Idea: Two people on the same mount

Started by Kaineus, April 22, 2014, 11:52:29 AM

Multiple people on the same mount?

Two people on a mount is a good idea!
Screw two people, I want all five of my mates on this inix with me!
This is a terrible idea, keep things the way they are.
April 22, 2014, 11:52:29 AM Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 12:47:36 PM by Kaineus
I searched the forums for this and didn't find anything posted / posted recently.

Here are some ideas on how this would work:
- You cannot fight while mounted if more than one person is on the mount.
- Only one person would hitch the animal and be considered the main rider.
- Weight restrictions would still apply and the riders' weight would be summed (just like packed goods, etc).
- The main rider can kick off the other people on the mount with some command.
- [Edit/added] Can be skill dependent, just like hitching multiple mounts.

I've seen countless characters alternate walking and riding while sharing one mount, more or less achieving the same effect stamina wise that two people on the same mount achieves. But if anything switching walking and riding--particularly when an inix is involved--seems less realistic rather than more realistic. I think a feature like this would be another one of those nice features that make things feel more immersive.

I realize this would probably be a royal pain to code. It's just an idea.

Here's a clip from my favorite second favorite 1990s fantasy anime Lodoss War that depicts just this:
You see a swarthy human warrior on top of a white horse.
You see a blonde elven sorceress on top of a white horse, riding with a swarthy human warrior.

>kill ALL OF THEM

I like it! Wanted something like this for a long time.

I dig it.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Yup good good good... GREAT!
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

I approve.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

I do not.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Why?
Fredd-

I approve.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I've wanted this for ages.  Maybe not with all critters (sorry erdlus) but definitely the larger ones who would easily be able to carry two people.

Brings a whole new meaning to riding off into the sunset with your mate/spouse/fuck buddy.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Also it would be nice if you could put unconscious people on your mount, either alone or with you depending on sizes. It's already possible to do, sort of, but it looks really silly code-wise.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: ShaLeah on April 22, 2014, 07:11:19 PM
I do not.

Seriously, why? If you can pack multiple corpses to your beetle they should easily be able to carry another person.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 23, 2014, 12:52:42 AM
Quote from: ShaLeah on April 22, 2014, 07:11:19 PM
I do not.

Seriously, why? If you can pack multiple corpses to your beetle they should easily be able to carry another person.

Pack the person and I'll be okay with it.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

If you don't have a good reason it's okay, you can just say it's your opinion or something like that.  :P

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 23, 2014, 01:09:20 AM
If you don't have a good reason it's okay, you can just say it's your opinion or something like that.  :P

fa·ce·tious
fəˈsēSHəs/Submit
adjective
treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.
synonyms:   flippant, flip, glib, frivolous, tongue-in-cheek, ironic, sardonic, joking, jokey, jocular, playful, sportive, teasing, mischievous; More

NOTHING HAS BEEN EDITED FROM THE ABOVE PASTE!

April 23, 2014, 01:36:46 AM #15 Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:40:08 AM by Harmless
pack someone? Hm.

>nosave pack

You will no longer attempt to resist being packed on a mount.

>nosave pack

You will now resist being packed unless subdued.

>pack Amos

You help Amos up onto the back of your brown inix's saddle.

Others see:
Talia helps Amos up onto the back of her brown inix.

Amos types:

>dismount

You get off the back of a brown inix's saddle.

(if amos was subdued and forcibly packed, check flee skill: if fail:)

You try but are unable to escape from the back of a brown inix!
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

April 23, 2014, 01:40:16 AM #16 Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:51:20 AM by FreeRangeVestric
I love the overall idea. I wanna ride off into the sunset with my trusty sidekick behind me!

For some reason, I'm not crazy about the proposed way to set up the ldesc of the second person on the mount. I'll edit this if I can come up with a better idea once my brain is functioning properly.

Quote from: ShaLeah on April 23, 2014, 01:31:31 AM

fa·ce·tious
fəˈsēSHəs/Submit
adjective
synonyms:   flippant, flip, glib, frivolous, tongue-in-cheek, ironic, sardonic, joking, jokey, jocular, playful, sportive, teasing, mischievous; More

I'll facet you, missy!

Quote from: ShaLeah on April 23, 2014, 01:31:31 AM

fa·ce·tious
fəˈsēSHəs/Submit
adjective

And this right here is why I didn't even bother wondering what she meant. There had been too many comments saying "I agree", so she had to be contrary. That's what makes Sha fun.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Like I'd be able to understand a woman. HAH!

Quote from: FreeRangeVestric on April 23, 2014, 01:40:16 AM
For some reason, I'm not crazy about the proposed way to set up the ldesc of the second person on the mount. I'll edit this if I can come up with a better idea once my brain is functioning properly.

If anyone has recommendations for how this would look in an ldesc, moving, please share :) The example above was just a joke

Speaking of elves, that's the one plausible argument that I can see against this -- this arguably increases the utility of riding even more, which is a pity for elves who don't have the option to ride at all. However, the built in disadvantage of not being able to attack when more than one living person is on a mount would balance out any benefits of this new feature IMO. I bet a Soh elf would delight in easily picking off two idiot humanoids riding into the sunset on the same beast in Soh lands.

Hmm, that pack command for a person might be what we need.
Fredd-

Yes, but should affect speed and endurance.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

If an inix can carry a half-giant and their stuff, it should be able to carry two people.

Word, dawg.
Whatever happens, happens.