What does your half-elf do in the face of insult?

Started by Natterjack, March 23, 2014, 09:43:22 PM

Elves are different to humans in most things. Is disgust the right word to use? Breeds are very useful (and disposable). Disgust that one of theirs has lain with a human, or just a joke that they've caused more angst amongst the silly round ears?

Quote from: solera on March 30, 2014, 01:16:42 PM
Elves are different to humans in most things. Is disgust the right word to use? Breeds are very useful (and disposable). Disgust that one of theirs has lain with a human, or just a joke that they've caused more angst amongst the silly round ears?

I'd wager this depends on whether or not the breed'd parent would be from your tribe or not. If the breed has no ties to you then sure, it can be a funny joke. If it is tied to you in some way, anger and outrage are much more likely to follow.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

stick a boot in the loudmouths face, then go find a roundear to sleep with....... that's always fun when playing a half-ear. Just like has been said have to wait a little bit before doing this.

I miss my half-elf... he was fun to play, specially with the crowd that I played with. As for mul's well have your half-elf beat a few of them and people will step back away from him. uuuuuugggg going to have to roll up a half ear some time this century.

who wants to get ate fiiiiirst?
Sweet chaos let it unfold upon the land.
Guided forever by my adoring loving hand.
It is I the nightmare that sleeps but shall wake.

That is a bad example to set for normal half-elven behavior.

Says who?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Humans fucking half-elves is so fucking weird to me. I can only think it's oocly motivated.

The other way around though, what half-elf wouldn't want some lovin'?

Quote from: Jingo on March 30, 2014, 08:34:44 PM
Says who?
If every half-elf reacted to every insult with an attempted boot to the instigator's face, then attempted to go out for some roundear tail, there would soon be no half-elves left.

Half-breeds are the greatest things in game, IMO... My next character will certainly be one. Too much fun to let the rest of you have it all.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I would totally kank an orc IRL.

Quote from: MeTekillot on March 30, 2014, 09:07:37 PM
Quote from: Jingo on March 30, 2014, 08:34:44 PM
Says who?
If every half-elf reacted to every insult with an attempted boot to the instigator's face, then attempted to go out for some roundear tail, there would soon be no half-elves left.

If that half-elf was a kuraci outrider, the instigator better expect more than just a boot to the face.

Not to say that it would be bad for a random city-dwelling half-elf to start a fight over being insulted. It's not in the doc's so it's completely free form.

Honestly people, stop trying to put your play preferences on other people.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on April 01, 2014, 07:07:57 AM
If that half-elf was a kuraci outrider, the instigator better expect more than just a boot to the face.

The half-elf Kuraci outrider hardly represents the typical half-elf. When we're talking about half-elf norms, we're talking about the half-elf that only depends on himself, the half-elf without a posse.

Not to say that it would be bad for a random city-dwelling half-elf to start a fight over being insulted. It's not in the doc's so it's completely free form.

Saying it's completely free form takes it a step too far. Every player is free to play against social norms, but those norms are still overseen by staff. Some aspects of the culture are not up for debate, such as the fact that typical half-elves are solitary, independent, social outcasts.

Honestly people, stop trying to put your play preferences on other people.

The whole point of this thread is to ask other people's opinion on the matter so... ?

QuoteSaying it's completely free form takes it a step too far. Every player is free to play against social norms, but those norms are still overseen by staff. Some aspects of the culture are not up for debate, such as the fact that typical half-elves are solitary, independent, social outcasts.

It's completely free form within the guidelines spelled out by the documentation. As for culture? I've been playing this game for over ten years and the in game cultures has shifted substantially during those times. It's never been a set in stone thing. And even if we agree that the "culture" would frown on a half-elf acting out, it doesn't mean that the player can't choose to play the character that way. Since even with established norms, deviant behavior is commonplace.

The whole point of this thread is to ask other people's opinion on the matter so... ?

It annoys me when players rag on other players about their play because their conception of the game world is so rigid.

Look guys, it's this debate again!

(gif courtesy of Brytta)

It keeps coming up for a reason, I think.

How would a typical half-half react to an insult?
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

By ankle-biting, and then crying about how socially ostracized it is later, if I'm understanding the new racial dynamics correctly.

I'm just glad we finally got rid of those damned dorfs.

"Phuk. Off."

-dorf
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Plot revenge while listening to Nirvana or somesuch. Cut up IG.

From a human perspective, I have a difficult time reviling half-elves more than elves. Elves would be at the top of my list of abhorrently disgusting creations. They've infiltrated our cities, leach off our culture, our assets, insinuating themselves among us. They have these awful, elongated bodies and they pride themselves on the skills most cultures agree are adverse to community spirit. They're utterly disgusting, creeping about, dragging their long, coin-greedy fingers through the air.

I avoid them and interacting with them.

Half elves I feel a little more comfortable openly shunning. They're awful because they're a mating between a human and THAT. Whether by force or, unthinkably, choice, they should never exist. So when I deal with them I keep in mind that they're certainly the manifest product of an act of rape and shouldn't exist and treat them accordingly.

As a half-elf, if I can hide as a human, I never tell. Anyone. Ever. If I'm openly a half-elf, I take what's dished out and try to stick to places where the disgusting truths behind my existence can be occasionally overlooked. I've never played a half-elf who appears elven, but I imagine the same applies in reverse.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Accept it, it's probably true anyway. Add it to the litany of derogatory crap you already are.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Somewhat how Kol says. I accept it, because it's true. But I react to that ownership however I react to all the other truths about my existence. If I'm emo, it adds to my emoness. If I chin-up and take it like a champ, then I chin-up like the champ I am. Or anything else inbetween. It could be "I suck, why don't I just die, I'm too much of a coward to kill myself, woah is me pity sob whine." Or it could be "yeah I'm a lousy half-neck stinkin piece of shit, and I'mma pop my boot in your ass for reminding me of it."
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.