Tuluki Shrinkinator / Tavern Restructuring Discussion

Started by Nyr, May 09, 2014, 04:23:54 PM

I can spell, I corrected it.  Or is it something else?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Yeah. I find the idea of there being some safe spot to greb pretty ridiculous. Am I also understanding you right in that the cotton fields are fully enclosed in the walls? Tuluk just sounds codedly easier the more I learn about it.

Quote from: Barsook on May 19, 2014, 04:06:04 PM
I can spell, I corrected it.  Or is it something else?

He's saying that you're not supposed to feel safe anywhere on Armageddon, but apparently he's never played in or around Tuluk, amirite ladies/
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Oh, duh.  It seems that he never played Tuluk. ;)

Quote from: BadSkeelz on May 19, 2014, 04:10:19 PM
Yeah. I find the idea of there being some safe spot to greb pretty ridiculous. Am I also understanding you right in that the cotton fields are fully enclosed in the walls? Tuluk just sounds codedly easier the more I learn about it.

It is.
Fredd-

Quote from: Barsook on May 19, 2014, 03:58:40 PM
Stupid question but to check if I understand, will there be some places where grebbers can greb safely?  Those Barrerns?  For some reason, I have read those barrerns are the Old Quarter/City.

If we have a ton of northern players that are overly abusing the abiity to forage for certain stuff inside the city, then we can fix that.  You shouldn't be able to greb safely.  Greb cotton or clay or shit, sure.  If you're saying foraging for generic crap inside the city, bug the room.  We don't want that in Tuluk or necessarily inside the vast region that is the enclosed walls of Tuluk--it's already rumored to be an 'easy' place to play, and that rumor is something we hope to slightly adjust right alongside others.

Easy to navigate, yes.  Easy to scrape by a living without leaving the city or interacting with any other players or without having some sort of skill like you would in the rest of Zalanthas, no.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on May 19, 2014, 04:10:19 PM

Well yeah, actually.  The cotton fields are actually fields owned by the city, and unlike Allanak they enclose their farming areas inside the walls.

The advantage to the PC:  wow, much safe, very ease.
The disadvantage to the PC:  wow, such bore, very lame.

If you want to play a super safe PC, stick with the dung selling, the clay digging, or the cotton picking.  You'll also be sticking with a poor PC.  Good luck (and if you do that, more power to you!).

(yes, we try to balance all jobs/IC work that way; the more dangerous it is, the more profitable it might be, and vice versa)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

May 19, 2014, 11:28:56 PM #205 Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 11:35:34 PM by Malken
If you want to make it a little harder for Tuluki to get mega rich pretty easily, I'd propose pushing the salt licks like 10 rooms east in the middle of cilops infested zombie-bahamets. That'd help greatly.

That or make the room it's in part of the bahamet patrolling cycle.

(I can't really think of anything you can greb easily from the inside of the city and that is worth something, so that's cool)

Also, poor PCs are awesome!

I had often wondered how it'd be if salt foraging was revamped entirely. Instead of just a static room, which I don't think is really a fix, then some system where the wind or trampling bahamets or foraging herds of animals reveals tiny patches of salt in the grasslands or even in other areas occasionally, so that you can't always count on the same spot to go to.

Even if it was moved 10 rooms to the east like Malken proposes, then all it takes is for one PC to check that it's clear, or clear it, or lure away dangerous animals from it and then make it safe to spam forage enough salt to make hundreds of coins in a day.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

To anyone who tells me that this spot can still be dangerous and is dangerous, I'd be very interested if Nyr could tell us when's the last time someone died on that spot, I bet it's very rare.

I know I have -never- had any trouble there myself (no raiding, no mugging.. Maybe a roaming bahamet or two..), and I must have logged 100000000 hours of foraging. (urgh, my life!)

Unless dangerous creatures were to regularly patrol that area...
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

The environment around Tuluk and its relative danger levels vs. its relative profitability levels is a ratio I am paying personal attention to at the moment.

:)
QuoteCalavera,

Your Shoot Me In The Head request has been resolved. We do not have sufficient ammunition to process your request at this time.

Italis
Armageddon Staff

May 20, 2014, 05:04:46 AM #210 Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 05:50:40 AM by bracken
Quote from: Nyr on May 19, 2014, 10:41:31 PM
Quote from: Barsook on May 19, 2014, 03:58:40 PM
Stupid question but to check if I understand, will there be some places where grebbers can greb safely?  Those Barrerns?  For some reason, I have read those barrerns are the Old Quarter/City.

If we have a ton of northern players that are overly abusing the abiity to forage for certain stuff inside the city, then we can fix that. You shouldn't be able to greb safely.  Greb cotton or clay or shit, sure.  If you're saying foraging for generic crap inside the city, bug the room.  We don't want that in Tuluk or necessarily inside the vast region that is the enclosed walls of Tuluk--it's already rumored to be an 'easy' place to play, and that rumor is something we hope to slightly adjust right alongside others.

Easy to navigate, yes.  Easy to scrape by a living without leaving the city or interacting with any other players or without having some sort of skill like you would in the rest of Zalanthas, no.

I have a bad feeling about this.

The Barrens are safe from wandering livestock apart from elves.
They are where I fell in love with this game. My PC spent his days safely grebbing for basics (and by night having a cookup at the Firepits.
There is a type of new player that likes to do these sort of things to their hearts content, without interacting with scary PC's. When I've got PC's playing in the north, I still like to chill out there without worrying about the "Don't go out the gates alone" rule.

This isn't what you were talking about is it, Nyr?

And if they haven't been through the wash already, please don't Shrink them!
That beauty and truth should pass utterly

Playing a poor Tuluki that RP's racial and social stereotypes and a real Warrener is Tuluk hard-mode.

I have too much experience in Tuluk. Maybe I should send in notes / suggestions from a players POV... (Excluding the Warrens bc I think everyone knows they need work).
Czar of City Elves.

The part of Tuluk people are talking about, Nyr, is the area east of the Chaitra gate and west of the Plains gate. Everything between the two is forageable, though the difficulty level and what you'll actually find is somewhat limited. If you're a crafter character foraging for his own materials though, it's a solid place to find "starter crafting" materials. This area includes a sub-area, that actually has some pretty good finds, but involves a risk of falling and of course the inconvenience of having to be reasonably unencumbered in order to climb back out again. This entire area, and its sub-area, are free of animals, with the rare occasion of when someone leads something through the plains gate.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Yeah, it's that area.  Thanks Lizzie.
Fredd-

Quote from: bracken on May 20, 2014, 05:04:46 AM
The Barrens are safe from wandering livestock apart from elves.

No problem with this part.

My PC spent his days safely grebbing for basics

This is where there's an issue.  Safely grebbing.

There is a type of new player that likes to do these sort of things to their hearts content, without interacting with scary PC's. When I've got PC's playing in the north, I still like to chill out there without worrying about the "Don't go out the gates alone" rule.

And you can absolutely chill out there. But getting raw crafting materials without effort or risk seems a little on the unrealistically unZalanthan side of cheesy, and that's one of the things we're going to review...eventually.

And if they haven't been through the wash already, please don't Shrink them!

That's not at all part of the plan, so no need to worry!

Quote from: Lizzie on May 20, 2014, 07:33:37 AM
The part of Tuluk people are talking about, Nyr, is the area east of the Chaitra gate and west of the Plains gate. Everything between the two is forageable, though the difficulty level and what you'll actually find is somewhat limited. If you're a crafter character foraging for his own materials though, it's a solid place to find "starter crafting" materials. This area includes a sub-area, that actually has some pretty good finds, but involves a risk of falling and of course the inconvenience of having to be reasonably unencumbered in order to climb back out again. This entire area, and its sub-area, are free of animals, with the rare occasion of when someone leads something through the plains gate.

I'm familiar.  I had forgotten it was an easy-forage safe zone, so we'll review that part of it eventually (either the difficulty, the results, or the risks).
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Quote from: Nyr on May 20, 2014, 08:38:28 AM
Quote from: Lizzie on May 20, 2014, 07:33:37 AM

I'm familiar.  I had forgotten it was an easy-forage safe zone, so we'll review that part of it eventually (either the difficulty, the results, or the risks).

The area you have to climb to is also, with a sole exception that I can think of (which involves braving swarms of monstrous creatures to get to), the only place to get a certain item. Mostly safe to get and almost a Tuluki exclusive, since others presumably can't bypass Chaitya's Gate to get there? Perhaps it could be redistributed somewhat?

I've never quite worked out where Tuluki farms are supposed to be. If it's actually all that land marked as 'Barrens', perhaps it could be updated to be farmland? I'm sure the slaves working there for the past few years have been up to something.

Quote from: Delusion on May 20, 2014, 09:03:36 AM
I've never quite worked out where Tuluki farms are supposed to be. If it's actually all that land marked as 'Barrens', perhaps it could be updated to be farmland? I'm sure the slaves working there for the past few years have been up to something.

Establishing that cohesive view of what goes where/what it does/etc is something we hope to achieve before staff rotations are complete.  One thing we'd discussed thus far and plan to make more clear is that Allanak and Tuluk differ in their farming strategies; one farms inside walls, the other has satellite villages that handle that (one could argue RSV and RSE also fit those categories for Allanak).

To answer your question, though, it's virtual at this time.

When will the next staff rotations happen, if I may ask?
Fredd-

Quote from: Nyr on May 20, 2014, 09:53:59 AM
Quote from: Delusion on May 20, 2014, 09:03:36 AM

Establishing that cohesive view of what goes where/what it does/etc is something we hope to achieve before staff rotations are complete.  One thing we'd discussed thus far and plan to make more clear is that Allanak and Tuluk differ in their farming strategies; one farms inside walls, the other has satellite villages that handle that (one could argue RSV and RSE also fit those categories for Allanak).

To answer your question, though, it's virtual at this time.
Could we possibly throw in more villages around Allanak, then, besides the one big one? Just tiny 2-3 room places like the ranch west of the city. I'd go so far as to suggest that each of those villages sell a specific food type, like roots for one, fruits for another, etc, so that they have reasons for people to go to them, and they are defined by their products? The ranch could sell chalton meat and hide and bones and horns.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I dig this idea, 7DV.
Fredd-

Quote from: Nyr on May 19, 2014, 03:03:39 PM
Quote from: Dakota on May 19, 2014, 02:46:04 PM
What time will this happen roughly and will their be much (if any) down time?

Tuesday, May 20, with minimal (if any) downtime.

So minimal that we had no downtime.

The crazy-haired, goggle-wearing Dasari is standing here, laughing manically.
-He is holding a Tuluki Shrinkinator.
Part-Time Internets Lady

Quote from: Nyr on May 20, 2014, 11:15:54 AM

It's done?
Fredd-

Quote from: Barsook on May 20, 2014, 11:24:07 AM
Quote from: Nyr on May 20, 2014, 11:15:54 AM

It's done?

Yep.