Tuluki Shrinkinator / Tavern Restructuring Discussion

Started by Nyr, May 09, 2014, 04:23:54 PM

It needs to be "populated" enough to "work". Tuluk often times just have a bunch of nobles staring at each other while indie hunters/crafters muck around in the apartments. That's not a working society, bro.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on May 14, 2014, 05:26:33 PM
It needs to be "populated" enough to "work". Tuluk often times just have a bunch of nobles staring at each other while indie hunters/crafters muck around in the apartments. That's not a working society, bro.

I don't think that's actually the case. I think that's speculation from afar -- I've recently seen more active Templars, Nobles, and their subjects in Tuluk since 2006. I think it's easy to say 'this is the way it is' if you do not actually play there.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on May 14, 2014, 05:25:05 PM
Why does it need to be as popular? We have a finite amount of players, and we cannot possibly have an even spread among all of the areas of the game.

With that same logic, why is the Tablelands not as popular as Allanak? Or Luir's Outpost?

Each area of the game fills a certain niche, and not all of them are equally populated.

I understand your sentiment but I was hoping for other people to give ideas on how to make Tuluk more populated.

I am fine with you thinking Tuluk doesn't need to be more appealing. I just disagree with you.

With that being said, I just don't think there is any reason for us to continue the conversation, because I can't think of anything else to say. We simply disagree with each other.

Is there anyone else out there who might shine some light on why they think Tuluk is less populated and provide possible solutions I haven't considered?
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Reiloth on May 14, 2014, 05:27:30 PM
Quote from: Is Friday on May 14, 2014, 05:26:33 PM

I don't think that's actually the case. I think that's speculation from afar -- I've recently seen more active Templars, Nobles, and their subjects in Tuluk since 2006. I think it's easy to say 'this is the way it is' if you do not actually play there.
It's not speculation from afar.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Ah, is this yet another thread where we try to prove that the plural of anecdote is indeed data?

Quote from: Reiloth on May 14, 2014, 05:04:25 PM
Saying "Templar Sanctioned Crime" isn't crime is just your opinion. If you're allowed to murder people, rob people, and beat people to an inch of their life legitimately...

Keep in mind that people choose where to play based on their opinions. In this particular matter, opinions actually count for a lot more than facts.

I happen to come to practically identical conclusions of Desertman. As a result I never play characters with a criminal bent in Tuluk (or anyone that might develop a criminal bent).

I think you'll find that the opinion that crime is overly difficult in Tuluk is fairly widespread. It would be a simple hypothesis to validate too, as you'd simply need to count of criminal PCs in Tuluk versus criminal PCs in Allanak. Correct for the population difference, and compare. If Desertman is right, the criminal PC population of Alanak will probably be much larger than that of Tuluk, even after correcting for population differences.

I suspect that's exactly what you'd find.

You could do the same thing for all the other professions he mentioned (except Byn, there's IC reasons that are probably widely known why you wouldn't see as many Byn in the north). Gritty and poor PCs, Legionaires, rogue magic users, etc...

Or an even easier experiment: anonymous survey.

Keeping it anonymous and off the boards will prevent the usual avalanche effect of location-bashing that tends to feed on itself, and allows much more focused questions.

Quote from: Desertman on May 14, 2014, 05:27:50 PM
Is there anyone else out there who might shine some light on why they think Tuluk is less populated and provide possible solutions I haven't considered?

People play where they want to play, the game is largely cyclical in terms of playerbase focus and has been for the entirety of its existence, there was a war in which the T'zai Byn sorta got on one side of things and only recently got re-allowed back in Tuluk, crackdown on citizens from opposing cities plus the aforementioned means a seemingly larger playerbase in Allanak, gemmers are more noticed in Allanak and are openly allowed so that provides an avenue for play that isn't present in Tuluk, Tuluki bardic roles are absolutely open for play but not pushed that much since players are allowed to join IC (and at the same time, active bardic roles involved in the machinations of politics and the Tuluki playerbase liven up the experience there), players are worried that if they play in Tuluk in a time of stated upheaval that they might lose their characters (gasp), some players hate Nyr and think not playing in Tuluk will annoy Nyr (lol), things are changing often enough that perhaps this discourages some players from playing there, players think that saying over and over that Tuluk has a low playerbase makes it true all of the time even though at this very moment the logged-in playerbase is evenly split between both city-states (16 in one, 18 in the other), the people that aren't fans of Tuluk tend to be more vocal than people that are either neutral or like it and therefore their views are weighted correspondingly higher in the eyes of the average observer, or maybe it's gith defilers.

Pick one or all of them.  It doesn't really matter.  Possible solutions:  stop making it a problem to fix, and play the game where you want to play it, eventually everything will work itself out.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on May 14, 2014, 07:44:59 PM
some players hate Nyr and think not playing in Tuluk will annoy Nyr (lol)
Quoted for truth.

May 14, 2014, 08:05:52 PM #183 Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 08:14:35 PM by Symphony
Quote from: Desertman on May 14, 2014, 05:27:50 PM
Pick one or all of them.  It doesn't really matter.  Possible solutions:  stop making it a problem to fix, and play the game where you want to play it, eventually everything will work itself out.

This, Is Friday, is QFT.

Have good day!  :D

- Symph

[Edited to Add] You folks make me laugh. Firestorm, firestorm, firestorm! Please, keep going, every day I find more ludicrously entertaining "reasons" and have a running tally.

[Edited to Also Add] How about, for once, saying THANK YOU instead of resorting immediately to the incomprehensible whining that -appears- is the purpose of this thread.

Quote from: musashi on May 27, 2011, 06:24:12 AM
No no you see, by date Ghost means "chased his wife around the house with his penis till she cried".

Most of the thank-yous occurred on pages 1 and 2.  Usually by page 3 or so, any given thread devolves into pickiness.

I love that people care about these things so much, though.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on May 14, 2014, 08:17:38 PM
I love that people care about these things so much, though.

Quote from: musashi on May 27, 2011, 06:24:12 AM
No no you see, by date Ghost means "chased his wife around the house with his penis till she cried".

Quote from: Reiloth on May 14, 2014, 05:25:05 PM
Why does it need to be as popular? We have a finite amount of players, and we cannot possibly have an even spread among all of the areas of the game.

Because the other major population center needs to have more than 0 characters visible in the city when there are 62 players online.

You need a good place to play different characters, one that is full and vibrant to give contrast and conflict to the other side, so that things like 'war' and 'skirmishes' become meaningful. You need a place where players can rotate characters too, distancing themselves from previous IC circumstances. Some place where you can send spies to.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

May 15, 2014, 10:41:42 AM #187 Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 11:50:55 AM by Desertman
Pick one or all of them.  It doesn't really matter.  Possible solutions:  stop making it a problem to fix, and play the game where you want to play it, eventually everything will work itself out.

I can't help but read this and picture Nyr doing this....

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

While I don't really mind these changes (only the -way- they have happened), it gives me hope that one day Tuluks criminal element will be fleshed out (like D-man said, it's not -really- about Shadow Artists...).

Tuluk reminds me (from its Documents and how its run) of any major city in the Soviet Union from 1970-1980. Everything was controlled by the state. Everyone had to join the Communist Party or be doomed. People often disappeared. Neighbors reported on neighbors yet everyone was all smiles with propaganda under the Red Star. Subtly was the way of life. If you spoke too loud about the wrong thing, you could get reported and bad things would happen. This was -real life-.

But know this. In that environment, criminals and subversive elements WITHIN THE SYSTEM did live in the cracks and shadows and had -zero- to do with the state or the party members.
Czar of City Elves.

Surely the closing of the Firestorm is just a plot hook to have a Goonies-esque adventure, downhill ski race, and/or a break dance competition to raise the money to save the youth center... err I mean Firestorms from the evil land developlers.. err I mean Imms.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Join the Levies, a fun-loving band of goofballs and misfits, as they come together to travel the perilous tunnels of Undertuluk to find the lost treasure of Precentor Kul and buy back their favorite tavern from the evil Qynar authority!
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on May 16, 2014, 04:27:35 PM
Join the Levies, a fun-loving band of goofballs and misfits, as they come together to travel the perilous tunnels of Undertuluk to find the lost treasure of Precentor Kul and buy back their favorite tavern from the evil Qynar authority!

You know, that would actually be a fun adventure.

Except...

there's no more Undertuluk

#stillbitter
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Ender on May 16, 2014, 04:16:06 PM
Surely the closing of the Firestorm is just a plot hook to have a Goonies-esque adventure, downhill ski race, and/or a break dance competition to raise the money to save the youth center... err I mean Firestorms from the evil land developlers.. err I mean Imms.

Way to fucking ruin a plot Ender!
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

We're pushing this change back to tomorrow.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

What time will this happen roughly and will their be much (if any) down time?
Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: Dakota on May 19, 2014, 02:46:04 PM
What time will this happen roughly and will their be much (if any) down time?

Tuesday, May 20, with minimal (if any) downtime.

Oh, quick question.  Will the cotton fields be in a safe place within the walls?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

The cotton fields are where they've always been.  That top level map provided by Tiernan does not show the cotton fields or any of the Barrens because that is not related to the city-state remapping.

May 19, 2014, 03:58:40 PM #198 Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 04:05:37 PM by Barsook
Stupid question but to check if I understand, will there be some places where grebbers can greb safely?  Those Barrerns?  For some reason, I have read those barrerns are the Old Quarter/City.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Barsook on May 19, 2014, 03:58:40 PM
will there be some places where grebbers can greb safe fully?

Are we still talking about Armageddon here?