Dark Moon Road, and west from there).  For now.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

May 20, 2014, 01:00:09 PM #238 Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 01:02:03 PM by Malken
Love the atmosphere and desc of the new tavern, as well as the fact that it's real close to apartments :)

There's also a firepit!

Hah hah! As well as a 'surprise' in the menu.

You can see that Nyr listened to all the 'worries'  ;D

Quote from: JustAnotherGuy on May 20, 2014, 12:32:08 PM
I'm hoping a pass was made for the NPCs that roam about.  If a big chunk we taken out, I feel bad for the pickpockets of the city.

Actually that was a very specific part of this; the roaming NPCs have all been given new locations and scripted into those.

If they had a brain (as in, they go to x location for resting, y for working, etc) then they have NOT been added back in yet (we're tweaking some of them to give them new routes based on the new map).  Should be done a bit later today.

May 20, 2014, 02:28:16 PM #240 Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 02:29:57 PM by bracken
Firepit? Marvellous  :D

The Barrens.
I don't like the smell of what people are planning at all.
It's an entirely walled area , as far as I know, with guards at both gates. The areas are governed by the Surif.
Putting presumably less lethal wildlife inside may make it a gamepark for newbie hunters, which I don't think Tuluk or anywhere needs!
I think the game needs a safe attractive grebbing area for newbies. The alternative for them is to "sneak " out the gates and off the road and

l n
l s
l w
em something in a hurry
forage food
l n
l s
l w

Because of my early experiences as a noob, I'd feel so sorry to see this area changed.
I emoted my heart out here, once I came to see this was a maybe safe place.
That beauty and truth should pass utterly

Newbies shouldn't be given an unrealistic expectation of safety.

But then, I started in Allanak, where you can't take a shit without having three giant spiders attack you.

From my experience, pickpockets are definitely not at a disadvantage in Tuluk. I've bugged a few NPCs because they carried an insane amount of coin, and one could just sit there and pluck them all day long.

Perhaps with the belt items/backpacks, I didn't really think of that.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on May 20, 2014, 02:36:03 PM
From my experience, pickpockets are definitely not at a disadvantage in Tuluk. I've bugged a few NPCs because they carried an insane amount of coin, and one could just sit there and pluck them all day long.

Nah, I didn't really mean that pickpockets should be making a fortune but it'd be nice if more than just a very few of them carried weapons and more items in their backpacks.. (Most of the NPCs that actually have sheathed weapons usually carry Legion weapons..)

Interesting items of varying difficulties to steal are a lot more interesting than stealing a whole bunch of coins, that's for sure, since you usually don't play a pickpocket to become the wealthiest guy in town.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on May 20, 2014, 02:34:44 PM
Newbies shouldn't be given an unrealistic expectation of safety.

But then, I started in Allanak, where you can't take a shit without having three giant spiders attack you.

To elaborate:

Newbies should be given an interesting and challenging world. If you faced death walking outside of the gates, maybe people would be more willing to hang around Tuluk and search for friends, allies and employers instead of just going off to be indie hunters (edit: or grebbers, etc). My first character didn't know much of what was around Allanak, but he knew sure as hell that it'd probably kill him if he tried to go out alone and unskilled.

Quote from: Malken on May 20, 2014, 02:40:08 PM

Nah, I didn't really mean that pickpockets should be making a fortune but it'd be nice if more than just a very few of them carried weapons and more items in their backpacks.. (Most of the NPCs that actually have sheathed weapons usually carry Legion weapons..)

Interesting items of varying difficulties to steal are a lot more interesting than stealing a whole bunch of coins, that's for sure, since you usually don't play a pickpocket to become the wealthiest guy in town.

But...But...Shouldn't that be PCs?

I basically wish sneaky types weren't 'outed' the first time they fail a steal attempt on a PC. I think it'd encourage a little more PvP when it comes to theft.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on May 20, 2014, 02:46:03 PM

I basically wish sneaky types weren't 'outed' the first time they fail a steal attempt on a PC. I think it'd encourage a little more PvP when it comes to theft.

When you mostly always see the same 10 PCs around, stealing from them isn't the smartest of ideas  :-\

It's not a large pool of PCs, so you kinda always know who the pickpocket is, or might be.. Unlike in 'Nak, where there's a lot more elves and guild PCs around.

It really wouldn't surprise me if some of the wealthy Tuluki PCs would buy a 1000 'sids license on my pickpocket because they somewhat know that I'm the only pickpocket around and their favorite sword is missing.

Quote from: Malken on May 20, 2014, 02:50:37 PM
Quote from: Reiloth on May 20, 2014, 02:46:03 PM

When you mostly always see the same 10 PCs around, stealing from them isn't the smartest of ideas  :-\

It's not a large pool of PCs, so you kinda always know who the pickpocket is, or might be.. Unlike in 'Nak, where there's a lot more elves and guild PCs around.

It really wouldn't surprise me if some of the wealthy Tuluki PCs would buy a 1000 'sids license on my pickpocket because they somewhat know that I'm the only pickpocket around and their favorite sword is missing.

Yeah...Exactly. Probably a discussion for a different thread, but those are all very valid points.

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: bracken on May 20, 2014, 02:28:16 PM
I think the game needs a safe attractive grebbing area for newbies.

QuoteArmageddon MUD is an online fantasy game in which players jointly inhabit a harsh, post-apocalyptic desert world, the one exception to this trope of harshness being this one city-state where they can pretty much forage in absolute safety inside the walls of the city.

Having a safe and helpful playing environment is fine--helpers, starter shops, walkthrough rooms, walkthroughs in general that assist the newbie, and other things like that.  Having a safe area in the game for newbies is not at all something that needs to be in the game.

The alternative for them is to "sneak " out the gates and off the road and

l n
l s
l w
em something in a hurry
forage food
l n
l s
l w

The alternative for them is to do what everyone in every other area of the game has to do:  actually inhabit a harsh world, where things aren't safe.

Because of my early experiences as a noob, I'd feel so sorry to see this area changed.
I emoted my heart out here, once I came to see this was a maybe safe place.

You can still emote your heart out there, but I don't think we really want you to greb your heart out there in safety.  So we'll do one of the things suggested, more than likely.  That's not to say we won't allow foraging there at all, just that there should be pretty dingy rewards for risk-free foraging for your own benefit (rather than for a job that wants you to do something for the city, like mining or clay digging or poopsmithing).

And I don't have the right extension/add-on on this computer, so I lost about an hour and a half of mapping work for the new ASCII map.  I hate you so much right now, ASCII map.